e-MTB - Flats or Clipped In?

MikeBCO

My 1st e-MTB arrives tomorrow. I am planning to set her up with flats. I have been riding MTB's clipped in for 20+ years. I gave flats a good persevering try and dropped it. I prefer to commitment factor of being clipped in, and I feel its more efficient for climbing. I know the flats/clipped debate rages on in MTB circles and most people love/have depending on which one they have chosen. My thinking is that riding an e-MTB is going to lead to a somewhat different riding style which will take some practice to become proficient in. So I figure change to flats while I'm at the bottom of the learning curve. Anyone else have some thoughts and/or experience on this one?

I ride flats, but with a half toe clip to keep my foot positioned and to stop getting smacked in the shins. It works well for me. I don't think you need to be nearly as efficient on an emtb. Also, when I fall, I don't want to be attached to that heavy 50+ lb bike!

I have been from OEM flat to clipless and then back to flat again. Clipless is good for extra burst of power and you work more muscle groups. However, it depends if your heart is also strong enough to supply needed circulation to all those muscle groups at the same time.

In most instances, the pedaling activity using flat pedal is more than enough of the heart's capacity to pump the needed circulation. If you are using clipped (mostly called clipless) you use more muscle groups which is helpful in short burst of extra power, but that extra power can only be sustained if the heart is strong enough and has the stamina.

Besides, short bursts of extra pedaling power is not really that important anymore on an ebike since you can just hit the turbo button.

I prefer flats. I use the Crank Brothers 5050-2. Wide pedal, adjustable studs. I didn't start MTB riding until I was 64. Not nearly enough confidence to clip in!

The last ~4 years flats and 5.10 shoes.

Currently

Flat pedals: Xpedo Spry

Shoes: 5.10 MTB (Five Ten)

I get more grip and more power, pedal stroke with this combination of the shoes and pedals, but not a full rotation, obviously. For power nothing beats SPD and cleats. It's a good trade off for comfort while riding and walking/hiking the trail when needed or at destinations.

Flats

Attachments

• 4904A2EB-4B92-46B7-88CC-FB82AD723E5A.jpeg
    4904A2EB-4B92-46B7-88CC-FB82AD723E5A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 600
I have size 14 shoe and changed out to larger wide platform flats: BC Bicycle Company

I had a bit of a learning curve and a few "accidents" along the way. I once flipped my Radrover, landed on the handlebars, and broke 3 out of 4 bolts securing my handlebar to the stem. Might have been much worst if I was clipped in. I took me about a +6 months of riding to keep from ending up on my backside testing out the ebike and my capabilities.

New to ebikes too. Anytime I've ever ridden an MTB it's always had clip-ins. That was years upon years of riding. Watching all these Youtube videos about eMTBs I noticed alot of people were using flats. So I thought I'd give them a shot...

What I liked about them was I could position my foot on the peddle anywhere I wanted whether it was comfort or for better balance. Downhill (really minor all-mountain type downhill), pretty good. I was a bit nervous that my feet my come off. But no issues. On the flats no big difference.

Where I wasn't a fan was on steep technical climbs. I've gotten used to "pulling up" on my non-powerstroke leg (I don't know what else to call it :) ). I don't get that power with the flats. So all the power is made by one leg...

Also, I've always somewhat relied on my clip-ins to "hop" over obstacles, unload the rear-end or do some turns where I rely on the clip-ins to help turn the bike. I know there are guys that can do hops without them, but I'm not as skilled...

I also wear my MTB shoes with the clip in it on the flat peddles as I like the more solid/firm foot bed my MTB shoes offer. So my current plan it so give the flats a 30 day trial run and see at that time what I think about them.

Have always ridden clipless (about 30 years total and about 20 years mtb) and like the positive pedal engagement they give. Even in near wipeouts I feel it gives me more stability to “pedal through” the challenge. I found this to be one of the biggest differences w ebikes in that using my power (and the bike’s) gets me through obstacles that would have wrecked me before. I’ve always used SPDs but have changed to Crankbrothers in the last 6 months. SPD is technically more sophisticated but not nearly as rugged (broke two sets of pedals in less than 6 months). Crankbrothers has two release angles so if you’re not sure between clipless and platforms you can choose the easiest release (like ski bindings) and it’s almost like riding platforms. Hope this helps. P.S. My son rides platforms and loves them! :)

Flats 100%. But IMO its comes down to rider preference, though in a crash/bail (especially on a rock & tree filled trail), I rather be in flats, since I know I'm not still attached to the bike while falling.

