First ride with the Archon X1 upgrade!

Lol

we need somebody to do a comparison back to back, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve ridden a Brose but I’m super impressed

I can probably get the shop in Flagstaff to let me ride one when I’m back in two weeks if no one gets to it before then

Lol

we need somebody to do a comparison back to back, it’s been a couple of years since I’ve ridden a Brose but I’m super impressed

I can probably get the shop in Flagstaff to let me ride one when I’m back in two weeks if no one gets to it before then
PLease do. That would be .. very interesting to say the least.

For me it's good enough. Light years ahead of the stock controller. Here is some perspective from European users on ES comparing to Shimano:

If nobody can do it by then I will try

but really we need someone other than me to test them

I have owned a lot of different bikes and am not the big fan of the low power euro drives that are supposed to be so much smoother

not as convinced they are the be all/end all like some people think

and I am probably not as advanced/in tune on the pas as some

hopefully somebody else has a friend with brose and can test them back to back

will say this- it is smooth enough for me! I love it

For me it's good enough. Light years ahead of the stock controller. Here is some perspective from European users on ES comparing to Shimano:

Nice. Personally as long as we are in the ballpark 😊 and being mentioned in the same breath....
Pretty incredible.

A good buddy of mind has a Brose based e-bike and the Archon X-1 makes my UCP power come on as smoothly as it dose on my buddy’s e-bike, if not more so. Whenever I’m riding where there’s traffic noise masks out the motor, I can forget I’m on an e-bike as I can’t detect any of the power surges I got with old controller. I agree, Pushkar, ramp up the marketing budget.

Good info on the Shimano and I don’t like Shimano at all...

Rode an E7000 and an e8000 in California last year and thought they were really surgy, rough

in defense of those two bikes they were rental bikes so maybe people had been beating on them but they were definitely not smooth

at the time thought they were the worst med drive I had ever ridden

I have the E5000 and think it’s a dog, it’s smooth but it’s not putting out any power so there’s really no way to compare

it’s for sale if anybody wants it LOL

would imagine all this stuff is advancing very quickly, maybe the shimano bikes I rode were a year or two old at that point

either way I am super happy with the ultra/archon

might slighty tweak power levels here and there but even if I did not am totally fine with it how it is

World class super bike should be leading the pack not in the ballpark IMHO, what can be done on the actual torque sensor part to improve it?

I am familiar and (love it when it works) with Stromers with 26 inch wheels, how does the compare to the
X1 setup. Anybody ridden both?

Good info on the Shimano and I don’t like Shimano at all...

Rode an E7000 and an e8000 in California last year and thought they were really surgy, rough

in defense of those two bikes they were rental bikes so maybe people had been beating on them but they were definitely not smooth

at the time thought they were the worst med drive I had ever ridden

I have the E5000 and think it’s a dog, it’s smooth but it’s not putting out any power so there’s really no way to compare

it’s for sale if anybody wants it LOL

would imagine all this stuff is advancing very quickly, maybe the shimano bikes I rode were a year or two old at that point

either way I am super happy with the ultra/archon

might slighty tweak power levels here and there but even if I did not am totally fine with it how it is

Vincent, Did you by any chance take pictures of your motor swap? I'm sure you mentioned it but I missed it ... did you do it yourself or have it done? 🙂

Boy, I've tried to keep up with some of those convos on endless sphere and I'm absorbing maybe 10% of the content. :oops: Wish I could go back 50 years and study electrical engineering. Wish I had the mental horsepower. I'm not even really in this game yet but I try. It's just too dang bad Bafang doesn't know what they don't know. I enjoy watching the better videos coming out of Europe about their bikes and their adventures but they tick me off at the same time. They work very hard at ignoring the world of 'decently powered ebikes' . Maybe we scare them. IDK. With all of Europe's massive regulatory infrastructure they are STUCK with their restricted motors. Why do most Americans pile on that wagon? ( Don't bother, I know. )

Back on track: The Bafang motor is a golden opportunity and Pushkar is perfectly positioned to extract it's potential. Shoot, electrical motors are a golden opportunity and anybody can take advantage. They've been out there for a hundred years just waiting. But petroleum got in the way. I wish I had another few decades to enjoy this renaissance. 👍👍👍

I have ridden stromer and brose is definitely as smooth as a stromer
if not more

I would say with archon it’s comparable

I did not take pictures of the motor swap, paid the shop to do that and it took maybe 20 minutes to get it off there and I was not there when they put it back on

Thx Vincent...sounds good since this is one of my favorites points on the Stromer. I would note that the
PAS on Stromer is almost instantaneous not a even a 1/16th of a revolution, even less ...(when working [yes, I am bitter towards Stromer])

My Trek with Bosch is also pretty smooth and instantaneous but no low end at all so when taking off from a start it feels lathargic. I need to test a Shimano but no class 3 so it isn’t a real challenger but the comments are intriguing.

Pushkar , is there a way to use a TMM sensor instead of the built in bottom bracket ? Just thinking out loud, no idea if this is even a decent question

Last edited:
Hmm I don’t know if it comes on instantaneous, actually with the archon felt there is more lag than stock getting started

I meant the pas is smooth, misunderstood your question

since it has not really bothered me and I can get it rolling with the throttle have not tried different gears or pas levels to see if I can eliminate this

to me it all part of the smoothness question, natural feel with power, delay is not natural . A small delay is not as important as lack of surge of any kind but when comparing it part of the equation ....and of course “I want it all !” on my world class bike.

is there a way to use a TMM sensor instead of the built in bottom bracket ? Just thinking out loud, no idea if this is even a decent question

TMM4 by itself is inferior to the bottom bracket hall type torque sensor. Don't be fooled by Stromer's smoothness since Stromer has two additional sensors and it is a combination of all three that gives that smoothness.

when did they start using more then 1 sensor? It does work well (when it works). I have ridden them when they were 36 volt through ST2s, always smooth

if this bike is this smooth ride would be a happy owner

when did they start using more then 1 sensor? It does work well (when it works). I have ridden them when they were 36 volt through ST2s, always smooth

if this bike is this smooth ride would be a happy owner

I don't know about st1 but st2 has it.

Back