Ebike Marketing Strategy

byunbee

I was watching the first impressions video of the "Babymaker" on Indiegogo and it got me thinking, "why is everyone so impressed with this ebike when there a so many other ebikes that are much better in comparison?"

The conclusion I reached is that FLX is targeting people that have never ridden an ebike before in these videos. I know that the first time I rode one, it put a big smile on my face and I too was extremely impressed. They have some good insightful marketing folks at FLX. I think other ebike manufacturers should also take note of this marketing strategy while they can. It's not a misrepresentation by any means, but understanding the market and taking advantage of the current consumer base's lack of experience (or ignorance) regarding ebikes. Sometime in the future a lot more people will have experienced ebikes and won't be so easily impressed.

My impression is that the new ebike manufacturers that are active on EBR like @Ravi Kempaiah and @pushkar seem to be primarily focused on ebike enthusiasts which is great since they are both producing quality products that raise the bar and all of us on EBR appreciate their care and thoughtful approach. 👏 🤩🥰 I sincerely would like to see both succeed in a major way and maintain business longevity, so hopefully they start putting more effort into marketing strategy and get their brands out there to the masses. 🌐

Please note that these are just opinions and personal speculations, and not meant to offend anyone.

I think you are correct... FLX is targeting the demographic that is hyperactive on social media.

The target group is easily influenced by hype and are not apt to comparison shop or visit EBR.

To date, their strategy is working... they recently raised over $10M on their Indiegogo campaign with 9 hours to go!

Maybe the lesson learned is for mainstream brands to consider using more social media... if you can't beat them join them ;)

Last edited:
The conclusion I reached is that FLX is targeting people that have never ridden an ebike before in these videos.
Catering for those dumber ones. Yutube is a powerful tool, a lot of viewers have a short attention span, not able to think on their own. If you have never ridden an ebike before - do you research, this is $2K, not $2. A fool and his money... - you know how the saying goes :)

It doesn't hurt that the bike checks the hipster boxes with the fixie look, complete with bold colors and bullhorn bars.

It's just pretty garbage. I will never understand why so many customers feel that an ebike must look like a traditional bike to be aesthetically appealling. Once they get the spandexters out of the design centers maybe some ebikes that take some hints from the motorcycle industry will emerge where they don't hide the battery they make it look nice like Klever and Bultaco did. Far to many cyclists are designing ebikes for old school cyclists where everything was about weight - they have a death grip on the weight paradigm.

I thought the first generation batteries from Bosch and Yamaha looked better than the latest in tube batteries and clearly they were much more likely to be cloned or re-manufacturable which prompted them to throw another generation of tooling into the mix. While consumers would benefit greatly from "open-source" battery designs the bike manufacturers would loose a cash cow. Just ask the bean counters and they'll mumble something about them wanting to contribute.

Catering for those dumber ones. Yutube is a powerful tool, a lot of viewers have a short attention span, not able to think on their own. If you have never ridden an ebike before - do you research, this is $2K, not $2. A fool and his money... - you know how the saying goes :)
We were all "dumb" in the beginning. It takes time and experience to develop an appreciation for the better built bikes. But in the meantime, the hype will sell.

Well since you brought it up, I don't understand a lot about Ebike marketing????
Here's my dictionary

1. pre-sale...
Not in stock, either waiting for a shipment from China or collecting money to pay for a shipment from China.
adj. You wait.

2. 50% off MSRP.
It's not a sale if it's always on sale. Just ask Mike Lindell of MyPillow!

3. Most powerful bike on the market!
There are only a half dozen or so legit drive makers. Yamaha, Brosche, Bosch, Shimano, Bafang, etc.
After that you are paying for common bike components.

There are also very common frames most made overseas. Ebike companies take the same frame and put a motor on it and various component levels and brand it as theirs.
adj. shop wisely

4. Range
Sure you can get 1000 mile range on an Ebike.
Leave your PAS at 0!
adj. PETAL more!

Last edited:
We were all "dumb" in the beginning. It takes time and experience to develop an appreciation for the better built bikes. But in the meantime, the hype will sell.
The problem - or a benefit for a seller - is that those buying into something like this video, will likely remain dumb for a long time (inexperienced, ignorant, whatever) - because they have all the prerequisites for this. They don't want to learn, compare, research.

Like a friend of mine said once, commercials often look stupid not because the are made by somebody stupid - they are made for somebody stupid :)

Hey, I am not complaining :)
If they do well in supporting those 9000+ customers, they will grow. Supporting those huge number of customers with their wheels, electronics, battery issues, display issues etc will demand a huge effort.
If not, those 9000 customers will turn towards some other company having learned their lesson and we can help them :)

Hey, I am not complaining :)
If they do well in supporting those 9000+ customers, they will grow. Supporting those huge number of customers with their wheels, electronics, battery issues, display issues etc will demand a huge effort.
If not, those 9000 customers will turn towards some other company having learned their lesson and we can help them :)
Yes, but you need to prepare for that by getting your brand's name out there if you want to be on their short list. :)

It just looks like flx has put a huge amount of money into Facebook and Youtube ads. I'm only on one side of their demographic: I look at e-bike stuff regularly online, but I'm way older than their market. I can't
tell much about the quality of the design. They seem to be targeting city riding or multi-use trails: no gears, smallish battery, belt drive, lightweight, look like a conventional bike to minimize theft. They're clearly doing a good job of marketing and assuming they deliver what they seem to be promising, it's good for the e-bike world in general. For whatever reason, this forum seems to be more the AARP wing of the e-bike world. It hasn't surprised me that there's been very little interest in "babymaking" e-bikes here from baby boomers.

For whatever reason, this forum seems to be more the AARP wing of the e-bike world. It hasn't surprised me that there's been very little interest in "babymaking" e-bikes here from baby boomers.
So true. 😆 But they have a wealth of experience making this forum a quality resource. 🙂

In that particular case, it's mostly because they chose to only keep the super enthusiasts in the video. There's a good chance some people were impressed, some weren't and they also used parts from their other promotion videos.
They do have a pretty good web marketing though.

I have mixed feelings about the product itself to be honest so i'll wait for more official reviews like one to form my opinion https://electricbikereview.com/flx/baby-maker/, but, to be honest it's not their first bike so it could be good.

And then there's also this

In that particular case, it's mostly because they chose to only keep the super enthusiasts in the video.

There's a good chance some people were impressed, some weren't and they also used parts from their other promotion videos.
They do have a pretty good web marketing though.

I have mixed feelings about the product itself to be honest so i'll wait for more official reviews like one to form my opinion https://electricbikereview.com/flx/baby-maker/, but, to be honest it's not their first bike so it could be good.

And then there's also this

I had to look up Ms. Vanessa Follador... another social media influencer.

Skip to 13:50 on this video if you want to see a real review of the BM.

Back