First post looking to get my first e-bike?

flyfishsick

Region
USA
Hi
this is my first post and i'm looking for some help on getting my first e-bike. i did countless searches on the Internet and YouTube but the more I search the more I'm getting confused. do i go for a hub drive or a mid drive?
Today a test road ( first time ever riding a e-bike ) on a Cannondale Tesoro and WOW!!!! i was impressed!!!! but WOW that thing is $$$$ !!!! So now i need to get one but looking to not spent quite that much.
here are my options i was thinking about. I was looking into the Ride1up LMT'D. looks good and the price is right but it's a hub drive and i think that Ride1up no longer has the torque sensor?
option 2 would be to look for a mid drive bike in the $2000 - $3000 price rang something with a front suspension?

or option 3 is I have an older Cannondale Jekyll 4000 SL that was my go to bike for a long time and doing a mid drive conversation to it?

Not looking for anything extreme mostly looking to ride around town and some Gravel paths.

so what do you think? What should i do? help me spend my money. :) any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks!!!

Hi
this is my first post and i'm looking for some help on getting my first e-bike. i did countless searches on the Internet and YouTube but the more I search the more I'm getting confused. do i go for a hub drive or a mid drive?
Today a test road ( first time ever riding a e-bike ) on a Cannondale Tesoro and WOW!!!! i was impressed!!!! but WOW that thing is $$$$ !!!! So now i need to get one but looking to not spent quite that much.
here are my options i was thinking about. I was looking into the Ride1up LMT'D. looks good and the price is right but it's a hub drive and i think that Ride1up no longer has the torque sensor?
option 2 would be to look for a mid drive bike in the $2000 - $3000 price rang something with a front suspension?

or option 3 is I have an older Cannondale Jekyll 4000 SL that was my go to bike for a long time and doing a mid drive conversation to it?

Not looking for anything extreme mostly looking to ride around town and some Gravel paths.

so what do you think? What should i do? help me spend my money. :) any help would greatly be appreciated.

thanks!!!
Here ya go. Great bike. Plenty of power.

Thanks looks interesting? I wonder how the Bafang motor at 750w and higher voltage would compare to the Bosch new motor ??? Down the rabbit hole I go again!!!

Looks like all the top big-name companies are using the high and motors ( Bosch Yamaha ) and all the no-name third-party companies are using Bafang? is it possible that Bafang is just inflating their numbers to sucker in customers? I don't understand? Bafang motors are 750w - 1000w and the Gen 4 Bosch is i think 250w???
Not trying to upset all the fanboys of Bafang or Bosch and I'm not trying to start a war between the two brands just looking to make the best decision on getting my first e-bike.

Your 'top big name companies' are Eurocentric if not wholly European. The EU has mandated 250 watt nominal power motors although the manufacturers cheat that several different ways but they can only fudge it so much. Bafang motors are hardly allowed in Europe and are mostly ridden on private property or on the 'down low' so to speak. So most of Bafang's sales are in Asia and N and S America. A lot of Bafang powered bikes have throttles. The Eurocentric bikes do not. Bafang makes fine motors. Just not as fancy as the European and Japanese configurations. Plus they are easy to work on and can be rebuilt or refitted to a bike by anyone with just a bit of mechanical ability. I'm not good with electronics myself but was able to change out my Frey AM 1000 motor for the more powerful Wattwagons version quite easily. The wiring is literally plug and play. Try that with a Bosch motor.

There have been many discussions in the past here on Bafang powered bikes vs European bikes. Try searching 'why just 250 watts' or 'Bafang vs Bosch' if you really want some fun, search 'throttle'. Look around on you tube as well.

Last edited:
i was looking into these three

Cube Reaction Hybrid

Diamondback Responce

Cannondale Tesoro

the last 2 are American companies i think? so that's odd that they would use euro motors unless they have a big market in Europe? It also seams that the high end under powered euro motors keep up with or out do the cheaper high wattage motors? i need to find some videos with the 2 compared.

more research!!

