First impressions of my CCS 2nd production bike:

Reid

• It's a brilliant red. Really super vibrant red.
  • I am already customizing.
  • The battery has a bad cell or something. It has shut down for good. But for the forty miles or so it worked, this bike was a revelation of quality and performance; Juiced will send me another battery soon.
    20171228_151313.jpg
    the photo shows black ace bandage material I wrapped around the chainstay for short term protection against chain-slap paint chipping. Two small chips, showing light color primer below, occured on the first few rides.
I am having a hard time coming up with any other criticisms for now. Of course there are flaws: too much assist, even on eco mode. That is not much of a flaw, more like a design choice. No way to ride the bike manually except by shutting off the power (and the headlight). But I have already "fixed" that oversight.

The bike is impressively right in all the big and in most of the little ways. I think it is an excellently calculated design and execution. I would make no changes for the overall market.

But, sure, I am going to customize it for my own cranky likes! Like, more bar elevation and installation of a 450mm straight bar...and I find that I don't need or want a thumb throttle, so it is gone already...and now, what is with brake inhibitors to kill the motor; whatever for in a pedelec? Regulations require them. But I am not regulated and know to stop pedalling when I want to stop a bike. Therefore, the brake inhibitors are no more on my CCS; I am reassigning their kill function to let me pedal manually while keeping the bike's very nice 1,000 lumen headlight on and the system powered up, ready to assist me when I flip a small switch (or move a small magnet farther from the eviscerated inhibitor's reed switch).

First impressions include, that Tora has produced a literally super bike that is almost beyond any fundamental criticism. Yet it is a bike that is still eminently customizable by the customer who likes to wrench and ride.

Last edited:
The best way I can help promote this quality + value bike...and I am a booster...is to share, in real time, proof of the good intentions and increasing effectiveness of Juiced Bikes Support. At 1:46AM EST Support wrote,

Good evening Reid. Apologies for the delay we will be shipping a replacement pack tomorrow if possible as we have had a couple of shipping delays due to the season

Please help us with the following inspection to review the bike setup

First lets start with a clean slate so we can review the symptoms and zoom on the issue

1- Please go through the Pre trip maintenance ( attached) as normal use will cause some connectors or mechanical items to get loose
Here we add a quick connector guide video
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x9x00y842qf8fx0/AABHzUtla5ZElNshjkRi2gzXa?dl=0
2- during inspection please make note of any wire damage or mechanical damage as well ( pictures)
3- You can use a can of compressed air ( pc duster) to clean up the connections
4- after inspection you can do a quick test and let us know how the bike behaves

Beforehand thank you for your time and attention

Regards

Luis​

Juiced Bikes S2 Team
#SU00008783

I got the bike via UPS day after Christmas. The battery problem showed up on Thursday. A ticket was opened via chat with a JB trainee. Friday I was contacted with news that a replacement pack would be shipped ASAP, pretty swift! especially considering the awkward time frame and the many hundreds of CCS and HF bikes that have just been sent out.

I am happy and I am favorably impressed. But JB has let a lot of people down in the past by being overextended and understaffed and most of all, noncommunicative when communication was most needed to prevent customers from feeling shunted aside. But whether we have been well or ill treated, we are all in this together. All of us, bitterest critics included, would like to help JB improve, to be the marketplace success it can and should be. We see potential and so we promote that potential with our own, to help good people and their good product.

Last edited:
Dear Luis,

The fault is in the battery pack. The pack's charge indicator lights don't even blip on for a sec (they used to).

Internal protection has at last properly shut down the pack completely.

Thank you all at Juiced for sending out a replacement pack so quickly.

Include, please, a handful of your firm's business cards or flyers that I can and I will hand out here,
Here is a great place to promote the utility as well as the joy of riding a Juiced Bikes product.
Our Miami biking weather is perfect this time of year.
It really is as pretty as a picture.
And the CCS that I got the other day? Well, it is too.

