Experience with the Turbo Vado 3.0

Joevado

Hi all,

The name is joe if you couldn’t tell from the forum handle. Prior to purchasing my new turbo Vado 3.0 last month I used these forums extensively for research and tested out multiple types and brands of ebikes. Rear hub, Bosch mid drive, trek, giant, specialized and a couple of others.

I thought it might be useful if I give updates each month on my experience using the bike to commute to work 3 or 4 days a week. I hope you all find this as useful as I have found all of your posts.

Firstly about me, I am mid 40’s have been riding all my life primarily road bikes (some track and some triathlon but no mountain). I am 6ft and weigh about 260lbs. Obviously not what specialized measure there expected range with but pretty realistic for some of you out there. I have commuted on my road bike but with no showers at work it limited me to catching a ride with my wife to work and cycling home.

Now about my ride. I have a commute that is 14miles each way, rolling hills, nothing too steep apart from a 3/4 mile climb at maybe 5-6% on last bit of ride home. Yes I do get the downhill on the way to work.

Now why the turbo Vado 3.0.

1. I wanted fenders and a rack.
2. I wanted a bike that felt like I was cycling normally but had more assistance on way to work to avoid getting too sweaty, rear hum drives just feel weird to me, like I am being pushed
3. While 3000 dollars is a lot I couldn’t justify more for the 6.0
4. I was left between the trek super commuter and the Vado. The Vado just felt more natural and the motor was quieter
5. I wanted a bike that assisted to approx 28mph not 20. In the US the 3.0 does that. This is for two reasons, if I am in a rush to get to work and when on my road bike I cycle in the high teens low twenty’s with the slower ebikes the resistance was horrible when you hit the threshold.

First experiences with the bike. Out of 4 weeks I was away 2 so only 2 weeks commuting and 160 miles completed. I used my ortlieb urban back roller pannier which fit perfectly and is waterproof for laptop, bike kit and change of clothes.

The good - Ride, excellent. The bike feels stable, no problem with the tires or chain so far, generally a comfortable ride. Easy to maintain 18-22 mph using a mixture of assistance. I would say I use level 2 mainly for route too work, level 1 on way home for more of a work out level 3 just on hills.

The mediocre - range is a bit less than I expected. I know I am heavy and I have a hilly route but the battery only lasts the two directions. It’s enough so I am not complaining but I am on the end of the last bar and flashing when I crest the final hill. At best I have one full bar left when I have been conservative with the speed. In theory if I weighed 100 pound less I should get that range using maximum assist the whole route. Not sure that would be possible.

The bad - still no app, not a deal breaker as from reading the forum I knew it wasn’t there yet, if ever.

Ok that’s it for update one, next one I should have about 600 miles on her. No regrets on the purchase so far.

Joe

Hey, Joe- welcome to the forums. I rented a Vado 3 a couple times and really liked it, tho I ended up buying a Raleigh Redux ie (also Brose).

You might consider buying a second charger for work, and charging your battery there. I say this because there’s general consensus that charging your battery to 80% and not letting it drop below 20% will double or triple your battery life (number of charges before failure.)

Enjoy your ride!

Hey, Joe- welcome to the forums. I rented a Vado 3 a couple times and really liked it, tho I ended up buying a Raleigh Redux ie (also Brose).

You might consider buying a second charger for work, and charging your battery there. I say this because there’s general consensus that charging your battery to 80% and not letting it drop below 20% will double or triple your battery life (number of charges before failure.)

Enjoy your ride!
Interesting. Not arguing, but wouldn't that double the number of charges if he charged it twice a day instead of once?

Sorry, I misspoke, er, wrote. Charging your battery halfway, twice, wears the battery about the same as charging it completely. I’m too lazy to find the appropriate thread and link it here, but if you search you’ll find a number of apparently knowledgeable people posting in this forum that assert the 20%- 80% guidelines. There’s even graphs and stuff, so it must be true ;-)

Thanks guys, yes I read about the 20%-80%. My biggest concern is specialized battery warranty is based on years but also in the small print it’s charge cycles. This would double the number of charge cycles so effectively half the warranty as I plan on using a lot. I am going to use the bike as most people would do and judge the experience. Ride it for the full day then charge when finished. Hopefully this will give people a good review without me doing anything special to look after it, just regular maintenance.

Joe

I think “charge cycles” is pretty conservative. I have over 1300 miles on my current battery and I usually charge every 22 Miles (typical one-way commute). 1300/22 = 59 so I should be at 59 charge cycles, right? Well I just checked the official charge cycle count and I am only at 37 charge cycles. Not bad!

