E-Lux Malibu GT review (compared to a RadRunner 1).

sc00ter

Region
USA
City
Norfolk, VA
Yeah, not the best comparison but here goes:
The Malibu GT will hit 28mph in Power mode. 'Runner was still faster off the line.
I think the max range being totally lazy (mostly throttle) is around 25 miles. Same as my old 'Runner.
The front end feels really light on the Malibu, plus the long rear end does not make it very nimble. Miss the handling of the 'Runner.
Fenders have cheap mounts and always rattle. Would love to upgrade them one day. 'Runner fenders were much nicer.
Single wall rims with shallow hooks making tire mounting tricky. 'Runner rims were better quality.
Both ebikes have cheap unsealed front hubs but 'Runner has additional dirt seals.
Out of both drives the 'Runner felt more refined. Bafang is smoother and more responsive than than my Dapu.
I love my vibrant red on my Malibu. Hated the matte color on my 'Runner. I like fun colors.
Both have slower 2 amp chargers that I really don't mind.
Malibu headlight is okay, tail light stinks. 'Runner lights were better, even with the OEM 'Runner 1 light installed.
Both batteries worked great in their mounting locations. Easy to remove and install.
Malibu does not have a dedicated OFF at the battery like my 'Runner did. Someone can power the Malibu up if battery is installed.
Malibu has cheap ZOOM forks that actually work pretty good but I'm on mostly on surface streets.
Hated the stock Malibu Vee Rubber tires. Didn't mind the 'Runner tires. Both had weak flat protection.
Both bikes lived up to their respective price points. 'Runner is a better bargain.
If I give my Malibu GT a score from 1 to 10, 10 being the best, I'd give it a 5.
My 'Runner would have gotten a weak 9.
I sold my 'Runner and sometimes miss it but I really wanted a Class 3 ebike.
If my Malibu GT got stolen or totaled I wouldn't replace it with another Malibu GT.
Overall the Malibu is fun to ride, I won't deny it that. It just lacks a certain something that makes you truly love it.
Hope this review is helpful. If I overlooked something just ask.

Last edited:
20211002_111344.jpg

Yes, I finally got a second battery charger to leave at work! Free up some trunk space. Outside of the dumb fender mounting system the ebike is just under 300 miles doing just fine.

After some Dremel work and a bit of bending I think I have the front fender figured out and fixed! Still need to mount my Etsy mud flap that I ordered. I ran over a piece of wood and it got stuck under the back side of my front fender, pulling out the support bracket on one side causing the fender to jam my front wheel and the support bracket to go into the spokes. Part of the problem was the front fender was snug, not tight by any means. I went over the whole ebike now and think I have everything set-up correctly. Sorry for the silly updates but I encourage everyone to go over their bikes for proper set-up. And a side note. Why did DoST just release the DROP CVT after I purchased my E-Lux? Belt drive, throttle, more compact, step-thru, option for a 2nd battery and a front rack.......

Last edited:
I installed the front etsy leather mud flap today. No instructions mean just wing it and see what works. I've always hated Chicago bolts (the hardware supplied for mounting said leather mud flaps) because they remind me of the plastic fasteners on motorcycle panels. So after drilling the holes in my steel fenders I thread locked the Chicago bolts because no matter what you do they always bottom out, and the flap is not 100% tight. Even with the supplied washers the flap still moves a little bit. I don't recall what vendor I got them from but they fit so so. I just hope they control road spray a bit better. Not bothering with the rear mud flap.

Last edited:
300 mile update time. Both rotors are warped. They chirp and click constantly. The RadRunner rotors were still true at 2200 miles when I sold it. Goes to show quality. The word "commute" should not be used in the description of this ebike. More like bump around with friends on the weekend. I fell for the flashy red paint job and class 3 speed, but wow, the quality does not live up to the $3000 price on any level. Next time I will not make a compromise. I still have my heart set on a Tern GSD or HSD. My wife told me to take the old stock HSD at our local REI out for a spin but I don't want to. It'll just rub salt in the wound. This E-Lux makes me not want to commute to work, and I didn't buy it to bump around with friends on the weekend.

great write ups, thanks for taking the time

sorry the bike is not working out great for what you wanted

I'm going to stop by the shop I purchased the E-Lux from and look into doing a consignment, if they do such things. Curious to see what kind of depreciation it will suffer. Anyone want to wager a guess? I'll post up all the info and numbers. I'm not ashamed to show my losses on a purchase I really don't like.
Currently just under 400 miles.
Still minty fresh.
Extra battery charger.
Better Continental tires.
Keeping my accessories I added. Mirrors, SHAD trunk and extra headlight/tail light.

Wonder if REI does trade-ins? That would make life extra easy since I'm srill interested in the new old stock GSD they have.

Pedego took a dollar off for every mile when I consigned my City Commuter. I was actually happy with the sale price.

I actually purchased my RadRunner 1 back. Missed the little tank. So I'm gonna see exactly how much the E-Lux will fetch on consignment thru the shop I purchased it from. Will post all the details up when I get it there. Oh, and a friend helped me with the brakes and rotors on the E-Lux, no more drag or ticking! Bicycle hydraulic brakes are WAY trickier to self service than motorcycle brakes!

So my E-Lux Malibu GT sold last week. The shop was surprised it was on consignment as long as it was. He was asking $2600, settled on $2500 and I got a check for $2300. We were both happy at the selling price.

Back