E-Bike...Price Range...Climbing...Higher...

cryptacle

Region
USA
Every person on the EBR forums who has preached TESTING a bike before buying is 100% correct--thank you!

I had a chance to ride the Yamaha Cross Core today, which on "paper," seems to check all of the boxes. And while a lovely bike for the price, I found myself frustrated when the motor cut out at 20 mph.

So now we know it's a Class 3 for me.

This appears to have opened up the need for a new budget: a quick jump from staying under $3k all-in to staying under $4k all-in.

Class 3
Mid-drive
LBS (I like to support local; I'm also rubbish with tools)
Not miserable to ride with no assist
Looks like a standard bike
Want the bike in-hand by April

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Bulls Urban Eco 10 vs. the Gazelle Medeo T10+ (loved the ride, but screams "e-bike").

Any thoughts on those two bikes or other contenders? I feel like now that I've expanded my price range, I need to look at some more options.

Thanks!

Every person on the EBR forums who has preached TESTING a bike before buying is 100% correct--thank you!

I had a chance to ride the Yamaha Cross Core today, which on "paper," seems to check all of the boxes. And while a lovely bike for the price, I found myself frustrated when the motor cut out at 20 mph.

This appears to have opened up the need for a new budget: a quick jump from staying under $3k all-in to staying under $4k all-in.

Class 3
Mid-drive

Right now, I'm trying to decide between the Bulls Urban Eco 10 vs. the Gazelle Medeo T10+ (loved the ride, but screams "e-bike").

Any thoughts on those two bikes or other contenders? I feel like now that I've expanded my price range, I need to look at some more options.

Thanks!
All good until you said April. That's going to mean it's already been ordered or is already sitting at your LBS for many bikes.

Why does it matter that it screams e-bike? When people are traveling at 28 mph and pedaling at 50 rpm - that screams e-bike. Both look like excellent choices.
VERY good point. :) Maybe I simply don't love the look of the Gazelle...but I also see the other side...who cares once you're riding it!

I guess that worries me if I void the warranty...but maybe I'm being a baby about it.
I haven't done it myself b/c of warranty and I don't need the speed, but there is a lot more choice in class 1 than in class 3 in LBS bikes, so if you can't find a 3 you like enough to spend your money on, it's something to check into.

I guess that worries me if I void the warranty...but maybe I'm being a baby about it.
I wouldn’t even think about that but it has nothing to do with being a baby. Its all about ride time and not screwing that up.

Just a thought, based on my experience and what I've read. I think a LOT of people make the mistake of buying a class 3 bike, see how fast it goes a couple of times to verify the advertising claims - and realize how much battery it uses when doing that. From then on, a 20mph cap wouldn't bother them at all.

It maybe my age 70, but I really don't like the high speeds. My reactions are not what they used to be. On a straight downhill, I may hit 24 mph before applying the breaks. I very seldom ride a road with a speed limit over 25 mph, mostly gravel and trails.

Just my riding style.

It maybe my age 70, but I really don't like the high speeds. My reactions are not what they used to be. On a straight downhill, I may hit 24 mph before applying the breaks. I very seldom ride a road with a speed limit over 25 mph, mostly gravel and trails.

Just my riding style.
Not just your riding style. My bike has no suspension and I am grabbing brakes at 25 mph on most roads. Really nice roads I might get to 30 mph downhill, but that's probably beyond the safe operating speed for most bikes.
I see a lot of DTC bikes advertising 28 mph or more that don't have the brakes, suspension, or even the geometry for that speed, and I don't wear body armor...

Just a thought, based on my experience and what I've read. I think a LOT of people make the mistake of buying a class 3 bike, see how fast it goes a couple of times to verify the advertising claims - and realize how much battery it uses when doing that. From then on, a 20mph cap wouldn't bother them at all.
But they are still lugging around the extra weight of a motor, battery, suspension, etc. built for high speeds. May not matter to some, but I think lighter is better.

Class 3
Mid-drive

Thanks!
Your story parallels mine. I started with a $1500 budget and Internet bikes. But then I got concerned about service as I’m not capable of more than fixing a flat and cleaning the chain. So my budget grew to 2K. Then I got into middrive vs hub motor. Add some more money.

Then weight became the issue. I realized I wouldn’t be able to lift a 50 pound plus bike into the back of my car so I’d need a hitch rack which meant I needed a hitch so that added another couple of grand to the costs.

At that point Specialized came out with the Turbo Vado SL. It had what I needed. Class 3 for safer speed on the street, light weigh, still getting exercise. All that for only $2000 more than my initial budget. Fortunately, I could afford that but...

I feel your confusion.

Your story parallels mine. I started with a $1500 budget and Internet bikes. But then I got concerned about service as I’m not capable of more than fixing a flat and cleaning the chain. So my budget grew to 2K. Then I got into middrive vs hub motor. Add some more money.

Then weight became the issue. I realized I wouldn’t be able to lift a 50 pound plus bike into the back of my car so I’d need a hitch rack which meant I needed a hitch so that added another couple of grand to the costs.

At that point Specialized came out with the Turbo Vado SL. It had what I needed. Class 3 for safer speed on the street, light weigh, still getting exercise. All that for only $2000 more than my initial budget. Fortunately, I could afford that but...

I feel your confusion.
Thanks for sharing and for relating! :) Now if only I could find a Specialized Turbo Vado in stock somewhere...

This is likely true. I have a hub bike that caps out at a 'practical' 25mph (40kph), and it is just right for the city. I can do 30mph with it with the limits unlocked and some decent effort on my end, which is great for short sections in traffic, but that really is too fast on any mixed use trail or pedestrian area. I find the 20mph is the sweet spot for any kind of leisure ride in or around the city. Maximizes battery range too.

Now unlike many, I DO use my other mid-drives full 35mph capacity on my 24+km commute to work because it's a long ride and I need to keep it to 30 minutes or so to be practical. I easily burn the 19ah battery down to 30% in one return trip. Riding fully with traffic and no bike lane, the mid-drive lets me out-accelerate most cars or certainly commercial traffic from a stop light, and I can hit the speed limit on any downtown road. It rides more like a small electric motorcycle in that environment. But the number of people riding in that environment along with me is quite small. Most are happy to stick to the safer separated bike lanes and multi-use trails and add a little more time to their commute. I would too if my commute was significantly shorter.

So I would definitely encourage folks to think hard about their actual speed needs, and not get seduced by the high performance claims if they do not have a true use case in mind.

Class 3
Mid-drive

Thanks!
You could put a delimiter in the Yamaha ..just sayin... https://www.bikespeed.de/RS_en.html

Back