I was looking into the Ride1up LMT'D. looks good and the price is right but it's a hub drive and i think that Ride1up no longer has the torque sensor
The word is that the LMTD will be coming back with the torque sensor later this year or next.

As far as Ride1Up no longer having a torque sensor, that's not true. The Prodigy models have torque sensors and are available for order now but not expected to ship until January. The Prodigy models are mid-drive Brose based e-bikes that use a torque sensor. Quiet and responsive.

i was looking into these three

Cube Reaction Hybrid

Diamondback Responce

Cannondale Tesoro

the last 2 are American companies i think? so that's odd that they would use euro motors unless they have a big market in Europe? It also seams that the high end under powered euro motors keep up with or out do the cheaper high wattage motors? i need to find some videos with the 2 compared.

more research!!

Responce has better, brakes, fork, more powerful motor 45kmhr motor and excellent road tyres make for fast commuter. Change tyres and you have well spec eMTB. Unfotunately being class3 (45kmhr) you won't be allowed on the trails.

Cons no lights, mudguards, rack or kick stand all big pluses for commuting. But these can be added later but at cost and never as good as factory ones.

Cube can be had with mudguards etc in allroad version. Entry level brakes, fork and 9spd drivetrain. PerformanceLine motor is great allrounder but best matched to 10 or 11spd with wider range of gears 11-42t OK, 11-46t ideal for offroad exploring.

Treasco NEX 2 seems best spec CX 32kmhr motor and wide gear range.

the last 2 are American companies i think? so that's odd that they would use euro motors unless they have a big market in Europe?
Cannondale is the fourth largest bike brand worldwide. Don't think they make e-bikes in the United States. And yes, they primarily sell to Europe. I could buy a Cannondale Topstone Lefty Neo even on Monday if I liked.

So-called Euro motors define the high end of the market. Some of so-called Euro motors are Japanese (Shimano, Yamaha).

As @reed scott said above, TEST RIDE as many bikes as you can! By all means, read up on the subject and you've found the perfect place to do it! You're also doing the right thing by asking questions. There are many here who are willing to help. The suggestions you read here are a good place to start but ultimately, you are the one who will ride the bike and it must meet your personal needs and preferences. One size does not fit all and what works for some, may not for you. That's why it's so important to test ride.

A few basic things to keep in mind as you shop:
1 - It is unlikely you will find a bike with everything you want. Accessories like saddles, handlebars, grips, suspension seat posts, fenders, racks, etc. are fairly easy to add or swap.
2 - If you plan to ride in areas with a lot of hills, a mid drive may be a good choice.
3 - Check the regulations where you plan to ride. Class 2 and 3 e-bikes are not permitted in many parks, cities and trails.
4 - Your first bike may not be your last. Many riders sell or trade for a model better suited to their needs. Many more buy a second or third bike to use for different riding conditions
5 - Do you need a step thru frame? You may be able to swing a leg over a diamond frame now but consider the future. Your bike may outlast your joints.
6 - Do you need a throttle? (class 2, check your local regulations) They are convenient for quick starts on hills or to get across a busy intersection. A throttle may also get you home if you have a medical or mechanical issue while riding.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search!

In agreement with Reed Scott. Depending where you, more test rides would help narrow down your choices.
Another vote for test drives of as many different types as you can get a chance to ride. Heavyweight vs Lightweight, Hub drive vs Mid drive, Throttle, PAS, or Torque sensing ... all ride very differently.
Most Trek, Giant, and Specialized stores will rent you a bike and apply the rental fee to a purchase IF they have stock available . And it's a fun and inexpensive day out.
Edit I meant cadence vs torque above , both are PAS.

Hi

thanks!!!
Check this bike in EBR reviews with full specs. I´ve 4k mi. with no issues after upgrading the stock tires.
Boocoo power & range, sturdy, price kept low by using tried & true generic parts instead on model
specific parts. NCM Moscow $1200, also you might check the NCM Milano cheaper but still good
quality for the price. Obviously highly accessorized & personalized possible with low initial cost
PICT0001.jpg

Back