Last edited:
Reid, I got my bike on Dec 22nd and got Red as well. Unfortunately in my part of the continent we have had some icy roads and I refrained from testing out the bike too much as I didn't want to risk wiping out. Especially since I know I'd be tempted to test the bike's top speed! I did ride up the hill that I live on and yes the power is nice. The weather is going to warm up a couple of degrees and we're supposed to get some sunny days so hoping to really ride the bike in the next couple of days.

Though I haven't really gotten to ride the bike yet, I agree on the value. It's what attracted me to this bike. I was going to buy a mid-drive, but the value on this bike was too good to pass up.

Dear Luis,

The fault is in the battery pack. The pack's charge indicator lights don't even blip on for a sec (they used to).

Include, please, a handful of your firm's business cards or flyers that I can and I will hand out here,
Here is a great place to promote the utility as well as the joy of riding a Juiced Bikes product.
Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Sounds to me like your being treated as a normal customer should be, that's not special, that's the way it should be, the customer is always right. Unfortunately my fix isn't as simple as yours. I bought the ocean current and unfortunately it was put on the market before the proper r&d was done and I bought to soon leaving me hanging out to dry. I have nothing against juiced that's just how it worked out. As for the people that say I'm whining, if the shoe was on the other foot you wouldn't be so quick to say that. I also splurged for the 17ah battery which put it at almost $2000 . That's not just a drop in the bucket. Anyhow, good luck with your ccs and I hope you have better luck than I did. I finally built my own bike and now am a lot closer to having what I wanted.

this email received at 12:55 PM EST (1 minute ago):
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

ZzALkEFDDrr6PHt3amyVSshcF1rVrJWdFwL0juiw85jxMpdItk1H_4UpmxYXzGpluHBwKuZT6FKhrKOao6FurtcQLNYGJZq8c6_C-mEdIlHB0o45NLAHV1I=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Reid Welch,

Thank you for your order from juicedbikes.com! We wanted to let you know that your order (#3117) was shipped via UPS, UPS® Ground on 12/30/2017. You can track your package at any time using the link below.

Shipped To:
Reid Welch
MIAMI, FL 33133-6437 US

Track Your Shipment: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This shipment includes the following items:

Item # Description Qty
0S Support 1
Battery Pack for CrossCurrent / CrossCurrent S / CrossCurrent AIR / OceanCurrent - 12.8 Ah - Extended Range 1

Thank you for your business and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Dear Luis,

By the way, I was born and raised in Miami and graduated from Hialeah high school back in 1972 when you could walk the streets without worrying about drive bys and such. I now live up the road in Okeechobee, Florida where it's a bit safer and good fishing and outdoor living. Again, good luck.

Gables High 1972 here. And dang, if i didn't live in Hialeah for a few years in the late 1970's to 1983. It was fun while it lasted, those times in those days! Content disappears upon reflection (a coded aside for Rooster!)

Last edited:
I still go to Hialeah regularly, and believe it or not it is a very hot real estate market. How did you guys get the CCS, since I thought they were on backorder till Feb.?

I still go to Hialeah regularly, and believe it or not it is a very hot real estate market. How did you guys get the CCS, since I thought they were on backorder till Feb.?
Hello, Sanford,

The bike I just got less than a week ago was of the so-called second production.

The February bikes will be the third batch.

Hi Reid,

Im on the fence and don't know if I should order the CCS, due to some of the issues I've heard. The only bike remotely close is the E-Glide ST, which, unfortunately is missing some of the features the Juiced has, namely the torque sensor, no motor inhibitors, 1Ah less battery and only 5oo Watt motor. It is using some better components like the Dapu motor, Deore derailleur, remote lockout fork, Panasonic cells, and a suspension seat post. Price is the same, but there is a $175 shipping charge. It is in stock and can be shipped right away. The CCS is definitely faster and a little more of an athletic bike, which I prefer. My real concern is that The CCS may not even ship in February.

