Ebike recommendation for Victoria, BC Commute

crunchyjoe

Region
Canada
City
Victoria
Hello, First time posting on this forum and hope that I am providing good info.

I am considering switching from commuting with my car to getting an ebike (also considering an escooter but that's not the subject of this site).

the capabilities I need are:
  • ability to keep up 30-40km/h average speed for 40km+ range (charging at my workplace is possible) with mild hills and inclines
  • preferably a throttle option or at least easy addition of one as pedal assist only is limiting.
  • good for someone of 200 lbs with 20ish lbs of bags (this shouldn't be much of an issue with 500w as my default)
  • looking for maybe 750w or higher, debating on mid drive or hub drive
  • price preferably around $2500 (lower is obviously better)
  • of course, easily obtainable in canada with no crazy shipping, victoria local even better
brands I have been considering:
  • biktrix (juggernaut hub duo mostly)
  • voltbike (probably the yukon 750 limited)
  • rize bikes (these are all getting up there in price for me)
  • local brand Cit-e bikes which has a custom 500w bafang bike with 48v 17.5ah battery (if I think 500w hub motor is enough)
  • any of the bigger brands like trek, marin, etc. but really they all seem far too expensive for way less performance
if any victoria locals know the lochside regional trail route, that's what i'll be taking daily to get to work, with some roads (downtown to saanichton).

Anyway, thanks and let me know your recommendations. and yes I do know that the "official" local laws are 500w max with no throttle and 32km/h limit but I am willing to take the risk and I am a sensible rider.

Last edited:
I have a Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra and a Rize Blade. Each is good in its own way. I think that Biktrix has a showroom in Vancouver, and Rize has a showroom in Richmond. Can you arrange a test ride?

Welcome to the forums.
I think your budget expectations are a little low, but it's always good to have a starting point.
For example, the Biktrix starts at @2899 but that's with no extras. I'll step back now and let others who know more than I expand on options for you.

But, before I go, after 32km/hr, in Canada, e-bikes stop providing their assistance and different drivetrains have different levels of drag if you really want to go faster.
You can of course un-restrict most bikes, but that's a whole new set of issues.

You have plenty of reading ahead of you - search function is top right and is useful in gathering opinions.

Wishing you good luck on your search, and even better luck on finding what you want in stock somewhere.

Hello, First time posting on this forum and hope that I am providing good info.

I am considering switching from commuting with my car to getting an ebike (also considering an escooter but that's not the subject of this site).

the capabilities I need are:
  • ability to keep up 30-40km/h average speed for 40km+ range (charging at my workplace is possible) with mild hills and inclines
  • preferably a throttle option or at least easy addition of one as pedal assist only is limiting.
  • good for someone of 200 lbs with 20ish lbs of bags (this shouldn't be much of an issue with 500w as my default)
  • looking for maybe 750w or higher, debating on mid drive or hub drive
  • price preferably around $2500 (lower is obviously better)
  • of course, easily obtainable in canada with no crazy shipping, victoria local even better
brands I have been considering:
  • biktrix (juggernaut hub duo mostly)
  • voltbike (probably the yukon 750 limited)
  • rize bikes (these are all getting up there in price for me)
  • local brand Cit-e bikes which has a custom 500w bafang bike with 48v 17.5ah battery (if I think 500w hub motor is enough)
  • any of the bigger brands like trek, marin, etc. but really they all seem far too expensive for way less performance
if any victoria locals know the lochside regional trail route, that's what i'll be taking daily to get to work, with some roads (downtown to saanichton).

Anyway, thanks and let me know your recommendations. and yes I do know that the "official" local laws are 500w max with no throttle and 32km/h limit but I am willing to take the risk and I am a sensible rider.
That is pretty much my exact commute. Esquimalt to Keating Cross. I have 2 Rize bikes, a 750 hub, and a 1000w mid-drive Ultra - both unlocked and unrestricted. The mid-drive is my main ride for commuting, because I can sustain 40kph quite easily, and hills are insignificant (I'm a large guy, so the extra power is necessary). The Lochside route is quite flat, so hills don't really play into it, and the 750 is completely adequate. When I bought mine, there was no torque sensor option available on the 750 hub, but there is one available on the new ones. I would be very interested in the new models with the torque sensor and dual-battery option. The Interurban or West Saanich road routes have enough hills that the mid-drive easily wins out, especially with cargo.

