First e-bike for an inexperienced (out of shape) rider

cedarfire

Region
USA
Hi all! I am an out-of-shape late 30-something from the Northern USA, and I am considering purchasing an e-bike as a possible way to get back into shape (I know I wouldn't make it very far on a traditional bike in my present condition). One of the few outdoor activities that I currently enjoy is ice fishing. I have heard that a fat tire e-bike can be used in on frozen lakes and ponds, as well. Unfortunately, it seems like the price of entry is fairly high for a good quality bike, and there are a lot of e-bikes out there on the used market that aren't the greatest quality. I found one locally that looks intriguing, but I just don't know enough about e-bikes in general (and custom-built bikes specifically) to know whether this is a good deal or not. The listing says that it is "based on a Recon IV with many upgrades." The actual brand-name Recon bikes look great (https://www.reconpowerbikes.com/), but I can't seem to find anything about a model "IV" specifically.

So, I guess my question is, does this look like a quality build, or should I pass (and if so, is there something else you can recommend for someone in my situation)?

00i0i_javmTygyAdVz_0i90h4_1200x900.jpg

Custom beach bike less than 3 months old and ridden once - based on Recon IV with many upgrades.
48v 900w with rapid charger.
4" fat tires with off road rins.
Disc brakes with instant-off safety sensors.
Fully adjustable goose neck - very comfortable ride.
Back rack & cooler/storage.
Front and rear LED for safety.
80 mile range.
Best for 5'6"-6'1" riders.
Lots of time and money invested - sacrificing for $2000 or bo.

I vote Pass. For one example is a garbage drivetrain. It is a 14-28 Tourney screw on freewheel cluster of the kind that rusts and falls apart and the shifter and derailleur are from the bottom bin. That is a good indicator for the rest of the build.

I'm not promoting fat tire bikes in any shape or way, but I can share that the price of the one you're looking at is a COMPLETE rip off. Why?

Here's a brand new fattie, which happens to be one of the most popular bikes ever sold by one of the most popular bike companies, bar none. If the web price is correct, they're offering this normally $1999. bike for 1299. NEW!

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/colle...electric-fat-tire-bike?variant=39465952706656

Oh, and that advertised range of 80 miles for the one you have listed above is a total load of crap.... Not happening. You'll be doing good to get half of that, and more likely half of that (20 miles).

What do you mean by 48V 900W?
Did you mean 48V 900Wh battery (so 18.75Ah battery?)
or did you mean 48V battery and 900W motor?
That's was one of my questions, too. I did a bit of googling, and 900 watts doesn't seem like a common motor rating (most I have seen jump from 750w to 1000w), so I'm thinking the seller meant that it has a 900wh battery.

I'm not promoting fat tire bikes in any shape or way, but I can share that the price of the one you're looking at is a COMPLETE rip off. Why?

Here's a brand new fattie, which happens to be one of the most popular bikes ever sold by one of the most popular bike companies, bar none. If the web price is correct, they're offering this normally $1999. bike for 1299. NEW!

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/colle...electric-fat-tire-bike?variant=39465952706656

Oh, and that advertised range of 80 miles for the one you have listed above is a total load of crap.... Not happening. You'll be doing good to get half of that, and more likely half of that (20 miles).
Oh wow, that is a good deal! I've heard good things about the Rad brand.

Are you going to be riding on slippery surface?

Have you looked into 2WD ebikes?
Here are some of the examples of 2WD ebikes:

Rambo Megatron

E-Cells Super Monarch Crown

Eunorau FAT-AWD

Eunorau Defender S
I had no idea there were 2wd e-bikes. I really like the looks of the Eunorau FAT-AWD.

really a waste except in very specific situations. My 2WD MAC was a beast but overkill. A BBSHD was more efficient and easier to maintain. IMNSHO

It is a Pacific Bikes frame. Often sold at Target; The stickers cover that. With a heavy low grade spring fork. Look at the yellow sticker that says it cannot go off road. Junk, Run. Again, a garbage drivetrain. That shows all the rest.
:p

The first bike is a junker, not a Recon,
There is one guy on the Ecotric facebook forum that rides a $999 Ecotric fat tire folder all winter long on Minnesota ice. He was talking about that annual end-of-winter thing where Minnesotans drive cars/mikes for some kind of miles long ice jaunt ob some famous lake before it thaws?
And you don't need 1000W for this. I had a 2WD fat tire bike. I still do, except the tires are stored away, along with the front wheel and electricals. I was running that front wheel with a 13A controller on 36V. Probably never got it over 200W. Who needs 76 pounds of bike on top of you when you fall. I didn't find it much fun..
The Rad probably is good. You may need to look into studded tires.

Since you're new and inexperienced, I recommend you pass on everything until you actually ride some bikes. Ride some fat tire bikes (on varying surfaces - your ride will be different depending on each), ride some other types of bikes, even ride bikes you have absolutely no intention of buying. That's really the only way to get a solid idea about what works best for you. Without at least a general idea of what you're comfortable with, you're shooting in the dark 😉. That can be a very expensive mistake...

Back