Ebike rack

Here's a relatively cheap option: the Weize hitch rack currently on sale for $150 (or there's a foldable version for $170). Rated up to 120 pounds for 2 bikes. I just assembled and used it for the first time today. Definitely not as nice looking as the 1up Surrey Pete has, but it's sturdy and wasn't too hard to assemble. Works with fat tires and long wheelbases.

One downside: not super quick to remove from the hitch. You have to remove the towing pin and also loosen a couple bolts. It does have a nice feature of tilting down to allow use of the trunk while bikes are on it, though.

View attachment 128362View attachment 128362
img_3179-jpg.128361

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpg
    IMG_3179.jpg
    421.9 KB · Views: 914
  • 3155E283-D860-4B8B-A63D-BA7C05C7D1CA.jpeg
    3155E283-D860-4B8B-A63D-BA7C05C7D1CA.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 0D9F664D-4303-45DB-9DF8-4F5EABBCB118.jpeg
    0D9F664D-4303-45DB-9DF8-4F5EABBCB118.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 4BFAF039-9CAA-4CB6-8AB8-679478EB42ED.jpeg
    4BFAF039-9CAA-4CB6-8AB8-679478EB42ED.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 227
  • B94710D9-64B0-4915-AE85-ACF83FA6AE07.jpeg
    B94710D9-64B0-4915-AE85-ACF83FA6AE07.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
So here is a Gazelle with the battery removed on a 1.25 inch 1Up Equip D rack.
Took my bike to the LBS without wobbling although I did use Velcro strap on the front wheel and between the back fender and the arm to prevent movement.
Overall very pleased with the rack.
I may eventually change the hitch to a 2 inch though.

So here is a Gazelle with the battery removed on a 1.25 inch 1Up Equip D rack.
Took my bike to the LBS without wobbling although I did use Velcro strap on the front wheel and between the back fender and the arm to prevent movement.
Overall very pleased with the rack.
I may eventually change the hitch to a 2 inch though.
Very nice. My rack is post #19. I don't use the velco straps and have gotten comfortable using the rack.

Is my first day using it. Perhaps once I am less paranoid will stop using the strap, but it does help the front to back wobbling of the bike inside the arms.
I am glad I returned the Kuat 2.0. The lack of information on using 1UP with fenders and e-bikes made my decision making very slow.
You post with pics and Pete's helped me go for it.
Thanks.

Here's a relatively cheap option: the Weize hitch rack currently on sale for $150 (or there's a foldable version for $170). Rated up to 120 pounds for 2 bikes. I just assembled and used it for the first time today. Definitely not as nice looking as the 1up Surrey Pete has, but it's sturdy and wasn't too hard to assemble. Works with fat tires and long wheelbases.

One downside: not super quick to remove from the hitch. You have to remove the towing pin and also loosen a couple bolts. It does have a nice feature of tilting down to allow use of the trunk while bikes are on it, though.
Hi,
That looks very nice and quite a great deal. I notice your Ike has a rear fender. My million dollar question: it looks like you use a strap over the fender. Does that protect from any fender damage?
Thanks!!

Hi,
That looks very nice and quite a great deal. I notice your Ike has a rear fender. My million dollar question: it looks like you use a strap over the fender. Does that protect from any fender damage?
Thanks!!
I have read your first post. You live in southern Ontario, subconsciously there is no will to spend more than $200 on a rack despite the objections that are to follow. When presented with multiple buying options you often freeze up. Ok, done being Freud.
1. Those U.S. options are not available, who needs the hassle about border holdups and brokerage fees?
2. If you have 1bike go to royal distributing and buy a motor cycle carrier for $150.
3. If you have more than 1 bike go to Princess Auto and buy a cargo carrier and bolt some frame to it for wheels and a bar to tie stuff to.

Buy tie downs.

You will want anti rattle devices. If you have a 1 1/4 hitch you will probably need an adapter to 2 inch.
Princess Auto just ran out of their cargo carriers on sale. $70 was a sweet deal.

