E on a train.

Treetwister77

So I am thinking about traveling on a train with my E-bike. It seems it would be a pretty logical way to see the world. Does anyone have experience doing this?

I wonder about this too, esp. b/c the handlebars are 760-790mm , not sure if that’s an easy fit for our larger size transportation modes.

So I am thinking about traveling on a train with my E-bike. It seems it would be a pretty logical way to see the world. Does anyone have experience doing this?
I see you’re from IL. Amtrak has all the info at their site on what is permitted on which train routes.

You don’t mention which bike you are planning to take with you — this would be helpful. But the short answer is that you should be able to use roll-on or box the bike.

Some Europeans can chime in to get you started on the world.

It looks like Amtrak's bike policy has a 50 lb weight limit. Some e-bikes might meet that limit but some might not (also not clear if removing the battery would make a difference). I've taken my regular bike (not an e-bike) on the Amtrak here in California. The train cars with bike racks (trainside carry-on) usually have a bicycle emblem by the doors where you board.

I found this on Amtrak's website: Bring Your Bicycle Onboard

Just turn them.

I'm not sure how easy that would be. Amtrak's bike racks are the type where you stand the bike up and mount the front tire on a hook. I don't know if all Amtrak cars are like this, but the ones I've ridden have a moveable bar with a velcro tie for supporting your bike. I don't think it's possible to turn the wheel.

Hi @Treetwister77, great question! I haven't actually commuted with a bike by train, but we did a staged review at a train station long ago that really got me thinking. I liked the bike a lot, not sure it's still for sale? It was called the VeloMini Plus and is sold almost exclusively by Doug at ELV Motors out of Santa Clara California :D all of the other comments here are great. I personally look for lightweight ebikes, but comfort can become a big question if the streets are bad and you're riding a long way or have a sensitive back and neck like me. I like that his VeloMini Plus had some suspension parts to smooth things out... the small wheels have that higher attack angle and can send impact right through to your body.

Some Europeans can chime in to get you started on the world.
If anyone is interested in "train and bike in Europe", I can say something. In general, European railways are bike-friendly, especially on commuter routes. Believe it or not but the easiest way to transport your bike around Warsaw Poland is to hop on a local commuter train, to the clearly marked compartment where bike-hangers are awaiting and you do not pay anything for your bike!

@PaD, how about Stockholm?

Stocholm, Sweden.
On commuter trains you’re allowed to bring your bicycle. There are however some restrictions.
Stockholm Central Station: No bicycles, ever. You have to board or exit with your bike at one stop south or north of Stockholm Central.
Monday to Friday : No bicycles in rush hours i.e. 06.00 - 09.00 and 15.00-18.00

Going north you can go the city of Uppsala. It’s about 75km ( ≈ 46 miles). 1 hour.
Going south you can go to a smaller community called Gnesta ( done that a few times) or to Nynäshamn where you can go by ferry to the island of Gotland. About 70km.

Intercity trains in general don’t allow bicycles. I can not take my bike and go by train to e.g Gothenburg or Malmö.
However there are regional trains in some parts of Sweden that allow bicycles.

Back