Enviolo Repair / Replacment

John Fuller

Has anyone had an Enviolo 380 hub replaced, I.e., install a new hub using the old rim / spokes or new spokes? My closest R&M dealer is 600 miles away. I know a new Enviolo hub can be had from several bike parts vendors. I just don’t know if a local bike shop would be able to lace up a wheel with the new hub. Old Enviolo hub has developed looseness and is making noises I don’t like. I’m afraid to ride it, now. Bike shop where I purchased the bike is submitting a warranty claim with Enviolo but I have no idea if they will approve it (it’s over 2 years old). And, if they do approve, I don’t know what the resolution of the claim will be.

I ordered a replacement Enviolo 380 trekking hub, and my LBS is gearedup to build a new wheel. Enviolo denied a warranty claim due to the fact that my bike is almost three years old. I have logged 18,000 miles on the bike and now the Enviolo hub is making a strange noise which appears to be coming from the non-drive side of the bub. There is some sideways play when I move the wheel from side to side while still mounted on the bike. My inclination is to think there's been a bearing failure on the non-drive side of the hub. After extensive searching for information about the hub internals, I cannot find anything that suggests there is a bearing on the non-drive side of the hub. Does anyone know if there is a replaceable bearing on the non-drive side of the Enviolo hub? Also, could a freehub failure on the right side of the hub (drive side) cause the symptom I've described? Is it reasonable to expect the hub to fail after 18,000 miles?

I ordered a replacement Enviolo 380 trekking hub, and my LBS is gearedup to build a new wheel. Enviolo denied a warranty claim due to the fact that my bike is almost three years old. I have logged 18,000 miles on the bike and now the Enviolo hub is making a strange noise which appears to be coming from the non-drive side of the bub. There is some sideways play when I move the wheel from side to side while still mounted on the bike. My inclination is to think there's been a bearing failure on the non-drive side of the hub. After extensive searching for information about the hub internals, I cannot find anything that suggests there is a bearing on the non-drive side of the hub. Does anyone know if there is a replaceable bearing on the non-drive side of the Enviolo hub? Also, could a freehub failure on the right side of the hub (drive side) cause the symptom I've described? Is it reasonable to expect the hub to fail after 18,000 miles?
On the bold, Geez, I wouldn't have any problem with something like that, especially if it were just a set of bearings that needed to be replaced. I also believe a bearing on each side would be a safe bet....

Have you spoken with Enviolo about repairing/rebuilding the hub you're having trouble with?

On the bold, Geez, I wouldn't have any problem with something like that, especially if it were just a set of bearings that needed to be replaced. I also believe a bearing on each side would be a safe bet....

Have you spoken with Enviolo about repairing/rebuilding the hub you're having trouble with?
thanks for the input. I have not, but I did try to work with the dealer who sold me the bike. They made a warranty claim to Enviolo, but didn’t say anything about sending the hub to Enviolo for repair. At this stage of the game, my main concern was getting the bike back on the road. I’m 76 years old and time’s a wasting. The new hub, and the local wheel rebuild seemed to be the quickest solution to my problem. The cost is for this option is likely not that much more than would be incurred sending the hub to Enviolo for repair / rebuild, and replacing the hub gives me a new hub, not rebuilt. And, I’m sure that would take much longer than the route I’ve chosen. I’ve looked at literally over a hundred YouTube videos about Enviolo hubs, and I can’t find anything that talks about repairing or rebuilding the hub. I’ve downloaded the technical manuals for the hub, and it shows only one needle bearing on the drive side of the hub. With the wheel removed from the bike, the noise is much more pronounced. I’ll post the results of this adventure as it unfolds.

I think you made the best, expedient decision in buying new in order to get back on the road again. Looking at the below "teardown-tear apart" video, it seems to me with 18 thousand miles on the drivetrain components, that there is going to be more wear internally than just on the two side case bearings. So very likely that even with replacement bearings on hand and installed, there is nothing to say that something else internally would give you trouble shortly. Congrats though; on getting 18 thousand miles on your odometer. It's clear you've gotten you money's worth with the Enviolo. That's a good amount of dedicated riding!

Well the new Enviolo hub arrived in a couple of days. LBS did a great job of disassembling the old wheel and lacing up the existing rim to the new Enviolo hub. Installing a new tire and Tannus insert today and will mount the new wheel for a short ride this afternoon. Total cost came in at $589 ($415 for the hub, $45 for disassembly and $50 to lace up new wheel). the noise from the old hub is much louder when it’s removed from the built up wheel. I’m satisfied this was the best solution for my circumstance.

Well the new Enviolo hub arrived in a couple of days. LBS did a great job of disassembling the old wheel and lacing up the existing rim to the new Enviolo hub. Installing a new tire and Tannus insert today and will mount the new wheel for a short ride this afternoon. Total cost came in at $589 ($415 for the hub, $45 for disassembly and $50 to lace up new wheel). the noise from the old hub is much louder when it’s removed from the built up wheel. I’m satisfied this was the best solution for my circumstance.
That labor cost looks like a bargain!

I’ve been doing business with this LBS for years and I used to own a UPS Store in the same strip mall. The mechanics there are very knowledgeable and the service level is great. There may have been a little “fellow business owner” discount in those numbers. Bottom line is the bike feels like new. Shifting is much smoother than with the old hub, and it’s much more fun to ride this than the Specialized Crosstrail I’ve been riding for the past three weeks! I came home from a 20 mile ride this morning with a huge smile on my face.

I think the answer to this question needs it's own topic. I can share there's no right or wrong answer to my way of thinking. This call is all about YOUR preferences.

#1 I'm about ready to purchase a Priority Current. I have a choice between a regular Shimano hub or an enviro hub which is a kind of continuous variable transmission (CVT). Has anyone out there ever used an enviro hub? What are your impressions? I've heard it adds about 2 lbs to the weight of the bike.
At the top right of each page here is a search function

Search for "enviolo nuvinci" . You'll find a ton of good information

Back