First commuter ebike: Level.2, Prodigy, Vado 3, or another mid-end?

HelmutFrick

Region
USA
Hi all, I'm looking for my first ebike for commuting and I was hoping to get feedback on my research.

My situation:
  • 15mi round trip commute to work, plus ~12mi/week for errands
  • My area is moderately hilly with lots of wind. Given this, I think I want a mid-drive, torque-sensing motor.
  • My main motivation is riding _more_ and _easier_, not necessarily faster.
  • I might ride in nicer winter weather (cold and wet, maybe salt).
  • Prefer a bike that can be test-ridden and serviced by an LBS. LBS in my area carry Specialized, Giant, Trek, Electra, Bianchi, Gazelle, Gocycle, Marin, Tern, Yuba, Elby, Diamondback, Day6, Fuji, Haro, Cannondale, Faro, Surly, and Aventon.
  • I'm not completely new to bikes but not super experienced either. I can do some basic maintenance.
  • I'm rather short, 5'5". I prefer a mid- or low-step but it's not a deal breaker.
  • Budget is a flexible 3k USD but getting a good deal for less is always good.
The two main bikes I was looking at were the Aventon Level.2 and the Specialized Vado 3. They're just about in different price brackets, but it seems like if I want a bike that will last and be maintainable I should maybe just bite the bullet and go with the Vado. I'm a little skeptical of D2C brands and prefer a brand that is more likely to still be around in 5 years. The Ride1Up Prodigy is a late contender, I don't know as much about it but it seems like a decent deal.

My questions:
  • Are they all worth it? Is the Prodigy a worthwhile improvement over the Level.2, and the Vado over the Prodigy?
  • Are they worth the increase in theft-anxiety? I will be riding this to work in a pretty safe area with outdoor racks, and for errands in less than ideal areas. My security plan is a Hiplok D1000, Kryptonite 15mm chain, security skewers, and insurance.
  • Is the Vado or Prodigy overkill for my use-case? Should I try cheaper bikes first and then move up?
  • Are Specialized less user-maintainable due to proprietary parts?
  • Are there any other bikes I should consider?
The "No" Pile. These are the bikes I've looked into, and why I've dismissed them:
  • Vado 4 SL (3.75): Over budget, not concerned with weight
  • Ride1Up LMT'D (1.6k): Hub drive, but is torque-sensing
  • Priority Current (2.6k): Belt drives are very cool and something I may consider in the future, but I think I'd prefer the tried-and-true of a chain.
  • Trek FX+ 2 (2.5k): rear hub
  • Trek Verve+ 2 (2.85k): 20mph top speed (not a huge deal though).
  • RadPower RadCity (~2k): Hub motor, cadence sensing
  • Co-Op Cycles e2.2 (~2.2k): Discontinued, 20mph top speed
  • Dost Kope (3.5k): Seems very "power-oriented"; If I'm paying that much I'd rather go with an established brand.
  • OHM Quest (3.4k): If I'm paying that much I'd rather go with an established brand
Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I've also added the Gazelle Medeo T9 HMB (Non-City: 2.8k, and City: 2.5k) and the Trek Verve+ 2 (2.85k) as options to test-ride, if possible.

Last edited:
The prodigy and Vado both use Brose mid-drive motors vs the Level.2’s hub motor, all 3 have torque sensor. I’d suggest the Prodigy step through model because of it’s value for money.

The prodigy and Vado both use Brose mid-drive motors
The Brose motor itself means nothing. It is the system around the motor including the battery, the controller, the display as well as the smartphone app. Specialized has brought a high level infrastructure here. The OP should also consider the warranty and service provided locally by the LBS.

Hi all, I'm looking for my first ebike for commuting and I was hoping to get feedback on my research.

My situation:
  • 15mi round trip commute to work, plus ~5 mi/day for errands
  • My area is moderately hilly with lots of wind. Given this, I think I want a mid-drive, torque-sensing motor.
The two main bikes I was looking at were the Aventon Level.2 and the Specialized Vado 3.
4400 miles per year? I like geared hub motors, but I wore out the gears in one in ~4500 miles. I find power wheels easier to change than chains, but with the shutdown of china for covid chains were easier to buy last year. Some mid drive owners (and roadbike riders) wear out 11 speed chains in 1000 miles, others claim 5000.

The prodigy and Vado both use Brose mid-drive motors vs the Level.2’s hub motor, all 3 have torque sensor. I’d suggest the Prodigy step through model because of it’s value for money.
Good to know, thanks! I had assumed only mid-drives could have torque-sensors.

4400 miles per year? I like geared hub motors, but I wore out the gears in one in ~4500 miles. I find power wheels easier to change than chains, but with the shutdown of china for covid chains were easier to buy last year. Some mid drive owners (and roadbike riders) wear out 11 speed chains in 1000 miles, others claim 5000.
Probably closer to 2250 in reality as a rough estimate (I commute to work only 2-3/week, and will ride less in bad weather). Good point about chain-wear. I don't think I'm too bothered by the hassle of replacing the chain.

Good point about chain-wear. I don't think I'm too bothered by the hassle of replacing the chain.
Indiana constantly overplays the same chain tune. When doing support we sold hundreds of mid-drive kits and not a lot of chains.

Chain replacement takes ten minutes, tops. Cut the old chain and hang it. Cut the new chain the same length. Install the new chain using the quick link.

I have serial 1 rush speed and I like the idea of quiet drive train, no shifting needed, automatiq shifting of enviolo and I commute and easily go above 25mph so class 3 is needed for me.
If you can, checkout zen ebikes samurai.