Forget about Rack Attack, they will sell a guy a rack twice the value of the bike if they can. Sport racks rust out, thhhhpt! I bet a welding guy could fix up that $99 sport rack at Costco to hold 200lbs and do so for $100. Wont take a fat tire.

Go ugly, guys like us cant get good and beautiful. Good is what we go for.

And here is my 2nd Gazelle. I moved the wheel retainer down one notch. It works better that way holding the bike tighter.
I will still use a strap on the front wheel to reduce wobble.
1up forgot to mail me one fender cushion so until they mail it to me I am using a pool noodle which as mentioned by somebody else, works great,
One problem with the Equip D is that to fold it when not in use you have to remove 4 screws. Easy enough to do as seen in the pics, but the method on the Quick Rack and Super Duty, with a blue lever to fold the rack is easier.
When not in use. just store it back in its box.
1up is a great rack for e-bikes with metal fenders.

Attachments

• IMG_3226.jpg
    IMG_3226.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3225a.jpg
    IMG_3225a.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3225(1).jpg
    IMG_3225(1).jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_3223.jpg
    IMG_3223.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_3221.jpg
    IMG_3221.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
My 1up (Super Duty double) rack arrived pretty quickly, within 2 weeks of ordering - might have even been less, but was traveling out of state, so just now had time to pull it out.
General impressions are good so far.
I did buy a bunch of accessories, preferring to 'do it now.'

The wheel locks are a bit $ at around $20 each, but as we do travel, even when stopping for lunch or dinner, any added protection is welcome, and they just slot into the rack holes, fit tightly, and are quick to pop in and remove, so I don't regret buying 4 of them. (When we overnight, the bikes are in the room with us).

Whomever said pool noodle for the fender protector is spot on - it's either a pool noodle or thick pipe insulation with a roll of velcro on it.
Pass on the fender protector if you can get a piece of 3/4" pipe insulation or a pool noodle and are really trying to save a couple of dollars. Regardless it works fine on my wife's Gazelle rear fender.
Likewise, their velcro straps are fine, but pretty much the same thing I bought a dozen for $10 on Amazon vs $4 each.

The Rack Stash IMO is worth the $60, although with a bit of creativity, a drill and a welder, I'm sure one could be knocked out from a cut-down receiver hitch. Sometimes it's worth a few $ to gain the time back, though - it's simple, comes with a few lag bolts, and lets you 'mount' the rack for storage on a wall.

As the rack comes, looks like it can go to ~3" tires before needing their spacer kit. I need to go measure exactly, but no problem with my Johnny Watt 27.5x2.8" tires on my Luna X2.

I did buy the 'wheel stop' kit ($50 each), thinking I might use it for long trips, especially for the Gazelle with the rear fender for some added security. I haven't played with or installed it as of yet.

The rack is front/back solid, but does have some lateral rotational movement - I guess I was expecting the ball and security screw to help act as anti-rattle/rotation.
They do give you 2 'security wrenches' which are allen keys with the center drilled out (like Torx security bits, but larger) - initially I wished they had also drilled the long end, but using the wrench normally (wider radius turning it) doesn't interfere/hit the rack, so it's fine.

I'll have to get some miles on it - some minor concerns on the 'roundness' of the detents the red lever locks to, but overall it seems solid, secure, etc. it folds up or out pretty quickly, and is pretty quick loading/unloading, even with the added wheel locks. With the pair of bikes on it, it seems like it could be a few inches longer overall, as I haven't quite gotten them to offset so there is zero interference - close but not quite as my X2's GX shifter is resting on the Gazelle's seat slightly, while there's not all that much room to move either left or right before the center of a wheel is at the edge. Going to give it another round or two for loading positions and see if I can't get each bike fully clear of the other.

On our vehicle at least (Mazda3), we can pretty much put the hitch fully into the receiver, and the bikes are held a bit tighter/closer in vs the Swagman Club eBike we had previously.
Overall I'm giving it a thumbs up, but want to get some more travel time on it yet.

