First ebike: Getting off my Hipster High Horse

A lot depends on how much you will use it. Sounds like a utility bike. So I would not over think, or spend on it. Just get something that works and will not cause a maintenance headache. With the extra money you can add cool bags, baskets, seats etc. It looks pretty hip. The higher end bikes are more for performance oriented folks, and the truth is (for these people) once you know how to ride and are in reasonable shape, e-bikes are not needed with the advances in regular bikes, geometry, tires, gears.
I appreciate you saying this. I bike everyday on a regular bike. Mostly I commute and I love that I get a bit of exercise. We rented some pedegos yesterday and while they were fun, it was quite clear that I wouldn’t get much of a workout. My thinking has shifted a bit more to getting an ebike to share with my wife, like the Aventon Pace 500. I’m also more interested in a torque sensor as it gives more of that regular bike feeling. So the R1U lmt’d is looking more and more appealing. So is the Rize RX though it’s a bit spendy. It is really good to test ride these bikes.

I am definitely over thinking this process though. I’ve appreciated this forum because it has been nice to talk with people about bikes rather than just keeping it in my head.

I believe you're limited by this requirement:
"Heavy and difficult to put in a car (I don’t have an SUV or truck)"
Yes, so regardless of performance:
the eBike must be slim, light, and not too long
That is true. It is limiting. For that reason, I’ve though about getting a folding bike like the Lectric but I know I won’t use it off road or travel wise much at all.

I used to live in Portland. I loved it and miss it. I’m now in Texas. A lot flatter here.

What kind of bike do you take on your long rides? I personally love to take long rides and I have a good bike for it already. But that’s also been what has driven my interest in the Specialized bikes with their awesome range and natural bike feel.

I test road a pedego bike today with a cadence sensor and a 500w motor. It was way too heavy and I don’t love the way the motor made me feel more like I was on a weak moped than an awesome electric bike.
my ebike is a BH rebel gravel X. Similar to Yamaha Wabash or Urban Rush. I like the natural riding experience with the torque sensor and it provides enough assist to take me up anything I have tried. I've don't often use the highest assist level and try to ride without assist as much as possible. I also have taken a non-assist hybrid bike on long rides - last fall on a 120 mile 2 day ride in the Idaho panhandle. I would have had more fun on that ride if I had taken the gravel bike with assist.
I also just installed a 500w (watt meter on the display starts low and gets to well over 800w at higher assist - power seems pretty progressive despite being cadence rather than torque based) geared rear hub motor on an old schwinn sierra mountain bike. It is actually a pretty nice ride and doesn't have a jerky takeoff that some describe for their cadence controlled hub motor bikes. But it weighs almost 55lbs, not the most horrible but not good either. I live in a very hilly area so any ride from home involves some steep and long grades. The Yamaha motor is clearly superior for my riding but the cadence controlled hub isn't bad either - when the weather improves I need to take it out more to get a better idea of what it can do and have a better comparison.
If you like a flat bar bike then Yamaha Cross Core might be something to look at, $2399, <45lbs, dual chainring, Yamaha backed warranty including battery, frame, components (I have read that even some premium brands refer you to the component manufacturer if there is a problem). My biggest concern with a Yamaha is the expensive proprietary battery, probably same issue with Bosh and Shimano though. Newer Yamaha powered bikes have a 500w battery while mine is only 400w. I would love to have the 25% larger capacity battery but I still had over 30% left after my longest ride of 73 miles because I used assist on hills and only sparingly on mild grades or flats.

Yamaha Cross Core, I'd take this any day over a 65# bike like the Rize RX
1612726322017.png

Last edited:
The ranges won't be what you want, but here are 2 more to consider:

Motobecane eMulekick Express
Luna Fixed Stealth
I would recommend both of these models for lightweight stealth hipster EBikes. ;)

1612728252919.png

Last edited:
I appreciate you saying this. I bike everyday on a regular bike. Mostly I commute and I love that I get a bit of exercise. We rented some pedegos yesterday and while they were fun, it was quite clear that I wouldn’t get much of a workout. My thinking has shifted a bit more to getting an ebike to share with my wife, like the Aventon Pace 500. I’m also more interested in a torque sensor as it gives more of that regular bike feeling. So the R1U lmt’d is looking more and more appealing. So is the Rize RX though it’s a bit spendy. It is really good to test ride these bikes.

