Ebike Reccomendations for Towing

Range difference for me had less to do with the hub placement and more to do with throttle vs pedal assist. With my hub system, the thumb drive was either on or off - no variation (it was a Clean Republic system). That's fine in town when commuting and frankly, you just want to get somewhere. But out on terrain which required more adjustments, it drained the battery fast. Also, the mid drive is much better for handling. It simply rides like a bike and the weight of the bike compliments the need for traction. Having the motor in the front hub was fine going down a road / bike path but lost traction easily in anything off road. The Clean Republic system was a great and easy way to cheaply get introduced to the ebike and I don't regret it at all. Frankly, 3.5 years later, I've loaned it to a coworker and she is still using it daily. I wouldn't recommend a wheel hub for a trailer system though. Either you end up with a front wheel with less traction or a lot of weight on the back tire. If you are a big guy, that doesn't help any either.

With the trailer and hills, if it were me, I would upgrade to 203mm brakes. Cheap as chips to do (less than $50) and would give you a bit more thermal capacity. Brakes are funny things, you sometimes don't kow you need better ones until you NEED better ones.

That's some steep hill in the video. Heavy trailer, too.

Speaking of throttle and PAS - does any factory-made bike with 500+ motor have REALLY variable speed throttle that doesn't go from Zero to Max with minuscule 1/4" twist of the handle? I know, some throttles are limited to the currently set PAS level, ex. you twist the handle all you like but on PAS 1 it will only go 6-8 mph, but this is not what I meant.

That's some steep hill in the video. Heavy trailer, too.

Speaking of throttle and PAS - does any factory-made bike with 500+ motor have REALLY variable speed throttle that doesn't go from Zero to Max with minuscule 1/4" twist of the handle? I know, some throttles are limited to the currently set PAS level, ex. you twist the handle all you like but on PAS 1 it will only go 6-8 mph, but this is not what I meant.
Rad has the 1/4 twist throttle, 0 to 100% available at all time. Great for just getting started.

Back