Ever take your Vado off road?

The lesson I've learned is never take a Vado for anything worse than decent gravel. I could compare the Vado with an e-MTB on forest paths recently and the verdict was don't for Vado.

One of the issues is hardly any aggressive and wide tyre would fit the Vado fenders. 2" slick Electrak tyre is the widest that fits.

The Vado doesn’t have room for much more than the stock 38s though does it?

No worries... the Smart Sam comes in 35 and 40 mm widths for Hybrids. ;)

I would search for the Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus which comes with Green Guard protection.
Art.No
is available in Europe in 47x622 (28x1.75).

I would search for the Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus which comes with Green Guard protection.
Art.No
Does the particular Vado model matter, like does the 5 SL (no fenders) accommodate a wider tire?

Definitely matters. As I'm riding a Vado I don't know about the Vado SL.
Thread title said "Vado", no "SL" added.

Art.No

The Smart Sam Plus is available in various sizes including 700 x 40 cm in the US... along with ECE-R75 certification. ;)

1598886592598.png

1598886948483.png

Last edited:
Millimeters :) I won't change my Electraks to thinner tyres, though. Off-road grip is one thing but thicker tyre cushioning is important to me. Minimal noise and low rolling resistance as well as excellent road grip of Electraks are the factors I chose the Vado as the road and gravel bike. Add to that Electraks are as impenetrable as elephant's skin.

Refreshing the thread.
You were talking a lot about Smart Sam. I can buy a pair in size 28x1.75" for my Vado. The reason is to ride in light off-road terrain (I plan such a ride with Vado). Do you recommend the purchase? (Can do it right now).

Refreshing the thread.

You were talking a lot about Smart Sam. I can buy a pair in size 28x1.75" for my Vado. The reason is to ride in light off-road terrain (I plan such a ride with Vado).

Do you recommend the purchase? (Can do it right now).

Thanks for the feedback... I recommend the purchase and like the Schwalbe Smart Sam as a nice compromise between on-road efficiency and off-road grip.

With the compact central tread rib for the road, ECE-R75 certification, and level 6 puncture protection... you get the best of both worlds for all terrain types.;)

Last edited:
You were talking a lot about Smart Sam. I can buy a pair in size 28x1.75" for my Vado. The reason is to ride in light off-road terrain (I plan such a ride with Vado). Do you recommend the purchase? (Can do it right now).

See my #26.
And keep in mind that a nobby tire doesn't run as smooth on tarred roads.
But it's the right tire for your project.

Guess what my motorbike is suitable for:

Attachments

• P1090159k Beta Alp 4.0.JPG
    P1090159k Beta Alp 4.0.JPG
    1,002.9 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
See my #26.
And keep in mind that a nobby tire doesn't run as smooth on tarred roads.
But it's the right tire for your project.
Certainly, Smart Sam will be noisy on blacktop, so that won't be a permanent solution.

Certainly, Smart Sam will be noisy on blacktop, so that won't be a permanent solution.

If you want a Schwalbe tire better suited to blacktop... the Marathon Plus MTB is the best choice.

It has a continuous smooth center rib combined with off-road tread and the highest level 7 protection.

1600196922903.png

I hear you, FlatSix. I'll tell you what. I use Marathon E-Plus (non MTB) on my third e-bike and am not quite happy. Indestructible? I had a puncture on a Marathon E-Plus. (Strange thing, we could not find the trace of the puncture, it had to be very small. Michelin Protek Max inner tube luckily re-sealed itself). Marathons behave strangely on paving-block surfaces, too. Perhaps the MTB version is better, but no, thanks :) I hope Smart Sams will satisfy my current needs. And the need is a 75-miler involving light off-road segments.

@FlatSix911: There's one factor more - availability. We live in hard times. Even if some product is listed (such as Marathon Plus MTB) it is hard to buy it. I looked the tyre up and what is available for 700c wheels is the 2.1" only here, at the moment. I followed your advice to go with the Smart Sam 28 x 1.75" (regular ones) and should get them before weekend. Thanks again for advice!

Same to @TS25 - thank you! Some tyres could be imported from Germany but the waiting times are unacceptable.

@FlatSix911: There's one factor more - availability. We live in hard times. Even if some product is listed (such as Marathon Plus MTB) it is hard to buy it. I looked the tyre up and what is available for 700c wheels is the 2.1" only here, at the moment. I followed your advice to go with the Smart Sam 28 x 1.75" (regular ones) and should get them before the weekend. Thanks again for advice!

Same to @TS25 - thank you! Some tyres could be imported from Germany but the waiting times are unacceptable.

Good point regarding availability. I think you will be very happy with the Schwalbe Smart Sam tires... let us know when you have time to review! ;)

I followed your advice to go with the Smart Sam 28 x 1.75" (regular ones) and should get them before weekend. Thanks again for advice!

Just in case:
add 10€ DPD

Schwalbe Smart Sam 28 x 1.75" on Vado 5: First impressions

What a fun!

(I could have concluded here) :)
-------------------
The tyres thinner than Electrak 2.0 make a funny impression at the first sight, leaving a lot of clearance to the DryTech fender. The ride...

No sound on blacktop. (I was afraid these tyres would be noisy - not at all!) Low rolling resistance. Ride like a dream on gravel. The side tread is so aggressive the small pebbles are taken by the tyre and rattle inside the fender. Bumps? What bumps? One thing is true: the 2" tyres had been performing a lot of vibration-dampening work. Now, my suspension handlebars and Kinekt seat-post work harder (as intended). Yet, everything combined, the Smart Sam on the rigid-fork Vado makes the ride really smooth; especially the rapid vibrations are dampened extremely well.

I rode into the worst segment of a local road (cyclists make a detour through the woods to avoid that segment) -- no issues with riding there! And again: my Vado has no suspension at all (outside the bars and seatpost).

Overall impression: My Vado has become even more sporty and agile with Smart Sams. Greatly recommended! Many thanks to @FlatSix911 and @TS25 for the recommendation!

1600368337570.png

I'll attempt a forest ride early in the morning.

Last edited:
Back