First ebike for a heavy person

funnyletter

I'm looking at getting my first ebike. I'm a total noob and although I'm generally handy I know basically NOTHING about bicycles in general, so I'm a bit adrift.

I weigh about 300 pounds and have asthma so I'm hoping to find something that can do MOST of the work to get me up a hill if necessary (in case my asthma acts up when there's a hill between me and home). I think I prefer a more upright riding posture and would be riding on roads and paved trails for leisure and errands -- bonus for being able to carry 10-15 pounds of groceries/dog food but I'm kind of put off by cargo bikes because they just seem very large, especially since I would never be hauling more than I could carry in panniers or a basket on a rear rack.

I like the look of the RadCity step-thru but I'm worried about the 275 pound weight limit. I also like the sub-$2000 price but if I needed to go higher I could. I'm in the Seattle area so I'm pretty near RadPower, too.

There's also a Pedego store near me but I find the price a little off-putting. That said, if ~$3500 is what it takes to get a decent ebike that will haul me up a hill I can make that work.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking at?

Thanks!

See this thread about some bikes a 330 lb rider found: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/help-choosing-for-heavier-rider.27770/
Not a lot of bikes have a weight limit specified. I'd say you need at least 2.1" cross section tires without cargo. The cargo bikes do have a weight limit, and the stretch versions put your weight more on the front tire. This is good because the rear motor and battery load that up, also any groceries or supplies you carry. My mountain bike with supplies used to weigh 120 lb rear 20 lb front without me on it. This led to several instances of the front wheel whipping sideways on obstructions and throwing me over the handlebars. The yubabike cargo bike shown left hasn't done that yet in 18 months and ~3000 miles. That one is an electric conversion by me, since I don't like mid-drive drag unpowered.
The xtracycle edgerunner has 400 lb limit https://electricbikereview.com/xtracycle/edgerunner-eswoop/ and the yubabikes spicey curry https://electricbikereview.com/yuba/spicy-curry/ has 300 lb limit. I think radwagon is 275.
Surley makes some strong bikes but court hasn't reviewed the electric one.
These are 4 grand bikes. Pedego prices include in-dealership warrenty, which can be quite advantageous if there is a problem.

I got you by a few pounds, and love my Biktrix 1000 ultra with the large battery. With Jones handle bar or a stem riser you get get a real upright ride. The owner is great to deal with and will discuss any questions you have.

Based on the post Indianajo mentioned I'm now looking at the Ariel Rider C class pretty hard... it seems to have cargo bike sturdiness without the size of something like the xtracycle edgerunner. My concern is that although they're in my area they appear to only sell online, so there's no way for me to try out the bike.

It's half the price of a Pedego bike, but the Pedego bike has a store close to me where I can do test-rides. The warranty is also more robust and it would be easier to access help with the bike. But is that worth double the price? Decisions are hard!

test rides and a great warranty are important. i think they are worth spending money on. And if you buy the wrong bike? That local dealer is gold because you can exchange it.

If you can hold out, the Blix Packa looks like it will be a major addition to the cargo bike space. 400 lb. weight limit, but its size is more like a standard bike than a traditional cargo bike. Apparently it won't be available for shipping until July, but you can pre-order. $2,000 is the asking price without additional accessories. Here is Court's review.

As you say in your original post, you know basically nothing about bicycles. Having that local dealer to help you level up is definitely worth the price differential.

If you decide to go with an online order, before you buy you should find a local bike shop who will be willing to help you with small issues as you come up to speed.

before you buy you should find a local bike shop who will be willing to help you with small issues as you come up to speed.

This step involves going to chat with the bike store folks to clarify what they can and cannot do for you and your ebike. I've been in bike shops a few times when a person has called about an ebike repair only to hear that the shop tech say "No," or where a someone asking in person about ebike repairs walked away disappointed. I know folks who have assumed that a local ebike shop or local bike shop would be able to support their ebike, only to find that it cannot do so.

Pedego has a lot of experience with, and features that are helpful for, larger riders. And, while the bike pricetag also means friendly, no-questions-asked (except questions to figure out how to help you!) parts-and-labor warranty support that is LOCAL, boots-on-the-ground, if you have a dealer near where you live.

Full disclosure: I am a happy Pedego customer, but have no financial interest in Pedego.

Back