Hi All, Just wanted to give you all an update. Slightly less usage as planned as had to go back to the UK for a month but here goes.

Mileage: 625
Number of issues: 1

So had first issue on the bike at about 400 miles one of the rear spokes snapped. It wasn't bad enough to stop me getting home but needed a fix. I assume it was a factory problem but I will keep an eye out.

Thanks for the notes on charging I am charging more frequently now as I carry the charger with me and it seems fine with it. Overall still very happy with the bike, its behaving as well as it did at mile 1.

Hey all, up to 700 miles now on the bike and have had 2 more spokes break. LBS has replaced but they have also filed a warranty claim with specialized for a new wheel. I will have to be pretty careful over the next week or so while we wait for the wheel to arrive. No other issues.

Joe

Hey Joe :)

Mine has 3,700km on it now (~ 2,500mls?) Anyway, it never did the distance Specialized claimed on the original battery, but damn it felt great! I'm 70kg (155lbs) and got 55km out of it on the flat in Eco, whereas they claimed 75km. Did they have a tail wind all the way?

Anyway, all that accepted, this has to be the best ebike I've ever ridden and I've tried a few. Here the Vado was originally restricted to 20mph (32km/hr), but that was frustrating, you were always bouncing against the limit. Mine's now been factory derestricted and does 43k/hr (26mph) easy. Brilliant!

Despite all the teething problems reported for the Vado, I've found Specialized honour their warranties here and I'm impressed. They've just replaced my battery after 14 months with a larger 604whr version. The switch cover broke on the first one. I've also replaced the drive chain & brake pads/rotors a few times along with a few other things, but that's a cheap price to pay for the grin this thing puts on your dial when you ride it home after a day at work. If you have to rebuild the rear wheel get a hub & rim with 36 spokes. If you have to get another battery to get the range you want, get one. No other the bike at the moment comes close to the Vado 3 in terms of value.

While this Vado is a huge improvement over the original Turbo, imagine what they could do with the next generation? Can't wait!

cheers

Hey Joe :)

Mine has 3,700km on it now (~ 2,500mls?) Anyway, it never did the distance Specialized claimed on the original battery, but damn it felt great! I'm 70kg (155lbs) and got 55km out of it on the flat in Eco, whereas they claimed 75km. Did they have a tail wind all the way?

Anyway, all that accepted, this has to be the best ebike I've ever ridden and I've tried a few. Here the Vado was originally restricted to 20mph (32km/hr), but that was frustrating, you were always bouncing against the limit. Mine's now been factory derestricted and does 43k/hr (26mph) easy. Brilliant!

Despite all the teething problems reported for the Vado, I've found Specialized honour their warranties here and I'm impressed. They've just replaced my battery after 14 months with a larger 604whr version. The switch cover broke on the first one. I've also replaced the drive chain & brake pads/rotors a few times along with a few other things, but that's a cheap price to pay for the grin this thing puts on your dial when you ride it home after a day at work. If you have to rebuild the rear wheel get a hub & rim with 36 spokes. If you have to get another battery to get the range you want, get one. No other the bike at the moment comes close to the Vado 3 in terms of value.

While this Vado is a huge improvement over the original Turbo, imagine what they could do with the next generation? Can't wait!

cheers
On specialized.com New Zealand site I find this text

"For the Vado 3.0, we developed a custom Specialized U1-460 battery that seamlessly integrates into the frame, is lockable, and easily removable for simplified charging. With this battery, the Turbo Vado will deliver a pedal-assisted boost up to 93 miles in Economy mode, 40 miles in Sport mode, and 25 miles in Turbo mode."

93miles equals 149.64km. You´re gonna need at long flat road and a strong tailwind to get that far on 1 charge.
I have a Vado 4 with a 25km/h restriction and the 504Wh battery ( that´s 9.6% larger than the 460Wh Vado 3 battery). In Eco mode I´ve once done over 80km before I got into to the fifth and last bar. So I guess I can go somthing like 90km on a full charge using the gears a lot but hills and wind can easily reduce that distance.

Easily removable battery, yes. Not so easily installed again.

Hey PaD,
Maybe my kms are longer than yours :) I've been thinking about the Riese & Muller dual battery Delite or Super charger bikes for their increased range, but they are expensive. Perhaps I need a spinnaker for better downwind performance.

