Electric bike cost

I bought the bike 12/27/17 so nearly exactly 4 years. 8000 miles Cost/mile $.797 This site can't upload a spreadsheet .odg
If I bought the 8' bed pickup I need $45000, it would become useless due to check engine light disease in 11 years. I would still travel ~2000 miles per year. Insurance would be $800 a year, tires 2 sets @ $1000 fuel $.12/mile repairs $1000 $58000/22000=$2.64/mile
Add to bike cost the $400 a year I spend renting U-haul trucks.
Subtract from the bike cost the heart drugs I don't need, the cardiologist I don't need, and the insulin I don't need because my diabetes is under control. Also the titanium knees I don't need because of no cartlege and bone spurs. Subtract the hospital charges I didn't need for 157 days of covid19 and 51 days of delta because I can pump 6 times the oxygen I need to sit around. I kept riding the bike during both diseases, just used more electricity than when healthy.
My father was on about 8 medicines and still had a stroke 2 years after retirement that ruined his short term memory. I'm on 3 medicines. I've been retired 13 years and my mind is fine.

Last edited:
@indianajo, You might like this one. It is based on the same bike and the same color as yours. I finished it last night, delivered it today. Then I got caught in a down pour riding the loaner back. What I did was take a $650 bike and convert it. It will carry 250 pounds on the rear rack. Who needs a station wagon?
1640549338391.jpeg

Attachments

• BodaXMc.JPG
    BodaXMc.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 142
  • BodaXMd.JPG
    BodaXMd.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 149
What an interesting discussion and something I was just thinking about last night as I looked at my yearly mileage since I bought my ebike (levo SL comp carbon) a year and a week ago roughly. I spent $8,000 USD on the bike and I have put a whopping ~525 miles on it this year! Now that may not seem like a lot to some members but that is A LOT to me given my state of health and various health issues. My average ride is around 8-10 miles and takes me about 35-55 minutes depending on factors, paved bike trail. Sometimes I'm lucky to get out to a mountain bike trail around here health permitting, but most of that mileage is paved trail. alot of that riding is in turbo mode pushing my body about as hard as I can as well as the bike, I find it incredibly fun.

That being said my cost per mile so far is ~$15.25 a mile, not counting the myriad of upgrades I have done to the bike and the service I just had done. Quite a pretty penny indeed but how do you put a price on being able to ride more than 3 miles at a time and being able to hit the trails with your friends? Its priceless to me and all on a bike I love very very much with a very high build quality.

I'm now looking at possibly getting an ICE adventure trike with the steps ep8 motor and rohloff hub, which will cost me around ~14k once the tax settles but if it allows me to do the couple hour long ~35 mile loop around the city with people so be it, I just can't put a price on this stuff and I can make do to afford it, beats wasting away in front of the computer any day!

Has anyone calculated the per-mile cost of owning an electric bike verses an automobile or a small motorcycle? I know the cost of recharging the battery is minimal but when factoring in the purchase cost of an e-bike, the bikes lifespan, maintenance and the cost of a battery replacement it may not be all that economical in the long run.
If anyone has any opinions they are welcome to chime in.
while this doesn't fully answer your question just think about the cost of gas alone!

Titanium BBSHD mid drive fat bike+ 4 batteries+ extra set of wheels+ 15amp charger
Bike build plus upgrades $6,300.00 US
Maintenance $2,385.00
Less value of bike and parts -$2,200.00

Cost not including labor $6,435.00
or insurance
Miles 15,263
Cost per mile is 42.2 cents per mile
Cost per mile with labor
@ $30/ hour probably $1 per mile
5 year ownership+ miles ridden Priceless

My truck
2011 Ford Ranger XLT
Purchase price $16,500
Value now - $3,500
Insurance $6,170
Maintenance $7,800
Gas $29,140
Total $56,110
Does not include labor
Miles 235,000
Cost per mile is 23.9 cents per mile
Final word. Bike costs more and I don't give a hoot.

Last edited:
Back