1UpLoaded-web.jpeg

We have a 2022 Vado 4.0 and a Como 3.5. We travel with the bikes between Ct and Me often using a Saris Superclamp hd also purchased this year. The rack is super-light and works great even on the fendered bikes (we use sponge strips to protect back fenders, front fenders do not interfere. We also use a Formosa cover (with net) and remove the batteries for travel. We protect the battery cavities with contractor garbage bags and tape.
However, the bike separation is a hair too little and we do need to remove the kick stands on both bikes to avoid interference with the clamps (takes me about 10 minutes per bike to do it super-careful to avoid compromising electrical wires). The derailleur interferes with the clamp when mounted on the in-facing side, so the bikes travel with the kick stand sides facing each other (stands removed).
Our travel vehicle is either a 2017 Ram 1500 Laramie or a 2019 Subaru Outback 3.5 Limited.

1Up Super Duty here. No problem with fender - using their fender roller. Bike is Specialized Vado 5.0.

Attachments

• 7C587C2A-9A9B-4025-9E5F-64E56D1C286B.jpeg
    7C587C2A-9A9B-4025-9E5F-64E56D1C286B.jpeg
    651.8 KB · Views: 200
1Up Super Duty here. No problem with fender - using their fender roller. Bike is Specialized Vado 5.0.
Thanks! I bought the Quik Rack single. Used to carry my Trek Allant 7 for approx. 75 minute drive from bike shop to home. Mostly highway driving. I used part of a pool noodle (too cheap to buy that cushion from 1UP) and it worked perfectly. I moved that small support rod to a lower position so that the noodle cushion rested against the tire, just below the fender. I also used a strap to secure the rear wheel to the 1UP bar…just being very careful, as I was not fully sure the rear wheel would not slip out of the rack frame. I imagine that is over kill but just for peace of mind. Bike was fine for entire drive. Very impressive rack.

Your Vado 5 looks awesome. Cannot get here in BC unless one is willing to wait about a year. Same for Trek and other high end ebikes.

Thanks! I bought the Quik Rack single. Used to carry my Trek Allant 7 for approx. 75 minute drive from bike shop to home. Mostly highway driving. I used part of a pool noodle (too cheap to buy that cushion from 1UP) and it worked perfectly. I moved that small support rod to a lower position so that the noodle cushion rested against the tire, just below the fender. I also used a strap to secure the rear wheel to the 1UP bar…just being very careful, as I was not fully sure the rear wheel would not slip out of the rack frame. I imagine that is over kill but just for peace of mind. Bike was fine for entire drive. Very impressive rack.

Your Vado 5 looks awesome. Cannot get here in BC unless one is willing to wait about a year. Same for Trek and other high end ebikes.
Thanks - 1 year is a really long time to wait. Can you order directly from Specialized? That's what I did as LBS didn't have any. Had it delivered to the LBS for them to assemble. I was checking Specialized web site every day for about a month before one in my size showed up.

Thanks - 1 year is a really long time to wait. Can you order directly from Specialized? That's what I did as LBS didn't have any. Had it delivered to the LBS for them to assemble. I was checking Specialized web site every day for about a month before one in my size showed up.
The Specialized owned bike shops seem to have Specialized ebikes in stock to test ride. Not so the independent bike shops which advertise as Specialized dealers.

The Specialized owned bike shops seem to have Specialized ebikes in stock to test ride. Not so the independent bike shops which advertise as Specialized dealers.
Thanks. Very frustrating that too many ebikes are not readily available to test ride at bike shops. Tired of hearing the same ol’ story about shortage of components, etc. Spending $5000.00 plus for an ebike without test riding it does not sound logical.
I certainly think it is a huge risk to buy an ebike, or any bike, on line without ever trying it. I know, returns are likely possible, but what a hassle!
Does anyone know about any serious concerns regarding belt drive versus chain? I know they are significantly more expensive, but I keep reading how low maintenance, quiet, and durable they are.

