Ebike for wife - Momentum Lafree E+?

safetyfast

Region
USA
Looking for first eBikes for me and wife. Decided we would prefer mid-drive. Riding will be leisure primarily. The Lafree is currently on sale for $2,100. Wife likes it but wasn't sure she would like the rear mounted battery. Will that really make much of a difference? I realize it may make some minor balance difference, but seems to me that it makes the battery easily accessible. Are there any similar options that we should consider? The Gazelle T9 seems similar but is quite a bit more expensive and really much more than I want to spend.

What led you to decide on a mid-drive? Was it test riding multiple bikes, or reading and found out that mid-drives are better at hills and you live in a hilly area?

What led you to decide on a mid-drive? Was it test riding multiple bikes, or reading and found out that mid-drives are better at hills and you live in a hilly area?
We do live in a hilly area and I’ve done a lot of reading of the reviews on here. My wife has ridden friends’ bikes and liked the mid drive much better.

Useful info for others to chime in for recommendations. Are you looking for a step through frame? Worried about distance? Inseams? The more info given will garner better answers.

Useful info for others to chime in for recommendations. Are you looking for a step through frame? Worried about distance? Inseams? The more info given will garner better answers.
Doesn’t have to be step through. She prefers the more upright riding position. She’s 5’ 5” and inseam about 29”

REI has Cannondale Adventure Neo 4 on sale for $2500. My wife bought one last week. Stripped down, relatively light weight (48#). Bosch Active Line mid-drive. She had a Turbo Como 3.0 before, too big and heavy. She says her new bike feels a lot more like her old analog bike she remembers. She didn't like the rear hub motor bike (Trek) she tried even though it was a lot lighter, said it felt like it was taking off by itself.

The Adventure Neo 4's smaller battery and less powerful motor are still plenty adequate.

I test drove the LaFree and liked it except for when I tried riding it up a very steep grassy bank alongside the test track. The lack of weight up front made it feel unsafe in that (admittedly rare) circumstance. Anyone who stays on actual roads or multiuse paths would never encounter this, though.

In the end I bought a hub drive with torque sensor (Ride1Up LMTD) for about 1/3 less cost (I added a riser to the handlebar for more upright riding), and I've been pretty happy with it. But the LaFree is a good ebike. And $2100 sounds really good; when I was shopping the LBS had it for $3k IIRC.

A new bike/Ebike shop opened up in our small town. They sell the mid-drive Trek bikes. They are about $1000 more then the typical rear hub bike. I have a Magnum from 2018. Live in a hilly area and a little pedal and the throttle has not stopped me, and I'm way over 65. I did ask the owner about this question. Since the motor turns the chain, when you change to a lower gear, you will get more torque ? Like going in 1st gear in a car for those hills. He could not say.
It also depends on what the person likes. Mine is a 26" wheels. I also bought a HeyBike for my son's house to chase around my grandson on one of those small electric cars. He rides in a huge area on the property and he was wearing me out. Now, with this folding bike, I can follow him. I did fine it not as powerful as my Magnum when I took it out a few time at my hilly home. It's fine for chasing my grandson (3 1/2 now) on basically flat area.

Back