So,,, I broke my flats. Raceface pedals on a slight hill without power I was standing up and snapped the chromoly axel. Nice gouge in my calf and I wasn't happy.

I asked for a stout replacement and got the Shimano Saint downhill pedals. Expensive but they feel GREAT! I also have to say even though they are larger pedals I do not have shin strikes anymore. If you need new pedals check out those spatulas!.

Saint PD-M828

I also tried the bontrager flatline shoes. They are pretty good for support and stiff flats. The rubber or whatever sticks well I would say stiffer than 510's. Careful - they run small and not so great for wide-footed folks.

Flats for me.

I often go for BMX pedals... plastic... as thin a profile as possible... preferably with plastic pins too, because who wears shin guards in the trail these days?

I'm using Nukeproof at the moment (nice and wide) but I've had to tone down the stock metal pins (pretty scary). Changed them to shorter slightly rounded stainless steel pins - a bit of bling with less chance of infection, ha!

Attachments

• Stock Pins.jpg
    Stock Pins.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 763
  • Stainless Pins.jpg
    Stainless Pins.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 791
I have used pedal straps (fitted into the toe) that came stock on one of my bikes. Liked them so much, I never changed them out. They have a sure fit and help with getting power to the bike with both legs without any slippage out of the harness. They are a combination of nylon straps with a plastic harness.
I am also hesitant with clipless as mentioned above due to still being attached to the bike during a fall. I also use plain flats which work for me. I like to use a hiking shoe that helps grip the pedal and prevents additional slippage.

LOL-Yeah, go with thongs as long as you do not do a toe stub. There is a member here that uses wide pedal bands that wrap around so they can ride barefoot. I think I would like to try that if I lived in a tropical environment as well.

Years ago we were riding over Gunsight Pass in CB,CO in a gang. Early days of clipless, I actually had a set and some shoes gratis of some banner hanging at a pre-Olympic MTB event in Helen, GA but hadn't done more than try on the shoes and was sticking with my toe clips on flats. The art of mtb'ing with toe straps is another thing altogether.

Anyway we were climbing up the old mining road and one particular corner fairly high up had water coming down over it, not very deep but as it was snowmelt it was pretty cold. Only one member of the group had clipless aboard that day and it was definitely a topic of conversation during the ride up. But at that corner I was on the inside and clipless guy was outside of me and just like that he went down hard on his left side narrowly missing me and getting pretty wet. That alone kept me off clipless for at least 2 years but I finally adopted them and rode Eggbeaters for years and using Mallets on my townie.

I have, as my prior post pic suggests, adopted a more devil may care attitude about foot wear and mostly just wear what's on my feet at the time which in the summer are JC treads and in the winter a pair of these rubber clogs that have a very substantial and grippy sole, not at all like the soft Crocks that trended awhile ago.

Sometimes if it warrants it I'll wear my XtraTuf's but only by using flat pedals can this be facilitated. With e assist I find that it really doesn't matter as much, if at all, if you are able to clip in. Just have a compatible pedal surface to shoe sole meaning you should chose your pedals to best work with your favorite shoes perhaps.

But going back to the GP story the worst that can happen with clipless is you do an Arty Johnson. I for one don't like doing that as I have had the experience before a few times and as I age I feel like it is best to not do so again. In conclusion I think that especially if you haven't ridden a bike for awhile just enjoy riding the bike with clothing and footwear you are comfortable with. Instead while whiling along the way riding think about pedaling circles which is a real good way to increase your pedaling efficiency overall.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 796
I roll clipless because there is less peddle strike especially with the fact that a e is wider but that only works if you get the right kind of clipless peddles. There are advantages and disadvantages weather you use flats or clipless. As far a shoes you can get cleated shoes you can walk around in easily not so much a factor these days. As far as road riding I say clipless is better for sure unless you just can't get use to it and some people can't

Back