Gables High 1972 here. And dang, if i didn't live in Hialeah for a few years in the late 1970's to 1983. It was fun while it lasted, those times in those days! Content disappears upon reflection (a coded aside for Rooster!)
Had some good times in Hialeah and Miami lakes.

Hi Reid,

Im on the fence and don't know if I should order the CCS, due to some of the issues I've heard. The only bike remotely close is the E-Glide ST, which, unfortunately is missing some of the features the Juiced has, namely the torque sensor, no motor inhibitors, 1Ah less battery and only 5oo Watt motor. It is using some better components like the Dapu motor, Deore derailleur, remote lockout fork, Panasonic cells, and a suspension seat post. Price is the same, but there is a $175 shipping charge. It is in stock and can be shipped right away. The CCS is definitely faster and a little more of an athletic bike, which I prefer. My real concern is that The CCS may not even ship in February.
I stand to be corrected, but the third production CCS is slated for 20 January according to their website, where we see also the pre-production announcement of a new model!

The warranty replacement battery pack arrived a couple hours ago. After 10 days of down time using the new CCS as a manual bike, I am ebiking again and having a great time. Thank you Luis and Juiced Bikes for the quick send! Notably, the bike, heavy though it is, glides great on a new set of reflective sidewall, highly efficient Michelin Protek Urban city tires. I've done a lot of pedaling the past 10 days. It has been fun. Also:
For my first grocery store run an hour ago this bike sure beat the car that I cannot park right at the front door of the grocery store.

Am having a really great time. Will take some pictures soon!

Last edited:
I also have a 2nd production run CCS and now that I've gotten a chance to ride it a bit I think this would be a good place to share my thoughts as well as I definitely have a different perspective than Reid.

On the positive side, the bike as much power as I hoped and its easy to maintain 28mph when the conditions allow for it. I also find the throttle to be extremely useful as it means I don't have to downshift when I get to an intersection. I generally just keep it in 8th gear and when the light turns green I give it full throttle and am generally quicker through intersections than cars. I find the stock handlebars to provide a good riding position for me and while I think I would prefer a slightly larger and softer seat the stock one is quite good. The other thing I'm very impressed with is the wheels and tires. The Sapim spokes feel very solid and I haven't had any problems with spoke breakage despite riding at top speed on the rough roads around Dallas. The tubes also hold air very well; in most other bikes I have, the tires need weekly inflation these seem to be able to last for several weeks, but its too soon for me to say exactly how long.

Now onto some of the things I think could be improved. After setting up the bike, the first thing I noticed was that the rack was not straight, I've tried bending it a bit and I may have improved it, but the light is still not centered over the fender. The light that comes with it fits nicely on the rear of the rack but it doesn't flash, its just on solid or off. I think a flashing light is a lot more visible and uses less battery so I don't really understand this choice. While trying to find a replacement light for the back, I've found that its almost impossible to get one that works on the included rack; the rack mount brackets either hit the top of the rack or the top of the fender because the plate you mount it to is not at the back of the rack. For now, I've just opted for a 2nd light on the seatpost, but that's less than ideal since I sometimes carry bulky items on top of the rack.

On the assist settings, I fully agree with Reid that there should be an option to ride with light and no assistance, or at least less than what Eco provides. Sometimes I ride with my wife who doesn't have an electric bike so with the assistance on its sometimes hard to go as slow as a regular bike. Another thing I find mildly annoying is that from a stop the assistance is a bit slow to kick in if I don't use the throttle, I thought with the torque sensor it would be nearly instant, but it seems to take about 1/4 of a rotation before kicking in. Lastly, when playing around with some of the settings I though it might be a good idea to up the minimum voltage on the battery to stop it from discharging all the way and thus prevent damage to the pack or at least act as a warning that the back is nearly dead. Unfortunately, even with a fairly full battery this prevents the bike from getting full power as it seems to drop the voltage significantly when under power.

