Ebike rack

Silvercat

Hi,
Appreciate feedback regarding an ebike car rack. So many pros and cons amongst the so-called ‘name’ brands. Thule Easy Fold, Kuat, etc. I have read where racks that secure the bike by the frame risk tarnishing the bike’s paint finish. That racks that secure via the top of the wheels/tires are better. But, bike’s like the Trek Allant 7 have fenders that could be damaged by that wheel secured method.
I also saw a Sportrack (made by Thule) at my local Costco today. But, rated at a 90 pound max bike weight for 2 bikes. I was told by a Rack Attack salesman today that although made by Thule, that cheaper ($200.00) 2 bike platform rack at Costco is the low end of Thule’s product line. Also, any ebike over 45 pounds will void the warranty of that Costco product, according to that Rack Attack employee. In other words, one cannot consider one bike less than 90 pounds on that rack. That employee also mentioned the cheaper Sportrack racks rust pre-maturely.

Perhaps a soft cloth under the rack support piece would protect the bike’s paint re that Thule Easy Fold?

Obviously, security of bike being carried is most important along with protection of bike’s paint.

I look forward to thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!!

Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE HR1500. Holds two ebikes, 80lbs. ea. Has frame clamps that hold bikes and they each lock. Also has a hitch lock and comes with 8ft cable and lock. 4 locks total all keyed the same.

I have found the KAC (Kick Ass Carriers) rack to be a good one. Price is reasonable, and on my Rialta RV it carries 2 bikes (only one an ebike) without wobble, even over unimproved (i.e. rough gravel) roads.

I have a Thule Easy Fold. The part that grips the bikes frame is pretty soft and grippy. My bike is kind of a flat black and I can see where the rack grips it, maybe slightly scuffed but I’m also sure it would buff out if I was so inclined. I’m not sure how far I’ve traveled with the bikes on the rack but more than 2000 miles.

The most important consideration is to buy a carrier. Many good options, but your steed just needs to get to the trail! Post haste! (Kuat is best!)

I am happy with my Easyfold. Used it for more than two years and hundreds and hundreds of miles.

Hi,
Appreciate feedback regarding an ebike car rack. So many pros and cons amongst the so-called ‘name’ brands. Thule Easy Fold, Kuat, etc. I have read where racks that secure the bike by the frame risk tarnishing the bike’s paint finish. That racks that secure via the top of the wheels/tires are better. But, bike’s like the Trek Allant 7 have fenders that could be damaged by that wheel secured method.
I also saw a Sportrack (made by Thule) at my local Costco today. But, rated at a 90 pound max bike weight for 2 bikes. I was told by a Rack Attack salesman today that although made by Thule, that cheaper ($200.00) 2 bike platform rack at Costco is the low end of Thule’s product line. Also, any ebike over 45 pounds will void the warranty of that Costco product, according to that Rack Attack employee. In other words, one cannot consider one bike less than 90 pounds on that rack. That employee also mentioned the cheaper Sportrack racks rust pre-maturely.

Perhaps a soft cloth under the rack support piece would protect the bike’s paint re that Thule Easy Fold?

Obviously, security of bike being carried is most important along with protection of bike’s paint.

I look forward to thoughts and recommendations.

Thanks!!
Very happy with 1 UP racks.

Here is the one I have coming, you can also get this same carrying rack in alum,
and is also in a 2 bike version if needed.
I went with steel that way I can change anything that needs to be changed,
as I have a welder.

Here is a photo of the Wart Hog loaded on the carrier and just started to unstrap it, I used 4 1200lbs ratchet straps, 2 with MC soft straps around the seat post and 2 "No Hook", 4' long Ratchet straps, one for each wheel in the carrier.
The Wart hog road over 220+ miles on rough 4x4 roads, with NO problems.
HTH's

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations…most appreciated.
That 1UP rack looks very good and it appears that would work very well for a Trek Allant 7 with fenders. I do not want to remove the fenders nor do I want to have a clamp dent them. Seems the 1UP tire support ‘clamp’ attaches in front of the tire fenders.
I will look into whether shipping to BC, Canada is possible. Huge bonus that 1UP is made in the USA. I certainly do not want to support or buy any Chinese made crap.
Thanks again!!

I have the 1Up with the fender guard and use it with my Gazelle which has fenders. Never had an issue . Also, if you're close to the border have it shipped to the US and pick it up. Shipping is much cheaper and you'd avoid the horrendous brokerage fee that the courier charges.

Attachments

• IMG_3647.JPG
    IMG_3647.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 247
I have the 1Up with the fender guard and use it with my Gazelle which has fenders. Never had an issue . Also, if you're close to the border have it shipped to the US and pick it up. Shipping is much cheaper and you'd avoid the horrendous brokerage fee that the courier charges.
Hi,
Thanks! What about duty/taxes at the border on that 1Up rack?
I am seriously considering the Quick Rack Single or the Eqiup-D Single.
Thanks!!

Hi,
Thanks! What about duty/taxes at the border on that 1Up rack?
I am seriously considering the Quick Rack Single or the Eqiup-D Single.
Thanks!!
No duty on made in USA items, part of NAFTA. Whether you have to pay the taxes depends on the person letting you through at the border, sometimes they make you pay sometimes they don't. If it's shipped to Canada the taxes are automatically added to the brokerage fees. I think I paid around 100.00 over the shipping charges to UPS. I purchased mine during the Covid border closures so had to ship to Canada but certainly wouldn't if I didn't have to.

If you use the fender guard there is no problem using this rack with fenders. BTW you can also make a fender guard from a pool noodle..........

No duty on made in USA items, part of NAFTA. Whether you have to pay the taxes depends on the person letting you through at the border, sometimes they make you pay sometimes they don't. If it's shipped to Canada the taxes are automatically added to the brokerage fees. I think I paid around 100.00 over the shipping charges to UPS. I purchased mine during the Covid border closures so had to ship to Canada but certainly wouldn't if I didn't have to.

If you use the fender guard there is no problem using this rack with fenders. BTW you can also make a fender guard from a pool noodle..........
Thank you…most appreciated! 1UP also sells a fender guard. I talked to 1UP earlier and was told that the clamp could fit just below the fender on the back wheel…as long as the angle is above the wheel axle, even though that might only be a few inches above…might need to adjust the 1UP mechanism.

I will look into all the logistics, esp re health protocols (some on line form requires completion re prior to returning to Canada). Hopefully, these very annoying restrictions will all be lifted soon!
Thanks again!

Hi,
Are the Allant fenders an issue? Or does the 1UP attach in front of the fenders?
Thanks!
No issue so far. I do use the fender cushion they sell. You can also use velcro around the rear tire if you drive on bumpy roads.

No issue so far. I do use the fender cushion they sell. You can also use velcro around the rear tire if you drive on bumpy roads.
Hi,
Thanks! Does that fender cushion prevent the fender from being dented? It looks like the fender would be pushed into the tire, thereby creating a possible dent in the fender.

The Thule Classic rack only has a bar against the front wheel and a wheel strap for the rear wheel. Seems a toss up re what way to go. One advantage with that Thule rack (roughly $650.00 Canadian) is that I can get that one immediately at a local bike shop. Although about $200.00 more, the Thule has another advantage regarding any warranty issues. Much easier to deal with a local bike shop than a company across the border in Wisconsin.
So, unless someone is aware of serious issues with that Thule T2 Classic (2 bike carrier), that might be my best choice.
Thanks again!

Back