Enviolo shifter tips or tricks?

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Hi Guys,

I got my first puncture in my rear tire of my SC2 after 8700km today - a very slow leak.

I’d previously had grief just practicing removing the rear tire so I watched a bunch of videos this time:

Enviolo hub wheel changing videos:

All very helpful - got the wheel off/on and hub reconnected.

BUT….. the shifter was very tight afterwards and I expected I’d done something wrong here - adjusting the barrels by the shifter didn’t seem to make much difference.

I went to LBS and they removed the shifter cover and showed me the cable was shredding / knotting on inside.

Sooo either this is a terrific coincidence or something I did in shifting the wheel caused this.

I’m going to need to replace the cables now which is a pain and additional cost and above my abilities so bike shop will do it….

But I’m now 0/2 on rear wheel removal attempts!

Any tips or tricks from experts? Any suggestions what I did wrong that might have caused this to happen or was I just unlucky?

Cheers

Sam

So an interesting update to this and sharing of the benefit of all and learning etc.

I took my bike to the LBS where I bought it, but they could not service it for 10 days, so I went to my "backup" and they did it this morning.
$10x2 for replacement shifter cables, $25 for 15min labour, $45 for "gear tuning" .... the last item I'd accept if it was a derailleur bike that required indexing, but given this was an Enviolo hub there is no indexing required .... I let that slide and just accepted the $90 bill as I know LBS are not exactly making huge money.

Anyway, I rode the 5km home and almost immediately I noticed the gearing felt off - it was like the entire range had been lowered and the display was saying "shift up" once I hit 30-31kph instead of the usual 35-37kph in max resistance/gear.

This meant unacceptable cadence to just push along at 30-32kph.

I took it back later in the day after some meetings, and got them to look at it again.

the guy said he'd just measured the existing cable length and put a new one in of same length. Anyway, as he looked at it again, he could clearly see that even when the shifter was in "max" resistance (flatlining on the shifter display) once he unclipped the cable on the hub, he could still manually rotate the hub another 1-2cm.

I left the bike with him for 30mins and came back and he'd replaced the cables again but ensured the shifting range now moved the hub to full resistance. Riding it home I think I've now got INCREASED resistance than what I had previously, with the bike now sitting on 35-38kph with a comfortable cadence (at that point the display is indicating shift up ... even though there are no more gears/resistance available).

Which makes me think, perhaps the cables were misconfigured already before being replaced - I'm guessing too short as as not allowing the shifter to move the hub the entire range - whilst it was not as "bad" as it ended up after the initial attempt at fixing it this morning which clearly made it worse in terms of resistance/cadence, now that it's fixed a second time today, I think I've actually gained some resistance from what I had previously.

All of this to say - whilst I've previously complained a few times that the Enviolo hub is 'under geared' for the Bosch HS motor, one key thing is to check the shifter cables and ensure they're actually moving the hub into full resistance mode.

I'll keep riding it but my hunch is I might have gained 3-5kph of extra "free" speed by increased resistance here.

Cheers
Sam
PS - it did make me think as well if I'd complained about the $45 fee for "gear tuning" how willing they'd have been to look at the problem when I brought it back a second time.Given they would need new cables (longer) they made no money on that and the additional labour was probably a cost neutral repair for them at best.

Last edited:
Just think what the bill would have been to have a European car serviced! I'm a glass half full guy :)

Back