Hey PaD,
Maybe my kms are longer than yours :) I've been thinking about the Riese & Muller dual battery Delite or Super charger bikes for their increased range, but they are expensive. Perhaps I need a spinnaker for better downwind performance.
Maybe your kms are steeper.
Spinnaker on a bicycle could be a very uplifting experience:) Some kind of small sails to take advantage of lighter wind for better range is an interesting thought.

E-biking in New Zealand is something I would like to do as a vacation.

Hey PaD,

Hey Rod, I purchased a second battery for my Vado 3, the 604mah. I have completed several 100 km rides now, I carry the second battery in a bag on the rack - do not notice the extra weight. The last ride in the weekend at the Coromandel (NZ) involved 1700m of climbing - still had 50% left in the 604mah battery. Batteries are expensive but cheaper than buying a new bike!

Hi guys

I have driven about 3000km with my 3.0.
Problem so far is:
1. New chain, new cassette
2. 1 new spoke, on the back wheel
3. 2 new spokes, on the back wheel
4. New wheel on warranty
5. 1 spoke broka again yesterday

Investigation is ongoing
I pretty much only ride on asphalt.

I am aside these problems very satisfied with my Vado, it is really fun to ride
When leavin' it at the retailer today they said there was an update for the display and the engine(I'm not sure if they said engine). The display will be bluetooth available after the upgrade and it will be possible to connect to the app.

Last edited:
When leavin' it at the retailer today they said there was an update for the display and the engine(I'm not sure if they said engine). The display will be bluetooth available after the upgrade and it will be possible to connect to the app.
I think there is a misunderstanding here. All talk of an app for Vado and Como is gone from Specialized’s website.
Isn’t the display already bluetooth ready? I’ve read that people have managed to pair it with their phones but the app didn’t work.
Here is answer abour app on FAQ at Specialized.com
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/missioncontrol

I read somewhere on this site recently about an upgrade for the TFT-display that comes with Vado 6 (and Vado 5?)

I think there is a misunderstanding here. All talk of an app for Vado and Como is gone from Specialized’s website.

+1

From the FAQ:
Which bikes are supported?
We support all Specialized Turbo bikes supporting Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connectivity technology, in particular these are
  • All Turbo, Turbo S, Turbo X with BLE connectivity
  • All Levo bikes
  • All Kenevo bikes
What about my Vado or Como?
Due to the type of Bluetooth connectivity on Vado/Como displays (provided by BLOKS) we can't connect to these bikes with Mission Control. If you want to adjust the tuning modes on your bike, please contact your dealer.

Hi all,

Wanted to give a quick update, Mileage is now 1200 miles. LBS spoke to specialized and they upgraded my rear wheel to a heavier duty mountain Bike wheel - great improvement and no more spoke breaking. Everything else going well.

Joe

Isn’t the display already bluetooth ready? I’ve read that people have managed to pair it with their phones but the app didn’t work.
Here is answer abour app on FAQ at Specialized.com
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/missioncontrol

I read somewhere on this site recently about an upgrade for the TFT-display that comes with Vado 6 (and Vado 5?)

Here is the Link for that:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-connect-display/p/159237?color=239955-159237

Hi folks, here's my report. I have 600 miles commuting on my Vado 3.0, in the Seattle area. Love my Vado! My commute is fun now. Bicycling Magazine has it right: "You'll find yourself racing cars at traffic lights." Full boost is nice for our hilly terrain, and also very nice for traffic situations like crossing over to the left turn lane - I feel much safer doing that when I'm closer to the speed of traffic. The fender design is great for riding in the rain - no road spray on my clothes.

The only real problem I have experienced is 2 broken spokes on the rear wheel. I'm crossing my fingers for no more - if I pop another one I think I'll replace with a sturdier wheel. Other issues:
  • The display froze once. Turns out that there is a reset button on the back of it - it is a silver indentation that looks a lot like a screw, press it with a pen tip and you'll be back in business.
  • I popped an inner tube and it was extremely hard to remove the tire the first time. It took two people prying to get it off. After that first time it was fine.

As far as upgrades:
  • I ride with front and rear Niteriders - the front one for brightness in the dark, the rear one as a flasher. I do think it is a bit lame that the bike doesn't have a brighter light, or an interface for replacing the stock light with a brighter one powered by the main battery - this would be a nice improvement if the industry could standardize on something.
  • I added a Kinekt suspension seatpost and my ride is definitely more comfortable. I also think it is a safety improvement as I'm less knocked about by road bumps - I can focus more on avoiding cars / less on avoiding bumps.

Hope that helps anyone considering a purchase.

Back