E-bike World Tour!

A.w.e.s.o.m.e

Hi there!

My name is Angelos, and this is my first post here! :)
It's nice to see that electric bicycles are so much more popular outside Greece.
[Oh, Greece (Athens) is where I come from]

I would like to make known I am planning an e-bike world tour that will last 1 year. The plan is to visit 33 countries in 4 continents, riding for more than 20.000km. I will also be using some train/bus etc. as well. You can find details here: www.awesomeride.cc

At the time, I am looking for some sponsorship (at least for the bicycle), as I think this trip would be a great chance for an e-bike company to support.

The main problem I am struggling with these last weeks (months actually) is how to deal with the batteries. Lithium-ion batteries of more than 300Wh are considered dangerous goods (class 9) and there are increasingly strict regulations in regard to their shippment. Unfortunately, I cannot take my Bosch 400Wh batteries on plane neither as a checked-in luggage, nor as a carry on.

I am in contact with DHL, UPS, FedEx, TNT and DSV in order to find a way to ship the batteries from one continent to another. For example I will take a flight from Paris, France to Boston, USA.
The thing is that the afforementioned companies usually deal with companies that want to send dangerous goods (i.e. dry ice, chemicals, batteries) and not with individuals. This means there are formalised procedures that they follow - in my case, for example, they cannot answer to me straightforwadly if they offer this kind of service for a shipment from Buenos Aires (Argentina) to Cape Town (North Africa), or from Ethiopia to Hong Kong. I have to send e-mails to local shops that will never answer back.:(

Has anyone here shipped before a Lithium battery of more than 300Wh by air?
How? what was the procedure? The cost? The packaging?
Do you have any other ideas how this can be done?

I am very close to getting a sponsorship for the e-bike but I am asked about the batteries and I do not have a definite answer. If someone could help, it would be really appreciated!

Thanks a lot! :)

P.S. Itinerary below
All_inclusive3.png

I'm not sure if Bosch is a sponsor. You are using the most expensive battery around, and it is hard to substitute Bosch batteries on the Bosch bikes. I'm not sure why you don't want a larger battery anyway, but maybe you are using more than one.

In theory you could ride to France, fly to the US, and simply pick up a different battery when you got here. Whether a US dealer would 'loan' you a battery, I don't know. You could ship batteries to the other places where you would be arriving by air, even if you had to ship the batteries on the ocean.

It's a great plan and the map is astonishing. There has to be a way to do it. Be flexible. I've read the UPS rules for international shipment, and I think it is possible within the context of a very stiff hazardous materials designation. That could cost a lot.

Good luck! I think you can do it.

Hello everybody :)
thanks for the comments and the support!

Hi,
What an amazing trip!
This is probably not good for you, but here it is anyway:

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UT...android-browser&q=ebike+solar+charged+battery

I have thought the solar panels previously but you have to spend a lot to buy some powerful and reliable panels. Plus you need to find a way to connect the spare battery straight to the panels (and not to an inverter), which is a bit complicated.

I'm not sure if Bosch is a sponsor. You are using the most expensive battery around, and it is hard to substitute Bosch batteries on the Bosch bikes. I'm not sure why you don't want a larger battery anyway, but maybe you are using more than one.

In theory you could ride to France, fly to the US, and simply pick up a different battery when you got here. Whether a US dealer would 'loan' you a battery, I don't know. You could ship batteries to the other places where you would be arriving by air, even if you had to ship the batteries on the ocean.

It's a great plan and the map is astonishing. There has to be a way to do it. Be flexible. I've read the UPS rules for international shipment, and I think it is possible within the context of a very stiff hazardous materials designation. That could cost a lot.

Good luck! I think you can do it.

Hi George,
I don’t know if Bosch can be a sponsor.
From Bosch I am asking, mainly, for technical advice and support throughout the year.
I plan to use 2 batteries of 500Wh (the latest of Bosh) and cover approximately 100km (60 miles) per battery/ per charge, on average. I don’t want to get a larger battery/ bicycle by choosing, say, Stromer ST2 (810Wh Battery)], because only Bosch batteries you can find all over the world.

Now, if Bosch would ‘loan’ me batteries on the point of arrival every time, it would clearly be a great solution. But, I don’t think it’s gonna happen, despite I believe the whole project deserves it. To buy new batteries, even for one time, would cost a fortune (one Powerpack 400 battery, now, costs around 650$!)
Shipping the batteries by ocean would demand a lot of days, especially on the transatlantic routes.

But I keep saying to myself “there has to be a way”!
PS. You can check the detailed route here,

Angelos :)

Hello everybody :)
thanks for the comments and the support!

I have thought the solar panels previously but you have to spend a lot to buy some powerful and reliable panels. Plus you need to find a way to connect the spare battery straight to the panels (and not to an inverter), which is a bit complicated.

Hi George,
I don’t know if Bosch can be a sponsor.
From Bosch I am asking, mainly, for technical advice and support throughout the year.
I plan to use 2 batteries of 500Wh (the latest of Bosh) and cover approximately 100km (60 miles) per battery/ per charge, on average. I don’t want to get a larger battery/ bicycle by choosing, say, Stromer ST2 (810Wh Battery)], because only Bosch batteries you can find all over the world.

Now, if Bosch would ‘loan’ me batteries on the point of arrival every time, it would clearly be a great solution. But, I don’t think it’s gonna happen, despite I believe the whole project deserves it. To buy new batteries, even for one time, would cost a fortune (one Powerpack 400 battery, now, costs around 650$!)
Shipping the batteries by ocean would demand a lot of days, especially on the transatlantic routes.

But I keep saying to myself “there has to be a way”!
PS. You can check the detailed route here,

Angelos :)

I know few people who work at Bosch USA.
Message me your email and I'll put you in touch and say some great things about you :)
One of the largest north American trade show is happening next week and I'll try to bring your topic during our meeting.

Have you considered getting certified to package and ship Li-ion batteries? Anyone can do this and its pretty cheap. Check out any of the courier companies. I know Fedex has a course. If you have to go with different batteries, then at least you wont have to find companies along the way that will pack and ship for you.
Also maybe you can try to organize a battery exchange or something..?
I have been speaking to Fedex dangerous goods and they told me that I can ship a battery up to 45 kg as long as it has the paper work and hazmat UN 4 box. I didin't hear about the 300 W limit. Its seems insane considering that Bosch ships batteries all over the world. All these companies do. So there must be a loop hole somewhere.
I was told there is an embargo on Li-ion batteries in Japan. But digging deep so far seems to reveal that there isnt actually an embargo. New IATA regulations are in place but they are apparently mostly for passenger planes.
As far as I understand, as long as the battery is packaged clearly they can transport it relatively safely.

Maybe you should start a Go fund me and have 2 sets of batteries travelling while you are touring? Then they can travel by ship at one end of your tour and you don't have to worry about time as much.

I don't know if any of that he;ps. But think outside the box. That is what I have been learning about these regulations anyway!
Good luck!

Back