I am definitely over thinking this process though. I’ve appreciated this forum because it has been nice to talk with people about bikes rather than just keeping it in my head.
One thing a friend mentioned to me the other day. "It is hard to go on an outing with the Family with some on e-bikes and some not. It is just so unequal you are not really together as much." Of course they are in Seattle with many hills.

One thing a friend mentioned to me the other day. "It is hard to go on an outing with the Family with some on e-bikes and some not. It is just so unequal you are not really together as much." Of course they are in Seattle with many hills.
I thought about that yesterday while test riding an ebike. I’m in Texas where it’s pretty flat. I bike everyday but I’m not a speed demon averaging between 11-15mph. I think I could bike alongside my wife though she’d blow me away on the inclines.

my ebike is a BH rebel gravel X. Similar to Yamaha Wabash or Urban Rush. I like the natural riding experience with the torque sensor and it provides enough assist to take me up anything I have tried. I've don't often use the highest assist level and try to ride without assist as much as possible. I also have taken a non-assist hybrid bike on long rides - last fall on a 120 mile 2 day ride in the Idaho panhandle. I would have had more fun on that ride if I had taken the gravel bike with assist.
I also just installed a 500w (watt meter on the display starts low and gets to well over 800w at higher assist - power seems pretty progressive despite being cadence rather than torque based) geared rear hub motor on an old schwinn sierra mountain bike. It is actually a pretty nice ride and doesn't have a jerky takeoff that some describe for their cadence controlled hub motor bikes. But it weighs almost 55lbs, not the most horrible but not good either. I live in a very hilly area so any ride from home involves some steep and long grades. The Yamaha motor is clearly superior for my riding but the cadence controlled hub isn't bad either - when the weather improves I need to take it out more to get a better idea of what it can do and have a better comparison.
If you like a flat bar bike then Yamaha Cross Core might be something to look at, $2399, <45lbs, dual chainring, Yamaha backed warranty including battery, frame, components (I have read that even some premium brands refer you to the component manufacturer if there is a problem). My biggest concern with a Yamaha is the expensive proprietary battery, probably same issue with Bosh and Shimano though. Newer Yamaha powered bikes have a 500w battery while mine is only 400w. I would love to have the 25% larger capacity battery but I still had over 30% left after my longest ride of 73 miles because I used assist on hills and only sparingly on mild grades or flats.

Yamaha Cross Core, I'd take this any day over a 65# bike like the Rize RX
View attachment 78571
I was looking at Yamaha bike. I really appreciate your opinion on this. I thought this bike looked great and the weight is so much better than the Rize.

This would fit the hipster aesthetic at 40lbs. I've been seeing these pop up used in the Bay Area and see quite a few on the road.

This would fit the hipster aesthetic at 40lbs. I've been seeing these pop up used in the Bay Area and see quite a few on the road.
You will want to run and stay far away from Faraday EBikes... they went out of business in 2019.
The reason you see so many for sale is that the owners have not been able to source proprietary parts.

Last edited:
I would recommend both of these models for lightweight stealth hipster EBikes. ;)

View attachment 78578

Ahh, the Propella! That's the other one I was thinking of but didn't remember the name for. They have been around for a little bit too, so figure they have worked out some of the kinks.

@jkhaha What do you mean by 'hipster style'? I noticed you mentioned liking some bikes here that I don't think are the 'hipster aesthetic', but maybe it's not a priority of yours? Also, if you are strictly on the flats, would you consider getting a singlespeed because of the simplicity? You can get a lot more bike that way too!

So now I’m stuck between a few bikes:

The Yamaha Civante
The Priority Current
The Rize RX
The Aventon Level

The Current and Civante look amazing but may require some wait time to buy since they’re more expensive. They’ve got great components and look very cool. It seems like they might be worth the wait.

The Rize RX looks super fun and has a lot of good features for the price. I also like the powerful motor and the 19Ah battery! Also looks fun for some light off-roading!

