EG Athens

Based on Court' review and riding this bike myself I decided to buy it for my wife. I agree with everything Court said in his review, so no need to re-hash the details. My wife loves the classy look and solid feel. She also loves the easy and versatile electric controls for pedal assist and throttle. It's not a power house like my Prodeco Phantom, but for my wife that's a good thing. She wanted a bike with power that wouldn't surprise her. For the money this is a great bike. I payed considerably less than retail too, which is great. As a random coincidence the owner Wayne of EG USA was visiting the shop I bought the bike from. He is a great guy who answered all of my questions. You could tell he is passionate about offering a quality product at an affordable price. Any questions feel free to ask.

Justin, glad you enjoyed your experience and got a chance to meet Wayne in person, my first time too, and I know your wife will enjoy the Athens when the weather is more cooperative. I am looking forward to installing the pedal assist on your Phantom when the parts arrive, it's always nice to get some hands on experience with the new products coming out. The passion you saw I find everywhere in this industry from suppliers, dealers and especially customers. I see great things coming with ebikes as more and more people come online and experience what is so much more than just a new type of machine. One thing I never need to do is encourage people to pass it on, that comes without saying. Thanks for coming back and looking forward to seeing you again soon.

Based on Court' review and riding this bike myself I decided to buy it for my wife. I agree with everything Court said in his review, so no need to re-hash the details. My wife loves the classy look and solid feel. She also loves the easy and versatile electric controls for pedal assist and throttle. It's not a power house like my Prodeco Phantom, but for my wife that's a good thing. She wanted a bike with power that wouldn't surprise her. For the money this is a great bike. I payed considerably less than retail too, which is great. As a random coincidence the owner Wayne of EG USA was visiting the shop I bought the bike from. He is a great guy who answered all of my questions. You could tell he is passionate about offering a quality product at an affordable price. Any questions feel free to ask.

EG bikes are great value.
We are inviting Wayne again this summer for our customer appreciation day celebration. I will keep you posted.

EG bikes are great value.
We are inviting Wayne again this summer for our customer appreciation day celebration. I will keep you posted.
I was able to test ride this bike last weekend at crazy Lenny's (I keep wanting to call you Crazy TV Lenny) and was impressed. Being a smaller person the lower powered motor is not a big deal, and the price was right.

The big turnoff for me was the locking system for the battery. It really is a deal killer, and it appears to be the same for all EG bikes. It's to bad as EG are the only e-bikes I like that are in my price range. I have run into the same issue in the past with wheel locks, only this is much worse. Not being able to remove the key in the locked position makes no sense. It essentially means if you take the bike out for an errand, when you lock the bike to a rack you have two choices, leave the key in the battery, or take the battery with you. The choice of EG to not be able to remove the key in the locked position is silly to say the least. Very bad choice by EG.

It would cost essentially nothing extra for EG to swap out the locking mechanism to something much more user friendly.

I was able to test ride this bike last weekend at crazy Lenny's (I keep wanting to call you Crazy TV Lenny) and was impressed. Being a smaller person the lower powered motor is not a big deal, and the price was right.

The big turnoff for me was the locking system for the battery. It really is a deal killer, and it appears to be the same for all EG bikes. It's to bad as EG are the only e-bikes I like that are in my price range. I have run into the same issue in the past with wheel locks, only this is much worse. Not being able to remove the key in the locked position makes no sense. It essentially means if you take the bike out for an errand, when you lock the bike to a rack you have two choices, leave the key in the battery, or take the battery with you. The choice of EG to not be able to remove the key in the locked position is silly to say the least. Very bad choice by EG.

It would cost essentially nothing extra for EG to swap out the locking mechanism to something much more user friendly.
Hi Alan, welcome.

Are you sure the lock/switch isn't a 3 position switch? I don't know the EG, but most of these switches have 3 positions; 1 - off and unlocked, key and battery can be removed. 2 - off and locked, battery is locked and key can be removed. 3 - on and locked, battery power is on and key cannot be removed.

Good luck in your search!

You can remove the key with the battery locked in just turn it to the off position. It is designed that way to address the exact issue you mention. The only time the key needs to be in the bike is in the on position.

Well that's good news. Another visit to Lenny's may be in order (I hope they have it in black). It is still a bit of a hassle as the key always has to be in when using the bike which is not ideal. I wouldn't want to have the key with my other house keys, etc. That means a separate key in my pocket. Easy to lose as that is what happened with my wheel lock. But it's a lot better then not being able to remove the key in the off position.

