Epik SE in rain

dp226

I have had my Epik SE for 2 months and am still loving it. Only issue to date has been a flat tire.

I have been concerned about it getting wet. Well the other day I had no choice. It was on the bike rack on my RV and we got stuck in a rain storm. Very heavy rain , 2-3 inches in total over several hours. I was worried about the bike but had no options.

Well the worries were for not. I got it off of the rack, wiped it down and let it air dry for a couple of hours. It looked pretty dry so I gave it a shot. No problems.

Don

Don, letting the components dry is a good call, sometimes the controllers or other wiring are not 100% sealed to water. The wipe down and air dry can prevent a potential short. Better built components will have some type of water seal on the casing or even be covered with rosin preventing wet weather issues. Getting a bike soaked for hours or in a really heavy storm might be a bit too much, though.

Mountain bike rider @EddieJ has a lot of history riding in some pretty mucky weather on muddy roads; you might enjoy seeing just how far it's possible to push on of these ebike machines. Search for some of his posts, pics and technical info, you'll get some interesting insight into this issue.

don for travelling on the bike rack i bought a cheap bike cover off amazon and a cheap truck bungee to strap it down well and they have lasted for a lot of miles and kept the bikes dry

total cost was probably $30 and it works great when needed
of course you do have to get out and strap them down in the rain which is no fun lol

don for travelling on the bike rack i bought a cheap bike cover off amazon and a cheap truck bungee to strap it down well and they have lasted for a lot of miles and kept the bikes dry

total cost was probably $30 and it works great when needed
of course you do have to get out and strap them down in the rain which is no fun lol

This seems like a pretty good idea. I will have to look into this and get one.

dp i think somewhere, maybe under accessories i posted about this and the amazon links, will see if i can find it

have a couple of these bike covers and so far using the cargo bungee over them they have held up better than i expected
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YBD6SEY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0054YE8AU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

one thing to remember is on my car or suv with my fat bikes this set up covers my lights completely, even the upper brake light
probably be better with the smaller epik
i have a light bar on the bottom of my rack
but it is not the greatest solution - that is another story and i have put off messing with it because i bought an enclosed trailer to haul my bikes

saw one of these on the road the other day and it rocked, pricey but it looked well made- you have to scroll down to the covers with lights built in
http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/bicycleproduct/reartransportcovers.html

Back