It is worth noting that the 1000w mid-drive motor is a bit of a battery hog at high speeds compared to the hubs, so getting it done on one battery is tight (I can't do it, but I'm 350lbs with panniers all loaded up). I can easily make the return trip on one 19ah battery on the hub drive bike - but I don't have enough power for the bigger hills and I can overheat the motor (fat guy problems, lol). I have ridden the entire Galloping Goose from Esquimalt to Leechtown with 2 batteries on the hub bike and range to spare. The new bikes can be configured with dual batteries, and I suspect either one would be fine with the 30ah provided by the dual battery setup. Biktirx also has dual battery options. I think a 500w hub with your size and cargo might leave you a little disappointed on any of the hillier routes, but your range would be exceptional. A 500w mid-drive would likely be just fine as the gears would help on the hills.

Last thought is that the Lochside is the easiest route, and actually quite scenic, but gets old. I find mixing up the route keeps it interesting, and the inside routes are fine on weekends or off-peak hours when the traffic isn't so heavy. Not fun if mixing with rush-hour though. And the Lochside has a lot of gravel at the north end, so be prepared to wash your bike all the time, and lube accordingly. It's surprises me how dirty the bike gets on that ride during the dry summer months.

And just be prepared to do a little more maintenance on the bikes in the sub-$3000 category, as that is where the savings trade-off comes in. A Trek or Specialized, etc. is much more money, but the component quality might hold up better if you become a true high-mile commuter. Resale is good here though, so if the cheaper bike doesn't cut it, you can sell it easily at a high percentage of the purchase value.

I don't have anything to add-just wanted to say hello.
I live in Parksville and bring my motorhome down to Victoria 3 or 4 times a year.
I love the many rail trails throughout Victoria.

That is pretty much my exact commute. Esquimalt to Keating Cross. I have 2 Rize bikes, a 750 hub, and a 1000w mid-drive Ultra - both unlocked and unrestricted. The mid-drive is my main ride for commuting, because I can sustain 40kph quite easily, and hills are insignificant (I'm a large guy, so the extra power is necessary). The Lochside route is quite flat, so hills don't really play into it, and the 750 is completely adequate. When I bought mine, there was no torque sensor option available on the 750 hub, but there is one available on the new ones. I would be very interested in the new models with the torque sensor and dual-battery option. The Interurban or West Saanich road routes have enough hills that the mid-drive easily wins out, especially with cargo.

It is worth noting that the 1000w mid-drive motor is a bit of a battery hog at high speeds compared to the hubs, so getting it done on one battery is tight (I can't do it, but I'm 350lbs with panniers all loaded up). I can easily make the return trip on one 19ah battery on the hub drive bike - but I don't have enough power for the bigger hills and I can overheat the motor (fat guy problems, lol). I have ridden the entire Galloping Goose from Esquimalt to Leechtown with 2 batteries on the hub bike and range to spare. The new bikes can be configured with dual batteries, and I suspect either one would be fine with the 30ah provided by the dual battery setup. Biktirx also has dual battery options. I think a 500w hub with your size and cargo might leave you a little disappointed on any of the hillier routes, but your range would be exceptional. A 500w mid-drive would likely be just fine as the gears would help on the hills.

Last thought is that the Lochside is the easiest route, and actually quite scenic, but gets old. I find mixing up the route keeps it interesting, and the inside routes are fine on weekends or off-peak hours when the traffic isn't so heavy. Not fun if mixing with rush-hour though. And the Lochside has a lot of gravel at the north end, so be prepared to wash your bike all the time, and lube accordingly. It's surprises me how dirty the bike gets on that ride during the dry summer months.

And just be prepared to do a little more maintenance on the bikes in the sub-$3000 category, as that is where the savings trade-off comes in. A Trek or Specialized, etc. is much more money, but the component quality might hold up better if you become a true high-mile commuter. Resale is good here though, so if the cheaper bike doesn't cut it, you can sell it easily at a high percentage of the purchase value.
Thanks for the response, this pretty much gives me all the info I need if I do decide to go forward with buying a bike.

A mid drive of 500 watts seems to be what I want at minimum, hub might be disappointing and you and many others have said that mid drives have advantages in terms of hill climbing and ability to shift gears.

I am still debating the purchase in general or if I want a scooter instead, and your comments about getting 2 batteries are definitely a good idea, but I think a little bit too expensive for me, ultimately this will not be my only form of transportation. So putting everything into the purchase is not really what I want as part of the motivation is saving gas money.

Back