EU imposes huge 83.6% anti-dumping tariff on Chinese ebikes

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Ebike companies are already looking to relocate production eg ProNordic who sell Chinese ebikes under the Walleräng and EcoRide brands have recently opened a factory in Poland, and Giant in Hungary.

Last edited:
The EU does some crazy things, like fining Google $5.1 billion for essentially including it's own products on the open Android platform. That was only double the fine charged by the EU to Google last year:rolleyes:. Is there any wonder why Brexit was embraced by the UK? Home rule and free markets appear to be dirty words in Brussels. I'm waiting to hear about Grexit, Frexit and a few more Xexits.

The price of ebikes and android phones just went up.

This is civilization???? The 'Civilized World ' is nuts!! But...I love my Chinese ebike. The EU 25 kph limit is so they'll make easier
targets for Fiats & VWs.

My Haibike is roughly 700 Euros more expensive than what it cost 3 years ago. Only technical difference: a 100 Wh increase in battery capacity. All other components are indentical. Odd isn’t it? And that has nothing to do with tariffs as far as I can see.
Nothing ever seems to get cheaper, 'cept maybe Juiced bikes Cross Current Air which has gone on sale for $999. I'm tempted, but I already
have a CCS. I could use it for spare parts & an extra battery pack

Pedego CEO Don DiCostanzo comes out swinging in the comments on this article, bringing up the "impact on US bicycle companies that have their products assembled in China and are selling them in Europe." I very much doubt the current administration would protect American resellers of Chinese manufactured e-bikes, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Don goes ahead with his earlier suggestion to ship unassembled Pedego ebikes from China to the US for assembly.

My Haibike is roughly 700 Euros more expensive than what it cost 3 years ago. Only technical difference: a 100 Wh increase in battery capacity. All other components are indentical. Odd isn’t it? And that has nothing to do with tariffs as far as I can see.
I had to pay an additional $400 USD when I upgraded to the 500wh battery pack on my second 2016 Haibike at new purchase in March 2017. So that 700 Euros doesn't seem out of line on 3 model years newer to me.

The increase in battery capacity was from 2016 to 2017, and it corresponded to an increase in price of about 300 Euros. For the 2018 model the price again jumped by about 400 Euros, with an equivalent battery size to 2017. The equipment is equally on parity between the 2017 and 2018 models. Same frame, same drive, same shocks, same rims, same tires, same battery, same brakes, same fender, same kickstand, same lights, same saddle, same derailleur system... Only visible difference: the paint job is different.

A lot of dealers loved the old price (even the 2017 price). A moderately priced Speed Pedelec always sells well, at least in Switzerland and Germany where the laws are favorable to this category.
Makes me think that it will take something special for me to upgrade to a newer model. No sticker on my Class 3 model year, and got it for a great off season price. I'll have to pay double in another year or so if all things are equal. I just turned over 2,200 miles last evening, time to baby that XDURO Trekking S RX.

Back