Feedback and Help on BULLS Lacuba EVO E8 Wave Frame

Hello Court,

My post was originally titled "RECALL and DISCONTINUE LACUBA EVO E8 WAVE" because of the 'wobbling' issue on my Evo Wave 2017. I survived two very scary situations and got to enjoy the 'thrill of wobbling' many, many times. Just read the thread.

Someone (not me) replaced the heading to a more polite "Feedback and Help on BULLS Lacuba EVO E8 Wave Frame".

Now the Lacuba Evo Wave 2018 is out on the market.

You can find its review on this site.
The first 'con' is, quote:

The deepest wave, step-thru, frame does experience some frame flex, this reduces pedal efficiency and may contribute to speed wobble of the front wheel depending on how much the rider weighs, how the body position is setup, whether the rear rack is loaded, and how fast you go, just keep both hands on the bars if you notice a bit of wobble on the front wheel at higher speeds

As the reviewer points out, the wobbling problem is still there. If you get this bike, please follow the reviewer's advise: always keep both hands on the bars !!!

Since this is impossible while trying to make (say) a turning sign, I opted to attach a Back Turning Light signal I can control from the handlebars. Please, don't check your watch or scratch your neck, wipe your sweat or get down to the water bottle. Just keep both hands on the handlebar, all the time. Otherwise, you'll get hurt.

Hope reviewing this thread will definitively help some of you (re)considering this bike.

In short:

Is this bike fun to ride?
NO
Is this bike safe?
NO
Will you consider buying it again
NO
Am I upset?
YES
Do you regret not returning the bike when I still have the opportunity?
YES

Be safe, keep your hands on the handlebar.....

Looks like you picked the wrong frame style.
I have few female friends who have bikes very similar to this (deep wave) and it works fine. <20mph, light weight rider, they won't notice it.
You should have picked a step-thru as @Mark Peralta noted, not the wave frame. The step-thru frame has a reinforcement bar near the bottom bracket to eliminate any possible wobble.

Being a heavier than average rider myself at 230-240#, -varying during a typical year, I too have experienced speed wobble on a couple of different bikes. Before my 1st ride on the EG Zurich 350 IX (step-thru design), I wondered what was the purpose of the front fork "deflopinator", and actually, the deflopinator doesn't correct the speed wobble -so I continue to wonder.

A 30# steel frame bike (like a regular pedaled Bianchi Castro Valley commuter) induced quite the wobble on a downhill when I reached 44mph one time. That was terrifying when just ahead of me a group of 3 slower riders pedaled along side by side.

Experience with e-bike wobble has been more staid and controllable with nearly 7000 miles on an EG Zurich 350 IX Step-thru e-bike.
At any speed, the step-through design and weight aspects of the EG Zurich, with a heavy rider like myself, lead to significant wobble if my hands are taken off the handlebar. An inconvenience when trying to zip-up a windbreaker or when needing to put on gloves during a ride. Being obligated by safety, I pull-over, stop and make the needed adjustment. So, I cant ride the EG Zurich step thru design "no-hands" because of speed wobble. All in all, it is always safest for any rider to have at least one finger in contact (even a whole hand for that matter) with the handlebars when riding a bike.

Last edited:
Being a heavier than average rider myself at 230-240#, -varying during a typical year, I too have experienced speed wobble on a couple of different bikes. Before my 1st ride on the EG Zurich 350 IX (step-thru design), I wondered what was the purpose of the front fork "deflopinator", and actually, the deflopinator doesn't correct the speed wobble -so I continue to wonder.

A 30# steel frame bike (like a regular pedaled Bianchi Castro Valley commuter) induced quite the wobble on a downhill when I reached 44mph one time. That was terrifying when just ahead of me a group of 3 slower riders pedaled along side by side.

Experience with e-bike wobble has been more staid and controllable with nearly 7000 miles on an EG Zurich 350 IX Step-thru e-bike.
At any speed, the step-through design and weight aspects of the EG Zurich, with a heavy rider like myself, lead to significant wobble if my hands are taken off the handlebar. An inconvenience when trying to zip-up a windbreaker or when needing to put on gloves during a ride. Being obligated by safety, I pull-over, stop and make the needed adjustment. So, I cant ride the EG Zurich step thru design "no-hands" because of speed wobble. All in all, it is always safest for any rider to have at least one finger in contact (even a whole hand for that matter) with the handlebars when riding a bike.

Thanks bikerjhon, glad you shared your 'wobbling experience'.

I believe from the beginning I had a wrong approach.
Yes, I started the thread by asking to recall and discontinue the bike without considering the main issue.

I live in a small community on the British Columbia coast. The location is a retiring favourite spot (among many reasons) because of its temperate weather (compared to the rest of Canada) where you can cycle, golf and do all outdoor activities year around.
As expected, demographics are 60+, overweight, a large proportion suffering from various degrees of disabilities - I included- who, still try to keep an active and healthy lifestyle.

