eProdigy's secret sauce?

Mikey-

Best kept secret in eBikes in my opinion. Everyone is going bananas over the Haibike with a TQ motor, but the eProdigy has the same specs and a longer track record. I think I'm going to build a custom eProdigy soon.

Best kept secret in eBikes in my opinion. Everyone is going bananas over the Haibike with a TQ motor, but the eProdigy has the same specs and a longer track record. I think I'm going to build a custom eProdigy soon.

Eprodigy is a tiny company. Haibike is one of the biggest. That's the difference.

And eprodigy's design is shambolic with cable management near the motor. Nor are their frames going to win any aesthetic awards with clunky downtube battery and inelegant motor placement. Typical Chinese design philosophy. Haibike figured that stuff out years ago.

At least eprodigy upgraded their website in recent months. When Court did his reviews this year, eprodigy website was still marketing 2016 models...smh

But I liked your review - odd they didn't gear the Pro better. Nobody wants to be limited to 20mph top speed in North America - that's my kick-back cruising speed.

Their previous models had some fit and finish issues for sure. I think they've done some growing up since then; their Magic bikes are a big improvement for them.

I find their products way overpriced, the same thing Court found in his reviews.

I have mid drive with full throttle in any level of assist and 750W with NuVinci rear CVT hub and up to 110nm of torque on my Evelo, and I can tell you from experience the company goes overboard to provide customer service in every way. Bike is a hoot and power to spare at red lights I just throttle for a second hit the pedal and gone...great bike. JMO

I have mid drive with full throttle in any level of assist and 750W with NuVinci rear CVT hub and up to 110nm of torque on my Evelo, and I can tell you from experience the company goes overboard to provide customer service in every way. Bike is a hoot and power to spare at red lights I just throttle for a second hit the pedal and gone...great bike. JMO

Nice to hear from an owner, thanks. They are a great company to deal with, they're going to put together a Magic Pro with a Shimano Alfine 8 IGH for me, I just don't like the idea of losing 20-30 NM of torque to the Nuvinci.

Nice to hear from an owner, thanks. They are a great company to deal with, they're going to put together a Magic Pro with a Shimano Alfine 8 IGH for me, I just don't like the idea of losing 20-30 NM of torque to the Nuvinci.
The Ultimate can put out 95nm and 110 peak that’s more than most, I don’t see that decrease?

The Ultimate can put out 95nm and 110 peak that’s more than most, I don’t see that decrease?

Sure, if I hadn't of read that I wouldn't of known either and of course wouldn't of cared. Even the Nexus and Alfine hubs aren't that efficient.
The belt drive is inefficient by itself (compared to a chain which is very efficient) and in combination with the Nuvinci it's quite energy robbing buts it's only me, and you're right, if I were blindfolded and rode both I couldn't tell the difference. I guess I'm anal I sold a car with a CVT just because it "felt" inefficient when in fact it really wasn't. Too much information is bad, there's even university studies on the efficiency of various hubs/motors and I'm dumb enough to read them and let them influence my purchasing decisions. Enjoy your Ultimate.

Mine has a chain not a belt, still quiet as a mouse for sure and I just came back from a ride, if this thing is not efficient I sure don't know it, easy, Very Easy, pedaling in pas 3 puts me at 18 mph and that is pretty fast for an old fart like me, I hit the pas 4 while I was cruising and it is a Big jump instantaneous power boost, have not gotten up to 5 yet. The bike does 25+ very easily so I will never need more, and the hills are not problem so if it's losing something it's not noticeable . Also Court has a new review up on these latest hubs and it is noted a 500 mile break in period before full efficiency , so that's something to keep in mind. Must be pretty reliable as mine came with a 20,000 mile warranty and I don't think I'll ever see that mark......

Mine has a chain not a belt, still quiet as a mouse for sure and I just came back from a ride, if this thing is not efficient I sure don't know it, easy, Very Easy, pedaling in pas 3 puts me at 18 mph and that is pretty fast for an old fart like me, I hit the pas 4 while I was cruising and it is a Big jump instantaneous power boost, have not gotten up to 5 yet. The bike does 25+ very easily so I will never need more, and the hills are not problem so if it's losing something it's not noticeable . Also Court has a new review up on these latest hubs and it is noted a 500 mile break in period before full efficiency , so that's something to keep in mind. Must be pretty reliable as mine came with a 20,000 mile warranty and I don't think I'll ever see that mark......

I wasn't bashing the Nuvinci at all and I think they're very reliable. If you have that much torque the efficiency of the Nuvinci doesnt matter in any case. It would be good if Nuvinci would come out with specs on the efficiency of the 380 but they haven't yet after 10 years or so. I'll try to find Courts review, thanks for mentioning it.

The only thing similar between the eprodigy and the TQ is the placement at the center of the bottom bracket.

The eprodigy uses an outrunner motor design (similar to many hub drives) and the gear reduction is by the use of planetary gears.
https://www.electricbike.com/eprodigy-bikes-new-e-bike-from-vancouver-canada/

The TQ uses an inrunner motor design (so is Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose, Bafang) which sheds heat better and is more resistant to over heating. The TQ's gear reduction is by the use of a special single stage TQ Harmonic Pin Ring transmission which is exclusive only to TQ.
https://www.tq-e-mobility.com/en/TQ-HPR-120S/Motor-technology

The transmission of the TQ is similar in principle to the harmonic drive except that it is modified using roller pins in between the inner oval spline and outer circular spline.

As a side note, there other mid drives that exceeds 120 nm torque. The 2 I know of are the Bafang BBSHD and the Bafang ultra (both with 160 NM torque). And they can also be had with throttle.

Last edited:
The only thing similar between the eprodigy and the TQ is the placement at the center of the bottom bracket.

The eprodigy uses an outrunner motor design (similar to many hub drives) and the gear reduction is by the use of planetary gears.
https://www.electricbike.com/eprodigy-bikes-new-e-bike-from-vancouver-canada/

The TQ uses an inrunner motor design (so is Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, Brose, Bafang) which sheds heat better and is more resistant to over heating. The TQ's gear reduction is by the use of a special single stage TQ Harmonic Pin Ring transmission which is exclusive only to TQ.
https://www.tq-e-mobility.com/en/TQ-HPR-120S/Motor-technology

The transmission of the TQ is similar principle to the harmonic drive except that it is modified using roller pins in between the inner eccentric spline and outer spline.

As a side note, there other mid drives that exceeds 120 nm torque. The 2 I know of are the Bafang BBSHD and the Bafang ultra (both with 160 NM torque). And they can also be had with throttle.

Good information, thanks for posting. Do you know if the internal gears in the eProdigy motor are metal or plastic?

The internal gears in the motor are metal. I'm told they have one that has been in service for 10 years.

Yes, I called and ask. Apparently there's a video showing a motor being taken apart and dissected after being in use for years and wear was minimal. Maybe they've taken it down now I can't seem to find it, there was a link to it on their website. You can monitor motor temp and watts on the monitor which is useful.

Back