Firmware updates..............again!

sodoff

Region
United Kingdom
I have a 2021 Turbo Vado 4 SL, which I'm delighted with, after 60 years of riding 'proper' bikes, racing on & off road, TTs, endurance events and so on. Mission Control tells me a firmware update is required but I must go to a dealer to get it. My nearest Specialized dealer is not only 25 miles away, but located in a congested urban area where there is neither anywhere to park a car easily, nor to cycle to safely. So, I'm thinking is this latest firmware update worth the hassle? As you can see from the attached screenshot, it's only the 'display' that needs an update. However, my display is only the TCU, not the TCD variants found on other models, so what is there to update?
I've read the other posts about this and on other sites. Also, spoke to the guy at the main dealer who didn't seem to know what the update did, or that according to MC it's only an update to the 'display'.
What do people think about this? Is is worth bothering with?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220526-095813.png
    Screenshot_20220526-095813.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 334
I have a 2021 Turbo Vado 4 SL, which I'm delighted with, after 60 years of riding 'proper' bikes, racing on & off road, TTs, endurance events and so on. Mission Control tells me a firmware update is required but I must go to a dealer to get it. My nearest Specialized dealer is not only 25 miles away, but located in a congested urban area where there is neither anywhere to park a car easily, nor to cycle to safely. So, I'm thinking is this latest firmware update worth the hassle? As you can see from the attached screenshot, it's only the 'display' that needs an update. However, my display is only the TCU, not the TCD variants found on other models, so what is there to update?
I've read the other posts about this and on other sites. Also, spoke to the guy at the main dealer who didn't seem to know what the update did, or that according to MC it's only an update to the 'display'.

To me - unless it's an upgrade that affects the longevity of the bike or battery or possibly increases performance, I won't update and haven't. I have a '21 SL4 too and it's perfect as is. :)

Thanks BioWheel, I have the same thoughts, but the trouble is I don't know what exactly the update to the display will actually do! On the one hand I figure that Specialized wouldn't release new firmware unless it was actually important, but at the same time suspect it won't do anything noticeable or worthwhile, and like you, find my bike to be 'perfect as is'!

Thanks BioWheel, I have the same thoughts, but the trouble is I don't know what exactly the update to the display will actually do! On the one hand I figure that Specialized wouldn't release new firmware unless it was actually important, but at the same time suspect it won't do anything noticeable or worthwhile, and like you, find my bike to be 'perfect as is'!
Unfortunately, Specialized has not issued release notes for their updates in the past. So, we don't know what they changed or fixed!

@Vadorset: The same situation here and nobody will force me to ride to the Specialized LBS for such an insignificant update :) "Ain't broke, don't fix it" :)
I agree! I'm just curious about things though, and would love to know what this display update is supposed to do, especially as it's a TCU, not TCD on my bike. The LBS (25 miles away!) guy I spoke to said it was something to do with the torque settings, although mission control shows motor & battery up to date, the update is for the display. It doesn't inspire confidence nor does is satisfy my curiosity!

Specialized are not the greatest at answering questions or suggestions lol.
My wife recently purchased a '22 Turbo Vado SL 4.0, and initially loved it totally, but now has found a few niggles.
I have the Redshift suspension on my Giant, and am so pleased with it, she wanted it for her Vado.
Mine was an easy-peasy 30 minute job to swap out both the seat post, hers turned into a project.
the seat was fine *boom boom* and done. BUT, it would seem, that the R&D folks must have had a high focus group at Berkley, and thought hard-wiring a headlight was a grand idea. AND it is affixed to the stem..via a slot in the bottom of the stem...maybe to match the slot at the TOP of the stem for the computer mount ...btw if you have a phone, don't buy the computer, it's redundant. So we contact Specialized and explain the dilemma...since there is no alternate mounting option for the light, perhaps they should consider providing a mount, OR make the lights optional. They kinda got snarky, and tried to engineersplain that they don't build bike "a-la-carte", sooooo, we got all McGyver and figured it out ourselves and she is happy.
But seriously, What is UP with the hardwired lights? We were told one had to take it to the LBS where they had the special tool to REMOVE THE ENGINE to kill that cursed light...*sigh*

Last edited:
You could have asked EBR Forum members prior to your costly project. The instant answer would have been: buy a Kinekt 2.1 seatpost and simply drill a hole in that seatpost at an indicated position.

If your Vado SL were EQ, you would just install the Redshift seatpost in a snap. Vado SL unequipped is more sophisticated re taillight integration.

