Electric Bicycle Fatalities & Injuries Are Rising

So these fatalities are coming from the brutal acceleration of class 2 ebikes with throttles? :) Any fit cyclist can go as fast or faster than an ebike except uphill
Any "fit cyclist" on a regular bike is not an unfit 60+yo who is going as fast as the fit cyclist. Just like the snow birds I mentioned. They maybe going as fast I'm going but their reflexes/reaction time/attention span is horrible and that gets them into a lot more accidents.

Last edited:
More people riding ebikes equals more accidents.. I totally get that.. Riding an ebike makes you twice as likely to be seriously injured compared to a regular bike? I have to throw a flag .. A 60+ yr. old unfit guy or gal on a regular bike would be crashing more than the median accident rate too

A 60+ yr. old unfit guy or gal on a regular bike would be crashing more than the median accident rate too
But that's the thing. That 60+yo unfit guy/gap will not ride the regular bike cause it's a lot of hard work for him/her. But he/she will ride the ebike cause it's a lot easier. And that what gets him/her into trouble.

But I don't think they'd be less likely to crash on a regular bike if they bought one of those instead. Vilifying the ebike because more old people will crash doesn't seem fair. We are ALL taking a chance riding on two wheels. Older unfit people would also crash more on a motorcycle if they chose to ride one.

C'mon old guys! Are you going to take this abuse? LOL At 58, I'm going to admit that these 60+ comments are getting "old." Age is less relevant than just being in shape, having experience and knowing your limits. It's purely an individual thing that depends on amount/type of physical activity outside of cycling. I shoot hoops with the kids, who make me play left handed, help them practice la crosse and field hockey, teach a neighborhood girl the art of volleyball and am reigning ping pong champion in our house (left-handed) - stuff that requires coordination and reflexes. Not to mention logging miles on e-bikes and my old 10-speed - "the red lead sled."

*SIGH* Now I have to awkwardly admit that I'm in the midst of dealing with an old vball injury that I should have fixed the first time (rotator cuff - MRI this week) and just got over a bad back from unloading my first order of e-bikes back in August - only two of the guys I hired showed and the driver put me on a clock when there was no loading dock availability. Had to do it one-by-one from the back of a truck over 6' off the ground. That's my reason, not my excuse. LOL

I think the term you're all thinking is "denial."

Back