E-bikes in Australia without speed limiters

QJam

Hi there,

I've been looking at buying an a electric bike to get me around the mine I work at, however one stumbling block is the speed limiter on all ebikes in Australia to 25km/h (15mi/h). I originally looked at ebikes so I could get around a bit quicker while still keeping fit, but I can easily keep a bike at 25km/h so I'm finding it hard to justify the extra expense. The only benefits I can see are quicker acceleration and easier on the couple of hills.

Are there any ebikes in Australia without the speed limiter or with a switch I can turn off (I definitely can't justify a Stealth Bomber, as cool as they are!)?

I was originally looking at the BH (Easy Motion) EVO Cross or 27.5 - these both have 350W motor that is limited to 250W - If I swapped the controller out for the US controller, would this raise the speed limiter to 45km/h (28mi/h)?

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi there,

I've been looking at buying an a electric bike to get me around the mine I work at, however one stumbling block is the speed limiter on all ebikes in Australia to 25km/h (15mi/h). I originally looked at ebikes so I could get around a bit quicker while still keeping fit, but I can easily keep a bike at 25km/h so I'm finding it hard to justify the extra expense. The only benefits I can see are quicker acceleration and easier on the couple of hills.

Are there any ebikes in Australia without the speed limiter or with a switch I can turn off (I definitely can't justify a Stealth Bomber, as cool as they are!)?

I was originally looking at the BH (Easy Motion) EVO Cross or 27.5 - these both have 350W motor that is limited to 250W - If I swapped the controller out for the US controller, would this raise the speed limiter to 45km/h (28mi/h)?

Have you looked at AFT? Awesome mid drive system; http://www.aft-ebike.com/

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't think about getting a kit. Are they difficult to attach to a bike? Would it be something a bike shop could do?

Thanks, I didn't think about getting a kit. Are they difficult to attach to a bike? Would it be something a bike shop could do?
Sure, some may be willing and even experienced - you could ask the AFT guys themselves if they can recommend any in your area.

Hi there,

These guys in Australia have done quite a bit of tweaking to get past the speed limiter on Velectrix and Bosch E-bikes. Contact them to see if they can direct you to someone who can help with that. I know of few stores who unlock the Bosch system using a dongle for their own customers.

http://www.ebikereviews.com.au/electric-bike-reviews/velectrix-ascent-electric-mountain-bike-review/

I've recently done to eBay conversions and one bike was much heavier than the other. The first one being a Diamondback Recoil 29er and the second being a Cannondale Trail 6 29er(which I just finished yesterday).
Both bikes easily got above 30 miles per hour, averaging about 36-38mph (hitting 49mph at one point). I myself way only 160 lbs. and that might have something to do with it.
The kit that I have been using is the Bafang 8fun 750watt mid-drive with a 48v 13ah lithium-ion down tube style battery.
My distributor sent me the unlock code and I've been able to set it up to 9 pedal assist modes, when it originally came set to max out at 3 levels.
I know things are a little different where you're currently located, but I'm sure you can get the same outcome I have! Good luck! Also if you have the chance to do it yourself, try to! It's a great feeling knowing you put it together and it is very validating when people constantly stop you asking you about the bike. If I can help please let me know. Best of luck! Jason

I have a diamondback recoil comp and was thinking of making it an Ebike. I was wondering if you had any advice after your experience with the ba-far mid drive system. Would you install the same system or go with another kit? Do the rear wheel kits not fit on this bike? I know this is old Post, but hoping your still around.

Raynman, a full suspension bike is a challenge for a kit conversion because there is usually no place on the frame to mount a battery. In your case, it has to go on top, or underneath. Maybe the newer styles will fit better. I haven't followed them.

By the way, I thought the police in some Australian cities issue tickets to non-conforming ebikes.

Back