Were I Specialized, my answer would be: "Specialized is not responsible for seatposts from other brands" :)

I thought the TCU firmware could be done from the app (but not the motor or battery)? Pretty sure I did it on my Vado 4 (not SL).

You could have asked EBR Forum members prior to your costly project. The instant answer would have been: buy a Kinekt 2.1 seatpost and simply drill a hole in that seatpost at an indicated position.

If your Vado SL were EQ, you would just install the Redshift seatpost in a snap. Vado SL unequipped is more sophisticated re taillight integration.

Were I Specialized, my answer would be: "Specialized is not responsible for seatposts from other brands" :)
I would have stopped at:

"Specialized is not responsible!"

Just because they sell a perfect bike does not mean it is perfect for all users. They should anticipate some customization.

Dumb question time - do you need to bring the whole bike in for a firmware update or do you just need to bring in the mission control console?

"What is UP with the hardwired lights?"
If you are riding in traffic they make you much more visible. I can count the number of times I would see a car in a driveway or cross street start to move then look again and stop. They will recognize the light before they see your bright clothing. Not everyone is riding on a closed road with their team cars behind them.

Just because they sell a perfect bike does not mean it is perfect for all users. They should anticipate some customization.
Kahn:
On a humorous note:
You are not riding an e-bike from General Bikes. It is "Specialized Bicycle Components" :D
People read it and totally do not understand the meaning!

More seriously: Specialized indeed come with specialized solutions. I needed a new front thru-axle for my big Vado once. It turned out Spesh used a weird non-standard axle on their 2017 Vado, not available after 3 years. I replaced it with a Robert Axle Project one, as advised by an EBR Forum member. Or, so-called "Vado 6.0 stem" is so integrated with the wiring I never felt I could replace it with, say, a Redshift. So what? I use Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebars instead - another good advice from EBR Forum members.

Were I in the position to buy a Vado SL unequipped, I would know to use the Kinekt 2.1 with the drilled hole. It is what this Forum is for -- getting a good advice.

Kahn:
On a humorous note:
You are not riding an e-bike from General Bikes. It is "Specialized Bicycle Components" :D
People read it and totally do not understand the meaning!

More seriously: Specialized indeed come with specialized solutions. I needed a new front thru-axle for my big Vado once. It turned out Spesh used a weird non-standard axle on their 2017 Vado, not available after 3 years. I replaced it with a Robert Axle Project one, as advised by an EBR Forum member. Or, so-called "Vado 6.0 stem" is so integrated with the wiring I never felt I could replace it with, say, a Redshift. So what? I use Baramind BAM Trek suspension handlebars instead - another good advice from EBR Forum members.

Were I in the position to buy a Vado SL unequipped, I would know to use the Kinekt 2.1 with the drilled hole. It is what this Forum is for -- getting a good advice.
"not available after 3 years"
Now, that's scary.

"not available after 3 years"
Now, that's scary.
I still ride my Vado. Because I ride e-bikes, not suffer because of them.
1658342389261.png

I'm afraid you cannot show similar results, Guru, as you seem to have owned too many e-bikes you actually didn't ride.

I still ride my Vado. Because I ride e-bikes, not suffer because of them.
View attachment 129577
I'm afraid you cannot show similar results, Guru, as you seem to have owned too many e-bikes you actually didn't ride.
I did not keep stats until recently, unlike you, I don't need to brag.
2021 Vado 5.0 SL, 1,704.1 miles in 9 months
2022 Turbo Como, 5.0, 448.4 miles in 1-1/2 months
2022 Vado 5.0 IGH, 574 miles in a few months
2022 Vado 5.0, 830.9 miles in 1-1/2 months
2021 Vado 5.0, 5,153.9 miles in 1 year 9 months
Various Trek e-bikes, 8,000 miles in a few years

So sir, it's not about bragging rights, it's about the point that parts are unavailable after 3 years.
That's the point.
It's a sad state of affairs if the manufacturer doesn't have parts.

Well, I never bothered with the vile journey to get the possibly pointless update, but.............I find myself at the foot of Alpe d'Huez for a couple of weeks, great rides on the fantastic bike, wander into my favourite LBS in Bourg d'Oisans and casually mention the firmware update, they take it in immediately, ready later this evening. Service! I'm finding the transitions on complex steep climbs, changing gear, changing from eco to turbo, this all seems a lot smoother now. Or have they hypnotized me?

Back