Entry level from name brand is good place to start especially if don't know if all weather commuting is you. Brose has 50nm motor while some of the others are 40nm (verve2+, gazelle city). With hills and head wind 50nm is minimum I'd recommend. While extra speed of class 3 is nice, for distance you are riding class 2 is fine. On hills and with strong head wind will be lucky to exceed 20mph most of time especially with these lower powered 50nm motors.

I'm a big fan of the Vado, but based on your needs, daily distance traveled and your height, I would go for the Tern or the Co-Op Cycles e2.2. They're both great Urban/Cargo bikes that are most practical.

Tern makes great cargo e-bikes. They're one of the most versatile bikes. Some of the Tern models come with a design feature that allows it to be stored vertically. With Tern you get a lot. However they are a bit pricey.

If value is important, did you know that there happens to be the Co-Op e2.1 model? REI is still listing it. A low cost quality packed way to enter the e-bike market. It comes with Shimano E5000 250W with Shimano E8014 36V/418Wh battery (max torque output 40Nm). Currently it's about 30% less money than the 2.2 and to my knowledge, it is the lowest priced mid engine e-bike on the market today.

If you can afford it, the Co-Op e2.2 is equipped with fenders and has about 25% more torque and battery capacity. Equipped with the Shimano E6100 250W with Shimano E8010 36V/504Wh battery (max torque output 60Nm). Equipped on both of the 2.1/2.2 models is a great built in rack and this unique kick/center stand, that serves to keep the bike level when loading stuff into pannier bags. One nice thing is that Co-Op bikes are backed by REI, who are known for good customer service.

The Hiplok D1000 appears to be extremely resistant against angle grinder attacks. Please note that the space within the inside shackle area is very small, therefore limiting how and to what you can secure your bike to.

Education is important, I recommend watching e-bike reviews on YouTube.

Last edited:

My situation:
  • 15mi round trip commute to work, plus ~12mi/week for errands
  • My main motivation is riding _more_ and _easier_, not necessarily faster.
  • I might ride in nicer winter weather (cold and wet, maybe salt).
  • Prefer a bike that can be test-ridden and serviced by an LBS. LBS in my area carry Specialized, Giant, Trek, Electra, Bianchi, Gazelle, Gocycle, Marin, Tern, Yuba, Elby, Diamondback, Day6, Fuji, Haro, Cannondale, Faro, Surly, and Aventon.
  • I'm not completely new to bikes but not super experienced either. I can do some basic maintenance.
  • I'm rather short, 5'5". I prefer a mid- or low-step but it's not a deal breaker.
  • Budget is a flexible 3k USD but getting a good deal for less is always good.
The two main bikes I was looking at were the Aventon Level.2 and the Specialized Vado 3. They're just about in different price brackets, but it seems like if I want a bike that will last and be maintainable I should maybe just bite the bullet and go with the Vado. I'm a little skeptical of D2C brands and prefer a brand that is more likely to still be around in 5 years. The Ride1Up Prodigy is a late contender, I don't know as much about it but it seems like a decent deal.

My questions:
  • Are they all worth it? Is the Prodigy a worthwhile improvement over the Level.2, and the Vado over the Prodigy?
  • Are they worth the increase in theft-anxiety? I will be riding this to work in a pretty safe area with outdoor racks, and for errands in less than ideal areas. My security plan is a Hiplok D1000, Kryptonite 15mm chain, security skewers, and insurance.
  • Is the Vado or Prodigy overkill for my use-case? Should I try cheaper bikes first and then move up?
  • Are Specialized less user-maintainable due to proprietary parts?
  • Are there any other bikes I should consider?
The "No" Pile. These are the bikes I've looked into, and why I've dismissed them:
  • Vado 4 SL (3.75): Over budget, not concerned with weight
  • Ride1Up LMT'D (1.6k): Hub drive, but is torque-sensing
  • Priority Current (2.6k): Belt drives are very cool and something I may consider in the future, but I think I'd prefer the tried-and-true of a chain.
  • Trek FX+ 2 (2.5k): rear hub
  • Trek Verve+ 2 (2.85k): 20mph top speed (not a huge deal though).
  • RadPower RadCity (~2k): Hub motor, cadence sensing
  • Co-Op Cycles e2.2 (~2.2k): Discontinued, 20mph top speed
  • Dost Kope (3.5k): Seems very "power-oriented"; If I'm paying that much I'd rather go with an established brand.
  • OHM Quest (3.4k): If I'm paying that much I'd rather go with an established brand
Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: I've also added the Gazelle Medeo T9 HMB (Non-City: 2.8k, and City: 2.5k) and the Trek Verve+ 2 (2.85k) as options to test-ride, if possible.
Can’t go wrong with either bike. I’ve been bike commuting for a couple years on ebike aventon pace 500 and a few years before that on regular bike. I wish I would have bought the level over the pace 500 for the shocks and torque sensor. For the extra money a mid drive would be nice but I was too cheap and I don’t have hills on my commute. I’ve heard they don’t have throttles and I will say sometimes after a long day at work hitting the throttle and cruising is real nice! Best of luck!

Specialized is the whole package. I would choose the Vado 3 all day, and twice on Sundays. Although I have never had an issue with either of my Vado's (Vado 4 and Vado SL 4), I am sure that Specialized as a company would back their product. Good luck.

Specialized is the whole package. I would choose the Vado 3 all day, and twice on Sundays. Although I have never had an issue with either of my Vado's (Vado 4 and Vado SL 4), I am sure that Specialized as a company would back their product. Good luck.
I agree, buying from Specialized is having their backing of tons of stores that can service their bikes.

Congratulations, Helmut!

A current photo of my older Vado 6.0 on a 70 mile ride 😊

Attachments

• 20230729_160826-01.jpeg
    20230729_160826-01.jpeg
    812.8 KB · Views: 149
Back