eBike Range Calculators | Found a way to include the 'difficult range factors' - but it needs your feedback!

eBikeaholic

I built a few simple eBike range calculators last night in an attempt to include the 'impossible to account for' range factors, and spit out a more realistic battery capacity need and range expectation.

Please give it a try and let me know if it makes sense and/or how we can improve it!

**Updated v2**

https://www.ebikeaholic.org/ebike-range-calculator

First we answer 15 quick questions using google forms to get our 'personal efficiency factor' (does 'consumption factor' make more sense here?). The form adds points depending on usage factors, and spits out an expected watt hours per mile (Wh/mi). Apologies to the metric users - I put km conversions within, but you'll need to convert your final score to Wh/km by dividing it by 1.609 or ask google to do it for you.

This could be really helpful for noobs looking to buy their first eBike, but also gives experienced builders a way to play around with battery capacity for new higher power builds. It's anonymous but allows each user to see the averages of all previous responses.

I think we'll mostly just need to fine tune the weights of each response, so let me know if any response points seem way off. Each point represents a Wh/mi. You can see all the points in the results page.

Also, please let me know if we should add anything and if your efficiency score seems accurate.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for your work. However, the page is confusing to navigate/understand. After submitting my answers for Step 1, what does the "Total points" metric on top mean? Is that number what I enter for ESTIMATED EFFICIENCY FACTOR in Step 2?

Also, for Battery Condition, what does "Abused for 3+ years " mean? Does my battery being older than 3 years make it abused? Or, do I choose "Over 2 years old "?

Thanks for your work. However, the page is confusing to navigate/understand. After submitting my answers for Step 1, what does the "Total points" metric on top mean? Is that number what I enter for ESTIMATED EFFICIENCY FACTOR in Step 2?

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll work on that, yeah unfortunately google forms treats it like a quiz and shows the "total points" score as the score over the total... I can't change that, but will try to explain it better somehow. Yes the first number of the score (ex: 41/200), 41 is your estimated efficiency factor which you then plug into the calculator in step 2.

I'll try to make this more clear by changing 'Efficiency Factor' to 'Efficency Score' on all of them.

As for the abused 3+ yr battery - you're right - I'll add more responses to that one. I guess I was thinking either abused -or- over 3 years old... but a well maintainted battery could last over 3 yrs without much range penalty. Maybe 'Brand new' - 2 yrs - 3 yrs - 4 yrs - Abused for 5+ yrs would be more appropriate.

Last edited:
I just updated the original page with a v2 version of the form. Got some more good feedback on Reddit and about 50 quiz responses. The average Wh/mi score was 37 which seemed way too high since most responders chose 500w or 250w. I think the quiz was oversimplified so I made the following changes:
  • Removed the initial watt hour rule of thumb base question.
  • Added a few questions.
  • Added a bunch of responses - hopefully will give a better spread of the points.
Updated v2: https://www.ebikeaholic.org/ebike-range-calculator

Last edited:
So far v2 has almost a hundred responses. The average score is 30 wh/mi. Still seems a bit high but I'll have to look through the responses and see if some of the question weights need to be reduced.

I published a calc walk-through / 500w range test vid:

... my first time at the Austin Veloway - pretty awesome!

Last edited:
You are using only PAS 1 of 9 and your speed were above 20 most of the time with low efficiency score of 35 wh/mile.

Most factory ebikes can barely maintain 100% above 20 mph and at that speeds they need to be at the highest PAS level. Also their efficiency scores are between 20-25 wh/mile at speeds above 20 mph. Most factory ebikes with mid drives can achieve 10-15 wh/mile at lowest PAS.

Your algorithm is more suitable for DIY people with double the power of factory ebikes. If you look at the range calculator of Bosch you can even attain as low as 5 wh/mile.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you've done this. I think this is an incredibly difficult exercise as there are so many different variables.

I filled out the information for the type of riding I mostly do and well as the information for my bike. It gave me a score of 23 wh per mile, which is way off my actual experience. But I understand that my bike and situation is not representative of most here so don't take this as criticism of your calculator. I'm an outlier and I would just leave it at that.

fwiw - I ride a Creo and I usually get about 3 wh per mile. Once when I used the Smart Control with it tied to my HR monitor that was roughly 1 wh per mile, but obviously I'm using the motor differently than most people. It's just an assist for hills or when I'm hammering hard, other than that the motor was off under Smart Control.

It does make me wonder though what the efficiencies are of various motors. I'm guessing that there are differences, I just don't know what they are. When the Creo first came out I figured I wouldn't be interested since the battery was so small. I figured the range would suck. But after reading reviews of the bike and comments that it was quite efficient I decided to take the plunge and I've been pleasantly surprised at the range of the bike.

I also have a Juiced Cross Current S and that bike has a 614 wh battery. It's a big heavy beast that I use for commuting. Despite having a battery almost double the size of the one in the Creo the range on my Juiced CCS can't match the Creo. It's obviously more than just the difference in motor, it's the riding position, the weight of the bike, etc ….

Anyhow great job on your range calculator, it's an asset to this community.

I've got 27 Wh/mi. Improbable. It would mean 22.4 mi on my 604 Wh battery. I'm making 40 miles on that battery with quite solid pedal assistance.
P.S. I was making 28 miles with heavy PAS in the wintertime, during cold weather and nasty headwinds.

Ok that was interesting. I 'scored' 28 wh/mile. I actually calculate it every ride when I get back. In real life I average between 12 and 13 wh/mile by my computation. Thanks.

While out riding today, I remembered that I have 3 settings eco, normal, and sport. I keep it in eco. I don't recall this being in the survey. I am not sure how many bikes have such a variable. But it could explain some of the 'miss' on my calculation vs real life.

Back