The reason I had assumed it was just a two position lock was because that is how my wheel lock worked. Me bad.

Alan. when your wrong your wrong. As explained my earlier post that is one feature that I particularly point out to potential buyers. You can leave the battery locked in, and power off and take the key. A thief would have to work at stealing your battery and no body can mess with the power while you are away from your bike. Please be sure of your facts before posting so called "knowledge" on forums. It disparages a brand and store.

Just to let you know if your interested in the Athens we are down to five only one black and can't get any more till mid July. We sell that many on a slow day so hurry in. That is our best selling model, nice quality on a value bike with full features such as rack, fenders and lights.

Alan, my friend, I would just go buy it. The key thing is really not a big deal. It's an annoyance at best. My wife and I took our e-bikes on a mild off road trail in Door County a couple of weekends ago. Her Athens handled the trail like a champ. You will not regret buying the Athens. I promise you! In my opinion it's the best bang for the buck.

Athens stock will be gone within the next day or so and next shipment won't arrive till mid July earliest. Don't miss out on a great deal. The biking season is short enough in Wisconsin. We have many great bikes but there are many reasons the EG Athens continues to be our best selling model we just can't keep them in stock they sell so fast. And thanks Justin for the great recommendation I hope you and your wife are enjoying your bikes.

Well that's good news. Another visit to Lenny's may be in order (I hope they have it in black). It is still a bit of a hassle as the key always has to be in when using the bike which is not ideal. I wouldn't want to have the key with my other house keys, etc. That means a separate key in my pocket. Easy to lose as that is what happened with my wheel lock. But it's a lot better then not being able to remove the key in the off position.

The reason I had assumed it was just a two position lock was because that is how my wheel lock worked. Me bad.
The EG Zurich 12Ah battery can be locked and the key can be removed while in a locked or unlocked position.

The EG Athens is the 2nd e-bike I've ridden. I liked it as soon as I sat on it. Good looking bike. Fits my wife perfectly. These things must sell themselves. We took it out on the bike path behind Lennys today. It's a lot of fun.

Then Connor and Evan at Lennys rolled out an EG Maui for her to try out today, and she picked that. It was in stock, on sale, so we took it home (150 miles away in Illinois).

Nice to meet you guys and Lenny too in Madison.

Hi,

So now that she has had the Athens for a while, how does she feel about it? How has it ridden up steep hills?
And, distance an issue?
Thanks,
Irene

Alan. when your wrong your wrong. As explained my earlier post that is one feature that I particularly point out to potential buyers. You can leave the battery locked in, and power off and take the key. A thief would have to work at stealing your battery and no body can mess with the power while you are away from your bike. Please be sure of your facts before posting so called "knowledge" on forums. It disparages a brand and store.

Hi,

So now that she has had the Athens for a while, how does she feel about it? How has it ridden up steep hills?
And, distance an issue?
Thanks,
Irene

We have a very steep hill by our house. The bike handles it very well. It will go up the hill on it's own power, but it's good to pedal along while going up a hill. My wife really likes the bike. She says it has everything she needs. The range on the bike is very good when using pedal assist. My wife usually is in the middle pedal assist mode. I'm not sure what the actual range is, but after a 15 mile ride the bike will still indicate it's at full charge. That's a good indication to me that the bike will go between 30 to 40 miles on a charge.

Thank you
I did buy the Athens, last night. As I was walking in the store, a fairly big guy was standing out front with an Athens. He said that his ebike was 2 years old, and he loved it. He also confirmed that he took it up hills. I was uncertain, and have spent a week going back and forth between several bikes. I liked the ride, etc., of the Athens, but others were concerned that I wouldn't get up hills, or get reasonable mileage. "The guy", said that he gets the mileage that is expected.

If need be, i can always trade up.
Happy trails,
Irene

Last edited:
Hi,

I live in Monona. Is there an ebike group in Madison?

Thanks,
Irene

Athens stock will be gone within the next day or so and next shipment won't arrive till mid July earliest. Don't miss out on a great deal. The biking season is short enough in Wisconsin. We have many great bikes but there are many reasons the EG Athens continues to be our best selling model we just can't keep them in stock they sell so fast. And thanks Justin for the great recommendation I hope you and your wife are enjoying your bikes.

A shipment of , I think 40, Athens came in on Monday.
I just picked up mine last night.

Irene

Back