First ebike Turbo Vado

RJS5689

Region
USA
I picked up my first ebike yesterday! All my riding throughout my life has been on mountain bikes, including my current ride, a Stumpjumper Comp6 Fattie. I recently rented some ebikes with friends and we had a blast riding along paved roads/trails and dirt roads. This got me thinking it might be time to expand my horizons and pick one up for myself. I was torn as to whether or not I wanted to do something like a Turbo Levo to replace my Stumpy, but I worried I wouldn't ride it as much since it's not best suited to paved roads and lite trails. Then I started thinking about some sort of "hybrid" bike but I worried it would be too simpy compared to what I'm used to (I'm also a young, relatively fit 30-something year old).

As you can see, in the end, I settled on a hybrid bike (Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0) in hopes it would get me out riding on days I don't want to schlep my Stumpy to the trails/woods. I took it out for a 25-mile ride after work yesterday and had a blast. I tooled around in "eco" mode for most of my ride, with occasional bursts in "sport" on the steepest of hills.

Initial impressions: it's fun, easy to ride, and is likely to get me out riding on those days I don't feel like loading up and heading to the rough trails with the Stumpy. The tires want to understeer and wash out on loose surfaces such as dirt and gravel. I may have to look into some upgrade options. I'm used to riding on super aggressive fattie tires so I never worry about grip. I really hate the look of the fenders. I would love to remove them but have concerns as to whether or not the front fender is actually needed to protect the motor/battery. I see mixed opinions on this. I have no concerns about getting wet/dirty/muddy (it's something I'm used to and expect while riding a bike). I will also consider fork and drivetrain upgrades down the road as they're not quite what I'm used to.

Final verdict: I'm very happy with my purchase and am looking forward to many happy miles of riding and exploring!
PXL_20220608_221353117.jpg

First of all: Congratulations on your excellent and beautiful Vado! Many happy miles!
I would love to remove them but have concerns as to whether or not the front fender is actually needed to protect the motor/battery
No worries. The long mudflap actually protects the motor chamber against being soiled but the motor is sealed, battery is tight, too, and the electronics are pretty waterproof. I had to remove the mudflap on my older Vado with no ill effects, and I often ride in the rain over very deep puddles (once or twice the motor got immersed in water!)

Note the Tero non-EQ comes without fenders, and it is a very similar e-bike, made for riding in rough terrain, on the mud and over shallow creeks.

I recently sold my Turbo Levo Comp and went the Vado route as well. Really wasn't using the Levo that much accept for when we were in Colorado. To your point, the Levo wasn't the best option for paved roads, chip seal, dirt roads and easy trails. Also, the Levo was a Class I . I think you'll be really happy with your choice.

Back