Ebike for towing

Colleen

Hi, I would like to purchase a couple ebikes for daughter and son in law. They also have an 80 lb dog they like to bring everywhere. Is there an ebike recommendation for towing? They currently have the trailer, but no bikes. We have a bike bath that connects us to them, app 15 miles away. Thanks

Probably the bigger issue is the trailer, not the bike. That and how the trailer attaches to the bike.

A lot of bike trailers have pretty substantial weight limits and also recommended speed limits that are very low. So that is all stuff to watch out for. The big factor, again, is how the bike connects to the trailer.

This is something where you probably need to work with a good bike shop to get a decent solution.

They will most likely need to switch out the stock through axel in the rear wheel and get a trailer through axel like ones made by Robert Axel Project. I had to get one for my Specialized Turbo Vado to pull my Burley trailer. The FAQ in the Robert Axel Project website says the weight limit is based on the trailer manufacturer's weight limit. When I was in France I saw a bunch of cargo Ebikes pulling trailers stacked with boxes like a UPS truck, so don't think they need to worry much about the power of the bike.

Hello Colleen. Are you still riding your Stromer? I know you are very familiar with Stromer, it is a great bike, I wouldn't choose that style of bike for pulling a trailer. I wouldn't choose any torque sensing hub drive for towing because of the frame mount torque sensor can have problems from the weight flexing the frame. Consider one of the Bosch mid drive bikes. Most of them will handle a dog trailer. As Mr. Coffee suggests, ask the dealer what they recommend.

with such a heavy dog you need the right trailer too. I had to really strap our dogs in or they bail. even then our big guy got out enough when he saw another dog to flip the trailer.

Hi, I would like to purchase a couple ebikes for daughter and son in law. They also have an 80 lb dog they like to bring everywhere. Is there an ebike recommendation for towing? They currently have the trailer, but no bikes. We have a bike bath that connects us to them, app 15 miles away. Thanks
No make yourself a big cage and it looks like clown show
but you're not alone there is another Saint Bernard Dog Hauler (worshoper) on another popular misnamed forum called i think rear end less globe (sphere)
1695092657491.png

No make yourself a big cage and it looks like clown show
but you're not alone there is another Saint Bernard Dog Hauler (worshoper) on another popular misnamed forum called i think rear end less globe (sphere)
View attachment 162900
Typical one bike wonder. That fella has helped more noobs than youve demeaned. One hell of a large group.

Back