E-bike security (Engwe EP-2)

Nesty

Hi All
I am loving my Engwe EP-2, approaching times now, where I might want to lock it up somewhere, naturally I would like to be with it much longer, so what is the best security for one of these?

Some use the folding locks, I like the Abus ones though I heard don't fair well against a grinder. I am looking at the Abus granit x-plus 540, accompanied with their 220mm cable. I am not sure how much of the D shackle will get around one of these frame wise, probably just the frame and nothing else?

What do you do security wise?

Anything can be cut with an angle grinder. A more expensive lock has tougher and thicker steel, making it take longer to cut. The difference in time is measured in a minute or three. The convenience of a folding lock is offset by the fact that a folding lock is defeated with only one cut, while a similarly priced chain or u-lock would require two cuts to defeat.

Anything can be cut with an angle grinder. A more expensive lock has tougher and thicker steel, making it take longer to cut. The difference in time is measured in a minute or three. The convenience of a folding lock is offset by the fact that a folding lock is defeated with only one cut, while a similarly priced chain or u-lock would require two cuts to defeat.

Ok many thanks

Also, the folding locks are vulnerable to a nut splitter attack at a hinge, which seems to be a very effective, quick way to defeat them.

I dont like to leave my bike out of my sight for very long. Earlier this week I needed to pick up an RX at Rite Aid and there was a nice shiny bike rack right in front of the store. However, there was a shaky lookin fella standing in front of the entrance next to the bike rack and he wasnt going away. So instead of chaining up and risking losing my Rockbros pack on the back, I wheeled my bike in the Rite Aid and got my RX. No body said a word...

Thanks for the replies. For my previous MTB I had a Abus D shackle, total beast, never got stolen, but my ebike frame is much thicker, though hoping I should be able to get a D lock over and around some of the frame.

Thanks for the replies. For my previous MTB I had a Abus D shackle, total beast, never got stolen, but my ebike frame is much thicker, though hoping I should be able to get a D lock over and around some of the frame.

A length of heavy gauge chain, 10-12mm might work for use with your lock. Anything that could cut the chain could cut the lock, so no loss of security, but a little more flexibility with lockup options.

A length of heavy gauge chain, 10-12mm might work for use with your lock. Anything that could cut the chain could cut the lock, so no loss of security, but a little more flexibility with lockup options.

If you do that (and it isn't a bad idea) use an old inner tube to wrap the chain so it doesn't ding up your bike.

I use a 4 foot Pewag 10mm chain with my padlock and found some nylon cladding that works well. I trimmed off the crinkly, heat treated ends and dipped them in rubbery tool handle coating from Lowe's so they won't fray and also stay pliable. Looks like the price went up slightly, but it's now only $1.18 a foot with free shipping. A great company to do business with by the way. I think I may zip tie it near each end to keep it from skinning back.

Chain sleeve

I dont like to leave my bike out of my sight for very long. Earlier this week I needed to pick up an RX at Rite Aid and there was a nice shiny bike rack right in front of the store. However, there was a shaky lookin fella standing in front of the entrance next to the bike rack and he wasnt going away. So instead of chaining up and risking losing my Rockbros pack on the back, I wheeled my bike in the Rite Aid and got my RX. No body said a word...
Can you post a pic of how you lock your bike with the Ulock and cable?

Can you post a pic of how you lock your bike with the Ulock and cable?

Only issue is getting close enough to skinny enough pole to secure Ulock to bike..

Attachments

• Lock2.jpg
    Lock2.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 685
  • Lock3.jpg
    Lock3.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 617
  • Lock4.jpg
    Lock4.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 629
I use a kryptonite ulock/cable and kryptonite chain...

Use the ulock for the front wheel/fork, and the cable for the rear wheel and frame to stationary object. Cable for the seat and seatube.

Also have a motion alarm that doubles as a horn/bell. Last safety measure I have is the GPS tracker that is hidden in the tail light.

IMG_2053.JPG
IMG_2051.JPGIMG_2054.JPG

I use a 4 foot Pewag 10mm chain with my padlock and found some nylon cladding that works well. I trimmed off the crinkly, heat treated ends and dipped them in rubbery tool handle coating from Lowe's so they won't fray and also stay pliable. Looks like the price went up slightly, but it's now only $1.18 a foot with free shipping. A great company to do business with by the way. I think I may zip tie it near each end to keep it from skinning back.

Chain sleeve
As draver said, Pewag chains are well reviewed, and probably the best bang-for-buck, especially since you can order the diameter/length you need. Spend the extra on a quality padlock and you should be good. They're also harder to get a "bite" into than a U-lock by a solo grinder thief, as long as there's some slack in it.

I personally have an OnGuard Beast chain/lock, but it's pretty heavy, and pricey if you can't get it on sale. I only use it if I'm going to be out of sight from the bike for more than a few minutes (grocery shopping for example).

Give the number of expensive pedal bikes (meaning, worth more than double the MSRP of my 20" fat folder) locked up with inferior cable or U-locks here in Toronto, I don't worry too much. :)

I've got to reconsider lock options for my new OHM Cruise mid-drive though.

For reference, my 4 foot, 10mm Pewag chain was $48, and the matching Viro 4126 locks were $79 each with 6 ( 3 from each lock) matching keys for two bikes. Add to that an optional black nylon sleeve for the chain at $4 and I am confortable at about $130 for my basic security sytstem.

Back