e-bike for vancouver-hills & children

sophia

Hi,

I am a first time e-biker looking for some advices about what to purchase.

I am a 5'6'' female living in the hilly vancouver and is looking for a bike that suits these needs:

1. able to carry a child with a max weight of 40 lb on the rear attached child carrier or a thule bike trailer for kids.
2. easy to ride on steep hills of 10~17% slope in any speed
3. lightweight to carry up the stairs and to pedal manually in case that the battery is dead
4. one way commute is about 15 miles (50% are hills), prefer to finish it within 40 min
5. removable battery for charging
6. can buy in vancouver, bc, canada
7. less than $2000 usd
8. can withstand constant rain

Really appreciate any feedback or help.
Thanks

Last edited:
Motorino would be the place to go IMO. They are a well established local company, most models are available around your pricepoint, and they must have the most diverse selection of ebikes/LEVs I have ever seen by one company... Take a look at their products! There is bound to be a bike or scooter that catches your eye, as they seem to have something for everyone...

https://motorino.ca/products

Hi,

I am a 5'6'' female living in the hilly vancouver and is looking for a bike that suits these needs:

1. able to carry a child with a max weight of 40 lb on the rear attached child carrier or a thule bike trailer for kids.
3. lightweight to carry up the stairs and to pedal manually in case that the battery is dead
4. one way commute is about 15 miles (50% are hills), prefer to finish it within 40 min
7. less than $2000 usd

Thanks
You might want to consider Vancouver's own Surface604 Rook or Colt, as it would meet everything on your list except for #4, as it isn't really lightweight. However, it may be hard to find a high quality eBike in that price range that is light and will withstand the rain. In my experience most eBikes in that price range make a number of compromises that shorten the longevity of the bike.

I believe Court has a review, and I have one on our site as well. We are over on Vancouver Island, so if you are able to make it over here, you are welcome to come and try it out!

Kelly

The Rook/Colt will not disapoint!

Attachments

• IMG_4764.JPG
    IMG_4764.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 2,308
It isn't lightweight, the battery doesn't easily detach, and it doesn't offer pedal assist only throttle with a cruise control function, but another suggestion would be the Juiced ODK U500 that can be serviced in Vancouver by Grin - their website says they don't have the standard battery version new in stock so you might consider a refurbished one from Juiced - get the 500 not the 350 for just over a grand and use the money you save on the accessories listed on this one year owner review on Reddit from a parent in Seattle. Here's a photo of one towing a child trailer, and here's Court's review.

Last edited:
Hi,

7. less than $2000 usd

Thanks

I would just get this bike in a small (15 inch frame or 17 inch) and add a child carrier
(I'm also 5' 6" and have e-bikes in both frame sizes)

https://lunacycle.com/luna-alite-hard-tail/

The 13.5 ah battery will have enough juice to carry you round trip without recharging assuming you do some pedaling.

With the gears low, the BBS02 (or better BBSHD) motor will climb very steep hills and will have no problems towing.

The BBSHD motor will climb all day without any problems

I have 3 bikes with BBS02 kits and haven't had any problems in the rain.

To do 15 miles in 40 minutes, you have to average 22 mph. Just from my experience, the BBS02 can average 25 mph with no problems even with a 40 lb tow. The BBSHD will have no problems going 30+ mph with light pedaling.

If your going to throttle a lot on the hills, the BBSHD is the safer bet (still around $1750).

I also have e-bikes with geared hub motors and while they can do a reasonably good job climbing hills, the BBS mid-drives do a better job and quieter.

If you get the 52v battery, make sure to get the 52v charger.

Last edited:
Back