First ebike purchase

45srbest

Looking to get first ebike. Had a hip replacement so don’t want to push quite as hard as I use to. I’m looking at either the Como or Vado. Where I ride there are rather long stretches of uphill roads and some hills that are very steep but relatively short. (I’m in sw Utah). About 30 miles would be the maximum distance I would be riding. I know the turbo 4.0 version of either wouldn’t have the distance of the 5.0 because of battery size. My question is would the 5.0 version be significantly more powerful for the 30 miles and a lot better for those steep hills?
Additionally, will the new models be coming out soon and I’m better off waiting a little for either discounts on leftovers or perhaps an improved 2021 model?
Thanks in advance folks!

Can’t go wrong with either. If money is not the main priority, I recommend going with 5. I own Vado 5 the amount of power and battery is amazing.
recently I switched my grips to Ergon with horns at the end of handlebar. I find myself riding upright holding the horns instead of the grips more often. The reason for saying this is to make sure to select Vado vs Como correctly.
Como gives you a more upright riding position and you need to assess your riding style first.
Good luck this is a life changing proposition.
btw I rode Vado 6 and fell in love. I then purchased a cheaper ebike. It was OK but my heart was with Vado. I end up selling the other ebike and went back to Vado shop. I was lucky as it is not easy to sell ebike. By then (Sept 2019) Vado 5 was being offered and I got one. The best decision I have made.

Looking to get first ebike. Had a hip replacement so don’t want to push quite as hard as I use to. I’m looking at either the Como or Vado. Where I ride there are rather long stretches of uphill roads and some hills that are very steep but relatively short. (I’m in sw Utah). About 30 miles would be the maximum distance I would be riding. I know the turbo 4.0 version of either wouldn’t have the distance of the 5.0 because of battery size. My question is would the 5.0 version be significantly more powerful for the 30 miles and a lot better for those steep hills?
Additionally, will the new models be coming out soon and I’m better off waiting a little for either discounts on leftovers or perhaps an improved 2021 model?
Thanks in advance folks!
My wife and I ride Vado 5s in our very hilly town. We haven't found a hill they won't climb. Their 600Wh capacity battery gives over 30 miles in range locally, more in rolling terrains.

Test ride both the Como/Vado 4 & 5 if you can. Their riding positions are different so one may be more suitable for you. The 5's extra torque is noticable though the 4 has a smaller chain ring (40t vs 48t) so it can climb quite nicely as well. I do have to say that I like the 5's ability to get up to its 28mph assist limit within my cadence range. Other have reported changing out the 4's chain ring to get higher top end speeds.

I see that the Vado 4 is out of stock on the Specialized site so waiting for new models may be the only viable option, depending on local dealer stock and your model choice. I'm not aware of any signifocant improvements in the 2021 models, but then I only casually follow this since we are quite happy with our bikes.

Have fun with your comparison rides!

My question is would the 5.0 version be significantly more powerful for the 30 miles and a lot better for those steep hills?
I always advocate the 5.0 to people who can afford it. I typically use over 200 W of pedalling assistance (my legs are not in good shape) and I'm getting 50 miles in "Super Eco" (meaning fortified Eco mode), 36 miles in "Steroid Sport mode", and 25 miles in full Turbo mode on Vado 5.0. All on flat. Healthier riders achieve longer range because they use less assistance. Hills tend to "eat" the battery charge, so a bigger battery is better.

On the other hand, in case your legs are OK, you might settle on the 4.0 because you'd certainly not miss torque or power uphill with the 1.2 motor. And if you are sure you wouldn't ride for more than 30 miles be surprised how big distances a Vado or Como user can ride for after getting used to the bike... :)

Back