Also, the Zen Samurai ebikes look very impressive. Bosch gen 4 speed motor as well as other top quality components. They are assembled in Halifax. Once again, no shops remotely close to me where I could try them. Look forward to opinions regarding that bike make as well as comments about belt drive (usually gates).
Internal gear hubs as well. I read where a top end Zen Samurai is about $8000. Heck, I need to win the lottery! lol.
Thanks!

Thanks. Very frustrating that too many ebikes are not readily available to test ride at bike shops. Tired of hearing the same ol’ story about shortage of components, etc. Spending $5000.00 plus for an ebike without test riding it does not sound logical.
I certainly think it is a huge risk to buy an ebike, or any bike, on line without ever trying it. I know, returns are likely possible, but what a hassle!
Does anyone know about any serious concerns regarding belt drive versus chain? I know they are significantly more expensive, but I keep reading how low maintenance, quiet, and durable they are.

Also, the Zen Samurai ebikes look very impressive. Bosch gen 4 speed motor as well as other top quality components. They are assembled in Halifax. Once again, no shops remotely close to me where I could try them. Look forward to opinions regarding that bike make as well as comments about belt drive (usually gates).
Internal gear hubs as well. I read where a top end Zen Samurai is about $8000. Heck, I need to win the lottery! lol.
Thanks!
My wife has Como 3.5 igh and I have Vado 4.0 with derailleur so I have been able to sample the belt drive via her bike. The low-maintenance aspect of the igh is real, and I appreciate it every time I oil my chain, but I prefer the riding characteristics of my bike. Today’s gear change mechanics are precise, crisp and immediate (remember how it used to be?) while the igh changes feel sluggish. It is also necessary to stop pedaling during a change and the internals of the hub gears absorb power that that detracts from feel on those steeper hills. On the Specialized range of motors, if you want the igh, better to go for a stronger motor than would suffice on a standard drive. My wife would have been better served with a Como 4.0 igh, for example. When loading bikes on the rack, the extra weight (around 2lb?) adds to the pain a little also.

My wife has Como 3.5 igh and I have Vado 4.0 with derailleur so I have been able to sample the belt drive via her bike. The low-maintenance aspect of the igh is real, and I appreciate it every time I oil my chain, but I prefer the riding characteristics of my bike. Today’s gear change mechanics are precise, crisp and immediate (remember how it used to be?) while the igh changes feel sluggish. It is also necessary to stop pedaling during a change and the internals of the hub gears absorb power that that detracts from feel on those steeper hills. On the Specialized range of motors, if you want the igh, better to go for a stronger motor than would suffice on a standard drive. My wife would have been better served with a Como 4.0 igh, for example. When loading bikes on the rack, the extra weight (around 2lb?) adds to the pain a little also.
Thanks for your insights! I was considering the Vado 5, which has a 90 nm motor. But, rather expensive at $8000. Canadian. Hill climbing ability is critical for me. Ebikes here are limited to 32 kph or 20 mph. However, that Zen ebike (assembled in Halifax) has a Bosch speed motor, generation 4, limited or capped at 28 mph or 45 kph, which sure appeals to me.

Thanks for your insights! I was considering the Vado 5, which has a 90 nm motor. But, rather expensive at $8000. Canadian. Hill climbing ability is critical for me. Ebikes here are limited to 32 kph or 20 mph. However, that Zen ebike (assembled in Halifax) has a Bosch speed motor, generation 4, limited or capped at 28 mph or 45 kph, which sure appeals to me.
My wife’s Como 3.5 seems underpowered at 50 nm, even for her, especially with the igh. My Vado 4.0 (70 nm, US$4.0k) is fine for me, even on steep hills. The Vado 5.0 (90 nm) seemed like overkill at US$ 5.0k with all the gizmos added. The zen platform looks interesting. Are you able to test ride or is this outfit purely online?

Back