As for accessories, I'm still looking into some more things, but I've added:
Panniers, a light, a phone holder, and a mount for my bluetooth speaker and am pretty happy with all of them. Today I also got an adjustable bottle cage at my LBS, but I'm finding it difficult to actually get a bottle in and out with the battery there even though it does fit. If anyone has found a bottle cage that wors well on the CCS I'd like to hear about it.

I still want to get a suspension seatpost as well, but haven't worked up the enthusiasm to drop $100+ on one yet and the cheaper ones seem likely to disappoint me.

Attachments

• 20180121_005834.jpg
    20180121_005834.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 798
I also have a 2nd production run CCS and now that I've gotten a chance to ride it a bit I think this would be a good place to share my thoughts as well as I definitely have a different perspective than Reid.

... The light that comes with it fits nicely on the rear of the rack but it doesn't flash, its just on solid or off. I think a flashing light is a lot more visible and uses less battery so I don't really understand this choice. While trying to find a replacement light for the back, I've found that its almost impossible to get one that works on the included rack; the rack mount brackets either hit the top of the rack or the top of the fender because the plate you mount it to is not at the back of the rack. For now, I've just opted for a 2nd light on the seatpost, but that's less than ideal since I sometimes carry bulky items on top of the rack.

On the assist settings, I fully agree with Reid that there should be an option to ride with light and no assistance, or at least less than what Eco provides. Sometimes I ride with my wife who doesn't have an electric bike so with the assistance on its sometimes hard to go as slow as a regular bike.

I put a flashing light on the back of my helmet. Amazon has dozens. I like having two lights anyway, and the helmet light is never obscured by clothing or gear.

I agree with wanting a 0 setting. I'm pretty happy with the Eco at present but it's not hard to imagine wanting no assist at all. And while we're on the subject, I'd prefer if the assist levels were just called 1-5 instead of Eco-1-2-3-S. That's probably more of a quirk on my part, though.

I agree on the assist levels. If I'm telling someone about my ride and I've had it on level 1 and 2 most of the time I just say 2 and 3.

While trying to find a replacement light for the back, I've found that its almost impossible to get one that works on the included rack; the rack mount brackets either hit the top of the rack or the top of the fender because the plate you mount it to is not at the back of the rack. For now, I've just opted for a 2nd light on the seatpost, but that's less than ideal since I sometimes carry bulky items on top of the rack.

Odisappoint me.

Alistair,

I have made a bracket for the rear (check out the link) that fits a specific light that you can get from amazon for $30. If you have access to a 3d printer you can print it yourself as i uploaded the .stl file.

if not PM me and we can work something out.

Andy

20180121_171432.jpg
Hi all. In the thread's opening post, I stated that I have removed the thumb throttle. I removed it because I don't much use a throttle and besides, I had no room for the thumb throttle on the narrow 450mm wide straight bar I prefer to use.

Admittedly, per Alistair and others and the lessons I am learning, it is important to have TAB (throttle assist boost) for starting up from a stop while in a high gear. Toward this end, the other day I fitted a push button. It has a nice clicky feel even though very tiny. All on or off.

The CCS controller is so well thought out, it ramps up the current automatically in such a way that a good acceleration is obtained without jerking the motor with a rush of current. It is gentle but solid acceleration.

This push button "throttle" is not a new idea and it is not likely to be of interest to anyone here. I mention it only for the record. But if anyone wants one of these micro push switches or a small on-off toggle as seen in the picture, send me a pm with your address.

The toggle switch is to kill all assist while maintaining headlight and speedo/odo functions.

Both switches are glued in place. Wiring in of the throttle switch involves a "voltage divider" of two resistors and simple connections to them.

Here is a kit maker that sells only on-off
ebike kits (low power).

At any rate, I'm pleased with the tiny, click of a button I push to get going from 0 mph.
The toggle switch to kill assist simply shorts across a brake inhibitor wire pair.

Attachments

• 20180121_215253.jpg
    20180121_215253.jpg
    942 KB · Views: 562
Last edited:
Back