The introduction of the e-bike is a revolution for people like me. It created a 'Market Sector' of people who for many reasons (read above) had to abandon cycling. The e-bike re-introduced me, and people like me, to the market and the possibility of getting back to an activity and sport we always loved.

No doubt, I have the bike already for a year and yes, I'm back on the road enjoying the activity. Several friends followed my experience and they are now also on the road (NOT with a Lacuba Evo Wave).

No steep hills were a challenge for me 10 years ago.
The e-bike brought me back the opportunity to deal with them -still pedalling-.

However, I was used to hitting 40+ mph (70 km/h) downhill on my daily commuting to work in Vancouver (a city with a topography similar to San Francisco). What a thrill! Wobbling? NEVER, ever. I used for commuting two different bikes, a road and a mountain one. I didn't know what 'wobbling' was.

True enough, a motor is helping me climb the hills now. True enough, I still crave for the descent.
And almost got killed, twice.

Who to blame?
Me as an experienced -and irresponsible- cyclist?
The manufacturer of a flawed design?
The dealer?

I don't have the answer. However, I do know now what might have prevented the situation.

A VERY LARGE ORANGE LABEL on the bike, stating something like:

This is a step-through bike. As per its inherent design, an extremely dangerous situation may develop leading to severe injuries or even death. Under ANY circumstances do not to exceed the speed limit of 20 mph (32 km/h) or extreme wobble of the front wheel, leading to the loss of control of the bicycle WILL occur.

KEEP both hands on the handlebars at ALL TIMES.

In addition, I would've expected the dealer selling the bicycle SHOULD HAVE KNOWN this model was NOT an option for me.

Somebody, anybody without technical background on bicycles, not reading forums or in-depth reviews are making their decision based on any number of considerations INCLUDING (1) the prospective rider expectations/limitations, (2) the advice of the 'experienced' dealer and (3) the characteristics/limitations of the bike as provided by the manufacturer.

In my particular case, I miserably failed to pick the right e-bike for me. I relied only on option (1). Options (2) and (3) were missing.

If you have patience an time, please refer to the review of the 2017 model (the one I have). If you compare it with the new 2018 model review, you will notice the 'wobbling' issue comes up as a 'con' for the reviewer. It was NOT pointed out in the 2017 model. The 2017 and 2018 frames are identical.

In summary, a step-through bike is a.... step-through bike, that looks like a step-through bike and behaves like a step-through bike, to be ridden on flat terrain at very low speeds keeping your hands all the time on the handlebars.

cheers,

Alberto

PS. sorry for my poor English, obviously is not my first language.

Thanks bikerjohn, glad you shared your 'wobbling experience'.

I believe from the beginning I had a wrong approach.
Yes, I started the thread by asking to recall and discontinue the bike without considering the main issue...

...No doubt, I have the bike already for a year and yes, I'm back on the road enjoying the activity. Several friends followed my experience and they are now also on the road (NOT with a Lacuba Evo Wave)...

The e-bike brought me back the opportunity to deal with them -still pedaling-.

However, I was used to hitting 40+ mph (70 km/h) downhill on my daily commuting to work in Vancouver (a city with a topography similar to San Francisco). What a thrill! Wobbling? NEVER, ever... I didn't know what 'wobbling' was.

Who to blame?...

I don't have the answer. However, I do know now what might have prevented the situation.

A VERY LARGE ORANGE LABEL on the bike, stating something like:

This is a step-through bike. As per its inherent design, an extremely dangerous situation may develop leading to severe injuries or even death. Under ANY circumstances do not to exceed the speed limit of 20 mph (32 km/h) or extreme wobble of the front wheel, leading to the loss of control of the bicycle WILL occur.

KEEP both hands on the handlebars at ALL TIMES.

In addition, I would've expected the dealer selling the bicycle SHOULD HAVE KNOWN this model was NOT an option for me.

Somebody, anybody without technical background on bicycles, not reading forums or in-depth reviews are making their decision based on any number of considerations INCLUDING (1) the prospective rider expectations/limitations, (2) the advice of the 'experienced' dealer and (3) the characteristics/limitations of the bike as provided by the manufacturer.

In my particular case, I miserably failed to pick the right e-bike for me. I relied only on option (1). Options (2) and (3) were missing.

...In summary, a step-through bike is a.... step-through bike, that looks like a step-through bike and behaves like a step-through bike, to be ridden on flat terrain at very low speeds keeping your hands all the time on the handlebars.

cheers,

Alberto

PS. sorry for my poor English, obviously is not my first language.
Your thoughts are very well stated, Alberto!
I wholeheartedly agree that there should be some revelation expressed about wobble characteristics of any bike when considering a bike's design, balance, and weight distribution in relation to speed and rider physical characteristics such as height and weight.
Perhaps the manufacturer should state:
"Under variable circumstances riding any bicycle can be challenging.
With regard to safety, always wear a helmet and obey all traffic laws."

Back