Evelo Galaxy Lux vs. ***??????*** HELP!

MBZ

Region
USA
Greetings, and a Happy New Year Everyone.
After burning up more laptop hours than I care to admit, I’ve grown impatient with my analysis-paralysis and need help. HELP!

I’m stuck on the GALAXY LUX from Evelo.
Any suggestions for alternatives to this bike would be much appreciated. Please pipe in with your two cents and save me from myself.
Pro’s
-Cute little bike with 24” tires for my short legs.
-Super low step-over for my geezer hips.
-Gates belt drive, very desirable.
-Enviolo auto shifting, perfect for derailleur haters like me.
-Torque-sensing, mid drive, adequate motor.
Con’s
-Although I’m not in love with the battery placement, it seems fine for my purposes.
-My bike needs to be happy traveling on the back of my camper van, so the Galaxy’s lighter weight and diminutive stature is a good thing.
-SO expensive, yikes.
Thanks a million, and a special thanks to Court and the team for creating such a valuable resource for the ebike community. EBR is so superior to anything else available.

Do you need auto-shifting? What is your height?

There are vanishingly few auto-shifting models and the Galaxy may be the only 24" on the US market. There may be 26" or 20" bikes that might work although they are expensive, for example the Achielle Esmee has a Shimano Alfine 8 IGH with Di2 auto-shifter, Shimano e6100 motor with torque sensor, a Gates belt option, and the smaller frame size is supposed to fit riders from 5'4". Or the Tern HSD S+ with the Enviolo Automatiq

As cost is a factor you might like to consider a manual shifting Enviolo model like the Vvolt Centauri S (ignore the out of stock they are just getting them in) which starts from $2500 and is available in a S/M frame that claims to fit shorter riders.

Last edited:
No, auto-shifting is not a *need*, simply a *want*. I grew up on simple 3 gear shifting and currently ride a gearless beach cruiser that has become way too tall to be safe. That little 24" baby is quite unique.
I'm barely 5'4" and possibly shrinking as we speak ;) and I'm not crazy about 20" tires. The new ebike will be used by a 5'9" guy as well, so we're trying to avoid the 20" tires.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

The new ebike will be used by a 5'9" guy as well
Then in addition to the Vvolt Centauri S you might like to look at a Specialized Turbo Como or Vado 3.0 IGH. Or if you're willing to wait a bit you could build up a Dutch Azor model in the smaller 49cm frame size (fits riders 5'2"-5'9") with manual shifting Enviolo Trekking CVT, Shimano e5000 torque sensor motor, and front disk brake, using the configurator, and contact the Amsterdam Bicycle Company who can import it to the US.

Wow. That Esme is a charmer, and appropriately called an Oma bike. Yep. That would be spot on.
The price is off-putting. That is a LOT of $$$'s.
Still a great recommendation, thx so much.

The price is off-putting. That is a LOT of $$$'s.
I agree, the Azor models are less expensive though the Shimano e5000 motor they use has 2/3 the power of the e6100 motor Achielle use. But it's no slouch, Yuba use the e5000 on their Kombi e5 cargo bike

Wonderful info, thank you! We are looking at the Specialized and will also look at that Amsterdam Bicycle Co. and Vvolt.
Great stuff. 🖖

I ride serial 1 rush speed with enviolo automatiq and love the drive train. I have been riding derailleur bikes for last 20 years or so but don't like derailleur.
My last ebike had derailleurs and needed frequent adjustment.

No, auto-shifting is not a *need*, simply a *want*. I grew up on simple 3 gear shifting and currently ride a gearless beach cruiser that has become way too tall to be safe. That little 24" baby is quite unique.
I'm barely 5'4" and possibly shrinking as we speak ;) and I'm not crazy about 20" tires. The new ebike will be used by a 5'9" guy as well, so we're trying to avoid the 20" tires.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
I think 26 inches or 27.5 inches tires are much better. vvolt centauri is a good ebike.

I think 26 inches or 27.5 inches tires are much better. vvolt centauri is a good ebike.
Thanks for the feedback. Agree on 26" tires but willing to compromise. "Kids" tires work for short people and also for a bike that mounts on back of a camper van. Nice to hear you enjoyed the drive train. Derailleurs suffer a lot from being bounced around so we're not going in that direction for this bike.

Vvolt has good customer service based on what I read online and they have 3 year comprehensive warranty unlike other who has 1 or 2 year.

Don't writeoff 20" tire bikes until you try one. Most run balloon tires that help give better ride.

You didn't say what bike was for.
Commuting if so how far and what terrain.
Lesiure ride how far a day?
Trekking?

Back