The Aventon Level is just such good bang for your buck. I’m growing more and more keen on the look of the bike. It’d be great for my commute however its use of that cadence sensor means I’ll get a bit less exercise.

Im having to come to terms with the kind of riding I will most likely do (commenting) vs. the kind of riding I dream of doing (off road and loooong distances). I already commute to work on a road bike (touring bike). I take semi-long rides on the weekends and in the summer. I love the bike I currently have. My biggest reason to not choose the Yamaha is that I already have a very capable bike for long rides and I am relatively physically fit. So that leaves me with two options - a great bike for commuting and hauling. And/or a great bike for commuting and some off roading.

Hmmmmm. What do y’all think?

You being a hipster automatically eliminates my suggestion, though a Trek Allant+7 seems a bit above your budget. For me, having an accessible local shop is mandatory.

That Trek Allant looks awesome. I’ve been eyeing the Yamaha Civante bike. I think I’ve come down off the hipster horse and just want a good ebike.

The Yamaha Civante
The Priority Current
The Rize RX
The Aventon Level

The Current and Civante look amazing but may require some wait time to buy since they’re more expensive. They’ve got great components and look very cool. It seems like they might be worth the wait.
The Rize RX looks super fun and has a lot of good features for the price. I also like the powerful motor and the 19Ah battery! Also looks fun for some light off-roading!
The Aventon Level is just such good bang for your buck. I’m growing more and more keen on the look of the bike. It’d be great for my commute however its use of that cadence sensor means I’ll get a bit less exercise.

Im having to come to terms with the kind of riding I will most likely do (commenting) vs. the kind of riding I dream of doing (off road and loooong distances). I already commute to work on a road bike (touring bike). I take semi-long rides on the weekends and in the summer. I love the bike I currently have. My biggest reason to not choose the Yamaha is that I already have a very capable bike for long rides and I am relatively physically fit. So that leaves me with two options - a great bike for commuting and hauling. And/or a great bike for commuting and some off roading.

It sounds like you are an experienced rider and know your way around bikes as a commuter and tourer. ;)
I would recommend the Civante as the best all-purpose eBike of your listed choices with a lighter more natural feel.
Once I got my first eBike I found that I would ride further and longer than I used to and having an all-purpose bike was key.

The Yamaha Civante
The Priority Current
The Rize RX
The Aventon Level

I also have an unassisted road bike that I love to ride but I’ll choose the Yamaha 7/10 times for the ability to go further and in more places.

816EBF97-2B55-418C-A9B4-0FD9D74F1348.jpeg

Out of the choices, you’ve posted, I think you’ll enjoy the Yamaha or the Priority. My Yamaha does 70% commuting but it’s no slouch on gravel, fire roads and even a bit of single track with the right tires.

The Aventon Pace 500 was my first bike. I believe the level uses the same controller. Fast on flat land but it fell on its face when climbing sustained or steep hills. And the programming was terrible when you need to go slow. Assist level 1 goes to 12MPH. The bike does not like going slow.

Last edited:
I also have an unassisted road bike that I love to ride but I’ll choose the Yamaha 7/10 times for the ability to go further and in more places.

View attachment 79018
Out of the choices, you’ve posted, I think you’ll enjoy the Yamaha or the Priority. My Yamaha does 70% commuting but it’s no slouch on gravel, fire roads and even a bit of single track with the right tires.

The Aventon Pace 500 was my first bike. I believe the level uses the same controller. Fast on flat land but it fell on its face when climbing sustained or steep hills. And the programming was terrible when you need to go slow. Assist level 1 goes to 12MPH. The bike does not like going slow.

Dang! That’s a pretty looking bike! Do you ride the Yamaha Civante? Also, what is the black bottle behind your seat?

It’s the Urban Rush which is pretty much the class 1 equivalent of the Civante. The black bottle is a tool kit.
So I was offered a $500 discount on the Urban Rush today. It'd probably still be available. I also test rode the Cross Core and really liked that. Do you have any thoughts on the difference between the Cross Core and the Urban Rush?

Back