Epik upgrade

Our last order of Epic SEs were a bit of a surprise. It has a firmer stem with a slightly more aggressive geometry, cleaner cables, a sharper looking chain guard and a rack!

Basically, a great bike just got even better.

IMG_5661.jpeg

Court and Chandlee,

Glad to hear your review of the Epik SE (Sport Edition) is so positive. The feedback we're getting around the country on what really makes the SE so special is that it's got all the power and fully-equipped features of the much more expensive 26" wheeled bikes (including disk brake, front suspension, fenders, lights and dual throttle modes - pedelec/thumb) but still offers a folding design that gets compact.

People LOVE the affordability, the Epik SE retails for $1,549 which is well below comparable models, especially with the beefy power system of 350 watt geared motor (550 watt peak duty) powered by the fully concealed 36V 9 AH Li-Ion battery.

White EPIK knockout 50%.jpg

Hey guys, couple of questions:
  1. The e-joy epik lite comes with the charger or you have to order it apart??
  2. I want the Lite model but with the 7 shimano gear upgrade, worth it? or isn't a good idea. I said that 'cause maybe with the upgrade some fucntional problem may appear.
Thanks in advence for the feedback.

Ignacio

Hi Ignacio, I love both the Epik SE and the Epik Lite and kind of wish they'd combine the suspension of the SE with the gears and nicer fenders and rack of the Lite.

Both of these bikes come with the charger included (I'd say all electric bikes do) and you shouldn't see any functional problems with the gears on the Lite as they are standard kit by Shimano. Actually, the SE is the upgrade in terms of price since it costs more than the Lite (due to the suspension).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. E-Joe is a good company and I like their Epik bikes :)

So 37lbs? Is this a bike you'd fold up and put in your trunk and take to a better place to ride? Fold it up and put it in your locker at work? Whats the draw to a folding bike?

So 37lbs? Is this a bike you'd fold up and put in your trunk and take to a better place to ride? Fold it up and put it in your locker at work? Whats the draw to a folding bike?
I think the benefits of light weight combined with space savings make them ideal for taking on boats, planes and RV's. As you've suggested, a bike like this can fit into the trunk of a car or into the closet at a condo in the mountains (so you don't have to leave it outside if you don't have a garage). They are usually less rugged than full sized ebikes, and less comfortable, but the Epik performs surprisingly well and is balanced due to the built in battery pack. I especially like the SE because it has a suspension fork.

Hi, it's me again, turns out that now i preffer SE than the Lite haha...
The 7 speeds and suspension, is worth it.
But, looking the upper image, of the SE with the rear rack, I also noticed that it doesn't have the front and rear lights. SEs come without lights?.
And finally, The higher extra elevation in the rear rack generates any problem when you're folding the bike??

Bye, thanks again...

Ignacio

Last edited:
But, looking the upper image, of the SE with the rear rack, I also noticed that it doesn't have the front and rear lights. SEs come without lights?.
And finally, The higher extra elevation in the rear rack generates any problem when you're folding the bike??

Bye, thanks again...

Ignacio
Great observation... The SE that I tried out actually didn't have a rack at all, just these wonky fenders that don't work as well as the ones on the Lite. I think they should just add gears and suspension to the Lite and keep the rack, fenders and light to make the ultimate folding electric bike :D

Bye, thanks again...

Ignacio

No problems folding, even with the rack! It comes with a front headlight that's pretty cheap. I would probably get something better...

I'm considering ordering the SE. It looks close to ideal for my needs. But a few questions for the knowledgeable people here.
  1. The order page for the bike says it has front and rear lights. Could you EBR guys confirm this? I expect I'd want to put my own better lights on, but it would be good to know what to expect.
  2. This is probably in the spec sheet, but I can't find it. How much current does the charger draw? I'm going to be using it with my RV, and I'd like to be able to charge it up while I'm driving, which would probably require an inverter. I can see on the illustration for the charger that it outputs 24V DC at 1.8 amps. There's also some inconsistency about how long it takes for a full charge. Anyone know? 6? 8? Longer?
  3. Could one of you with a current model in hand tell me how far it is from the floor to the frame where I'd step over it.
  4. Top speed. The manufacturer's web site says 15.5mph. Court's review says that in 2014 it went up to 20?
Thanks, guys!
Rich

Hi Rich, I'm reaching out to the guys at e-Joe to get accurate answers for you. It sounds like the bike might be evolving since I did my last review here at which point there were no lights. The other questions are very specific and I don't want to get them wrong so I'll update my post here as soon as they get back to me :)

I'm considering ordering the SE. It looks close to ideal for my needs. But a few questions for the knowledgeable people here.
  1. The order page for the bike says it has front and rear lights. Could you EBR guys confirm this? I expect I'd want to put my own better lights on, but it would be good to know what to expect.
  2. This is probably in the spec sheet, but I can't find it. How much current does the charger draw? I'm going to be using it with my RV, and I'd like to be able to charge it up while I'm driving, which would probably require an inverter. I can see on the illustration for the charger that it outputs 24V DC at 1.8 amps. There's also some inconsistency about how long it takes for a full charge. Anyone know? 6? 8? Longer?
  3. Could one of you with a current model in hand tell me how far it is from the floor to the frame where I'd step over it
  4. BTop speed. The manufacturer's web site says 15.5mph. Court's review says that in 2014 it went up to 20?
Thanks, guys!
Rich

• Yes, e-JOE's Epik SE has a strong front and rear light set.
  • As the VP of the company I'm often riding and recharging. For me a fully drained battery normally takes 4 hours to charge.
  • Top speed varies but we've set our 2014 model for 20 mph full throttle speed.
  • Re power draw, I'll let you know. But don't you have an AC plug for 110?
  • Re floor to frame measurement, I'll get that too.
  • Or, Rich, just call me anytime. I'm in Seattle: 360.621.2753.
Court, thx for the heads up on this post.

Last edited:
Back