Ebike display failed (KT-LCD1)

anoNY

I have a cheap kit from dillenger (below) that includes a KT-LCD1 display unit:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

This control panel has worked for about 9 months, but now it does not turn on properly. If I hit the on button, it gives me gibberish on the screen and then turns off. If I hold the on button down, the gibberish stays on the screen but never changes. It has not been in the rain or anything like that, it worked fine in the morning (commute to work) but then started doing this after sitting in my office all day.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of failure? Do I just need an entirely new control panel?

Also, this is a 5-wire panel with the connector seen in the picture (which is from another vendor). If I buy a cheaper 5-wire conector (http://www.ebay.com), can I just splice in the connector and use that?

Thanks!

KIT URL: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Hi . Im currently having similar fault on my kt lcd1 except not in gibberish. Push on does turn screen on but as soon take finger off the button it shuts down. did you have to buy a new display or somehow fix it.Thanks.

Attachments

• 20190228_135125.jpg
    20190228_135125.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 751
I don't know if there is a way to repair displays. Mine failed after 2700 miles, and the manufacturer (different bike brand) replaced it. The failure was in the USB port.

Can the maker provide you with (if it is under warranty) or sell you a replacement? Do they sell only kits, or can you buy parts, too?

LCD1's are about $35 shipped on aliexpress.com. They are generic, but some manufacturers have put special firmware into their models so that they can work with the manufacturers's controller to deliver different power levels or activate other features. SO you probably want to get it from the people that made your ebike.

As to what's wrong, it's probably the LCD1 circuitry. To power up, KT displays just need battery and ground. If tjere is a controller fault, the display still comes up, and it will then indicate a controller error. If the diplay can't stay on, I think it's the display's problem.

Most likely, moisture got inside. You could try taking it off the bike and doing whatever people do to dry it out. Blow it out with air. Keep it in a warm dry spot. Throw it in a baggie with silica gel or uncooked rice. That will take care of wet spots. It won't help if the wetness corroded components.

LCD1's are about $35 shipped on aliexpress.com. They are generic, but some manufacturers have put special firmware into their models so that they can work with the manufacturers's controller to deliver different power levels or activate other features. SO you probably want to get it from the people that made your ebike.

As to what's wrong, it's probably the LCD1 circuitry. To power up, KT displays just need battery and ground. If tjere is a controller fault, the display still comes up, and it will then indicate a controller error. If the diplay can't stay on, I think it's the display's problem.

Most likely, moisture got inside. You could try taking it off the bike and doing whatever people do to dry it out. Blow it out with air. Keep it in a warm dry spot. Throw it in a baggie with silica gel or uncooked rice. That will take care of wet spots. It won't help if the wetness corroded components.[/QUOT

Back