ebikekit.com Dead. I Don't Know the Problem, Please Help

skidmarc

Region
USA
I have an Electric bike Technologies (ebikekit.com) conversion kit that I ran with Ego Power batteries, the lawn mower ones not the vape one. About two weeks before writing this the otherwise trouble free kit just shut off on me without warning or troubles be for and now will not turn on. I cannot figure out what is wrong. Please help if you got it.

Helpful points of information.

I checked the connections they are tight and do not appear damaged. By the way I found shower caps are great at covering your battery connectors from the rain and seat from the sun.

The controller was set to DIY (destroy it yourself) settings at the max 50 volts for two out of ten sections for the power curve on a battery.

My batteries both still work, I ran them in my mower and got the normal run time out of them, voltmeter is not an option for me.

The kit is a year old.

Yes I have reach out to the company, the dude that wrote me back was not helpful.

My initial conclusion is I did something to the controller but I don't know the cause of the problem

A DVM would tell you if voltage is getting to the controller above the minimum voltage. That is basic. There are frequent battery problems in the lower price ranges. Besides the possible bad connections from push-in battery connectors.
Other than that the "door switch input" (ignition switch) or pas sensor or throttle sensor could have lost contact. Brake sensors are usually normally open so not likely to stall the controller.

Please Clarify DVM, I assume you mean a volt meter. That is not available to me right now. As for the connections I Checked those and was sure they where tight. I will inspect them for damage though.
Please do treat me a little stupid this once, I am sure I missed something.

Please Clarify DVM, I assume you mean a volt meter. That is not available to me right now.
They sell DVM at Wal-mart or Meijers 24 hours a day in the auto dept, or at home depot, lowes etc 16 hours a day. Also available from ebay or amazon. The $1 ones from harbor freight lie sometimes, waste your time.
Checking electrical parts with your eyes is unproductive, unless a branch or stick has grabbed a wire right off.

All we know is that the batteries still work, and they're Ego lawn mower packs. Did you cannibalize some EGO battery holders to get the power to the bike, or did you make up your own. I've seen people proudly show off paper clips and duct tape, so I hope you did better than that, but that's the first place to look.

Even the cheapest kit from ebikekit.com uses a display. Does that light up?

LCD displays only need battery power to light up. The controller doesn't even have to work. A bike tech would unplug the display from the 4:1 cable at the handlebars, Then that tech would use a DVM to probe for battery voltage on two of the pins in the display connector,

You probably got no voltage because of a bad connection from the battery. If there is voltage, then the tech plugs in a spare display. If that works, problem is solved. DIsplays rarely fail unless they got wet or the bike fell down. There are other ways to see if ypou got battery voltage going thru the connectors, but all need a voltmeter and the skill to use it,

Maybe you can shake your connectors and they will start working,

I know the owner personally. Try calling them. Jason has a reputation for giving good service. Another option is dogman on endless_sphere, he was a tech for them and is extremely knowledgeable. Luna sold kits from the same maker. Is the controller in a black plastic enclosure? The older none PAS versions seemed a week spot. I did 2 builds with them in 2015. One is still running, one controller took a dump. $142!!!

Last edited:
Back