Extra Battery

Jelester

I was wondering if anybody knows who might sell a Topeak like rear carrier that would have to plates? One for flat battery on bottom and cargo bag on top. I want to add this second battery via a switch between the two. I would just use one at a time.

Attachments

• 20181031_144600.jpg
    20181031_144600.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 534
The simplest solution is to use J.R.'s suggestion. Remove the existing rack from your Trek and replace it with a double layer rack which will hold a flat battery. The trick is to find a double layer rack that will allow you to use your quick attach Topeak bag.

I did something similar with my Pedego Interceptor where the battery is mounted under the rear rack. The double layer rack idea won't work since the Pedego rack is not removable. I had to make my own. In my case, I have a collection of Bontrager / Electra quick attach bags which I use on my Trek MTB's. I made an "adapter" to hold a second battery and allow me to use my Bontrager accessories.

I made an aluminum battery box and mounted it to the top of the Pedego rack using insulated cable clamps. No modification to the bike was necessary. I chose to use a second OEM battery and just swap them instead of using a switch.

P1070219a.jpg P1070130a.jpg 41wzWumQ-uL.jpg

Next, I cut the top off an old Bontrager rack and mounted it to the top of the aluminum box using the same clamps.

09592_A_1_BackRack_Deluxe_La.jpg P1070223a.jpg P1070131a.jpg

I can now carry a second battery and use my Bontrager quick attach bags.

P1070133a.jpg P1070134a.jpg P1070136a.jpg

When not carrying a second battery, the box can be used for other gear.

P1070139a.jpg

The same design can be used with Topeak or almost any other brand rear rack system.

I have a Topeak MTX EX trunk bag and was able to squeeze (2) 17.4 ah batteries into it. The weight of the two batteries made it very unstable when making turns. That's why I recommend only having 1 battery in the rear bag and leave the other in the middle of the frame.

I have a Topeak MTX EX trunk bag and was able to squeeze (2) 17.4 ah batteries into it. The weight of the two batteries made it very unstable when making turns. That's why I recommend only having 1 battery in the rear bag and leave the other in the middle of the frame.

If you had used two panniers and put the batteries in the bottom of each them closer to the axle center it would have handled much better, albeit no lighter.

The alternative would be to upgrade your rack to a Super Tourist rack, put the extra battery in the bag. Your battery will have no problems fitting into your existing DX bag.

Then move your current items into panniers.

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-bike-...+tourist+rack&qid=1551711229&s=gateway&sr=8-5

The alternative is to get a trailer and throw everything into that; batteries, clothes, etc.
I have this now. I would like one with two plates.
The simplest solution is to use J.R.'s suggestion. Remove the existing rack from your Trek and replace it with a double layer rack which will hold a flat battery. The trick is to find a double layer rack that will allow you to use your quick attach Topeak bag.

I did something similar with my Pedego Interceptor where the battery is mounted under the rear rack. The double layer rack idea won't work since the Pedego rack is not removable. I had to make my own. In my case, I have a collection of Bontrager / Electra quick attach bags which I use on my Trek MTB's. I made an "adapter" to hold a second battery and allow me to use my Bontrager accessories.

I made an aluminum battery box and mounted it to the top of the Pedego rack using insulated cable clamps. No modification to the bike was necessary. I chose to use a second OEM battery and just swap them instead of using a switch.

View attachment 30468 View attachment 30469 View attachment 30470

Next, I cut the top off an old Bontrager rack and mounted it to the top of the aluminum box using the same clamps.

View attachment 30472 View attachment 30471 View attachment 30473

I can now carry a second battery and use my Bontrager quick attach bags.

View attachment 30474 View attachment 30475 View attachment 30476

When not carrying a second battery, the box can be used for other gear.

View attachment 30477

The same design can be used with Topeak or almost any other brand rear rack system.
I could do this with my rack I now have but would have to raise it up with leg extensions. I saw leg extensions somewhere.

Your idea of using leg extensions to raise your existing rack would work but you would still have to fabricate a battery mount underneath.

If you haven't already purchased a second battery, you could save some $$ by using J.R. 's suggestion. Buy a double layer rack / battery combination, then cut the top off your existing Topeka rack like this:

09592_A_1_BackRack_Deluxe_La.jpg

Then mount the top of the Topeka rack to the top of the double layer rack using insulated clamps:

P1070100a.jpg P1070101a.jpg P1070096a.jpg

I've used this idea on several bikes to adapt rear racks for use with other rack / bag mounting systems. The trick is making the adapter sturdy by using the correct size clamps for the different tube sizes.

Although the clamps can be purchased separately in hardware stores or home depot, I found it easier to use this assortment pack:

718gE2WlQIL._SL1000_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQV32Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Your idea of using leg extensions to raise your existing rack would work but you would still have to fabricate a battery mount underneath.

If you haven't already purchased a second battery, you could save some $$ by using J.R. 's suggestion. Buy a double layer rack / battery combination, then cut the top off your existing Topeka rack like this:

View attachment 30538

Then mount the top of the Topeka rack to the top of the double layer rack using insulated clamps:

View attachment 30540 View attachment 30541 View attachment 30539

I've used this idea on several bikes to adapt rear racks for use with other rack / bag mounting systems. The trick is making the adapter sturdy by using the correct size clamps for the different tube sizes.

Although the clamps can be purchased separately in hardware stores or home depot, I found it easier to use this assortment pack:

View attachment 30542
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WQV32Q/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As soon as the weather gets better I will do something. I just want to use theTopeka bag on top with the quick realease. Lowes has the flat chrome like metal that I can build the box with.

What are you people talking about! i got most of my accessories from the dollar store. I just put 16 kms today at -5 c on a cheap Chinese frame mounted 450 watt motor and 24 volt, water, slush everywhere. 30 amp hour LG battery in a basket, i still have lot's of juice left. I did very little peddling. Side baskets $4 each, rods welded to the frame to secure the basket $2 each. The side baskets attached with zip ties, $2 a pack of 40
I do have a mini welder, that helps but seriously e-bikes can be done cheap!
I'm going with a rack battery and a frame battery, 2 totally separate systems. If one dies i have the other plus i only have to replace one pack, half the cost

Last edited:
Back