E-Bike for recovery. But which one?

Thanks every one. I will most definitely try as many bikes as I can. But as of right now the snows flying. So will likely have wait for spring.
Wait a minute ..... I'm not suppose to be riding my bike in a snow storm a 3:15 am there I go breaking the rules again👮‍♂️. Let us know how things work out and remmember a body in motion tends to stay in motion!

Wait a minute ..... I'm not suppose to be riding my bike in a snow storm a 3:15 am there I go breaking the rules again👮‍♂️. Let us know how things work out and remmember a body in motion tends to stay in motion!

Lol why not. I don’t mind taking mine out. Just don’t think a shop would allow a demo in snow.

Hell I taken the motorcycles out before in the snow. That’s a lot of fun with the right bike :)

You are correct I have never ridden an E Bike. My thoughts on not wanting a throttle were that having the throttle from my understanding limits where you can take the bike as it classes the bike differently. Otherwise I am fine with it. Reasoning for riding bicycles is purely exercise and fun. My commute is too far and too early. I use cars or my motorcycles for that purpose.

The shifter complaint would be an annoyance to me but not a deal breaker and I’m sure down road I can replace With something else.

In Canada the Rad rover retails for $1999. The Yukon 750 is $1899. So close enuff but the Yukon does have the bigger battery and better brakes.

Those other bikes you mentioned. Have they been around for a bit or just one offs? I see soooooo many e bikes out there I just want something reputable that’s going be there next year lol.

As it stands I am leaning towards the Volt Bike options for cost and features. Company’s been around for 5 years at least and seems to be reputable.
I see DJ Bikes (https://dj-ebikes.com) have been a round a few year they are basic in Canada (Calgary,AB) and I own their MTB and am very happy with it. Still the best bang from my Buck (which was US), but Rad Power upped their game a bit to compete. Ride1Up is much newer, and I have no experience with them. Volt bikes definitely looks good from a customer service perspective, and I would be happy to buy from them.

DJ Bikes have Canadian legal bikes (I think 500W is the limit there), but their 750W with controller tweak is the real deal. Their Bike starts at $1400 Canadian I believe.

As for the legality of the throttle most people just ignore silly laws that might (or might not) have good intensions but are actually counter productive and contrary to their initiative which in this case is generally stated as safety. A throttle can make your bike much safe for many reasons, one being starting which is why more places are allowing bicycles to perform a rolling stop at intersections.

Good luck, I think you will really love an e-bike.

I rode my first fat tire bike in Florida, Non e bike but my first fat bike ride. I loved it ! I thought all sorts of things about fat bikes before riding one. I tried it in the rain, on the sand on the boardwalk and on the roads.
I came home and bought a mid drive fat bike. I am 58 and out of shape ( did 4 miles on non e bike and was tired) I enjoy the fat tire e bike and it has opened up riding in many places i never would have tried a mountain e bike. Snow, soft sand and railroad tracks ( large gravel) I think the e bike removes the big clunky feeling of a fat tire bike and extends my rides. Maybe you can rent one and try?

I rode my first fat tire bike in Florida, Non e bike but my first fat bike ride. I loved it ! I thought all sorts of things about fat bikes before riding one. I tried it in the rain, on the sand on the boardwalk and on the roads.
I came home and bought a mid drive fat bike. I am 58 and out of shape ( did 4 miles on non e bike and was tired) I enjoy the fat tire e bike and it has opened up riding in many places i never would have tried a mountain e bike. Snow, soft sand and railroad tracks ( large gravel) I think the e bike removes the big clunky feeling of a fat tire bike and extends my rides. Maybe you can rent one and try?
Nice! I'm still new to a fat tire bike, but I can say it sure feels more solid and planted even on the pavement. Of course it's a different bike than my MTB so not a complete Apple-to-Apples comparison, but it is super solid and well controlled even at high speeds where my MTB lets you know you are on a bike, the fat-tire (4") bike makes me feel in complete control. my other bike is 26" x 1.95".

I think a 2.5" - 3" tire is a good basic tire for an e-bike, were 2" and narrower seems less than ideal for the heavy e-bikes and their multi-terrain capabilities.

I ride in a lot of sand in southern NJ so the fat tire is night and day. You almost feel like you are riding on a paved road with the fat tires. No loss of control and the e bike makes you so you do not have to pedal harder in the sand ( you don't notice because it helps you) . On the road it has been very stable and i hit 35 mph on occasion. If i commuted to work on it i would probably get a fat tire bike with low profiles

Nice! I'm still new to a fat tire bike, but I can say it sure feels more solid and planted even on the pavement. Of course it's a different bike than my MTB so not a complete Apple-to-Apples comparison, but it is super solid and well controlled even at high speeds where my MTB lets you know you are on a bike, the fat-tire (4") bike makes me feel in complete control. my other bike is 26" x 1.95".

I think a 2.5" - 3" tire is a good basic tire for an e-bike, were 2" and narrower seems less than ideal for the heavy e-bikes and their multi-terrain capabilities.
I agree with your statement with tire sizes. I also was introduced to 2.8" size eMTB tires on my current E-bike. They really perform much better than I ever imagined. From the get go, I was focused on a narrower width, however, once I rode on the 2.8s, I was hooked. Better handling, grip, stability, etc.
Best to always try before you buy, which usually is a game changer IMHO!

What was your CL link pointing to? Now it is Page not found.

Here is the link to Lenny's website... they have some great deals.

Here is the link to Lenny's website... they have some great deals.
It looks Lenny's update their Closeout and Crazy Deal pages often and at times there are no special offers or the Closeout page is not available.

I agree with your statement with tire sizes. I also was introduced to 2.8" size eMTB tires on my current E-bike. They really perform much better than I ever imagined. From the get go, I was focused on a narrower width, however, once I rode on the 2.8s, I was hooked. Better handling, grip, stability, etc.
Best to always try before you buy, which usually is a game changer IMHO!
Thanks for the feedback, glad the tires are working so well for you. I'm on my second e-bike (first is still loved), and next year i hope too buy my third and last e-bike for quite a while. Just learning what I want it to have based on my other bikes and trying others. Currently I'm looking to outfit my dream bike with 2.8-3" tires. The other components are quite similar to the FLX Blade 2.0 that they are producing for 2020, but I'm not very clear on the geometry yet or if I need full suspension. Learning a lot, and having a lot of fun doing it.

Thanks for the feedback, glad the tires are working so well for you. I'm on my second e-bike (first is still loved), and next year i hope too buy my third and last e-bike for quite a while. Just learning what I want it to have based on my other bikes and trying others. Currently I'm looking to outfit my dream bike with 2.8-3" tires. The other components are quite similar to the FLX Blade 2.0 that they are producing for 2020, but I'm not very clear on the geometry yet or if I need full suspension. Learning a lot, and having a lot of fun doing it.
I have (and continue) the same course of action as you have. We have 3 in the family now as well. The tech keeps getting better and better and it is one of the best spaces I have been in in recent years. I am always looking for upgrades on every level. Not sure what my next purchase will be, however, the Shimano E8000 motor system ticks all the boxes including DI2 upgradeable components made by them. Happy shopping and good luck!

Hey all thanks for all the advice. I think for the time being I going hold off on the e bike as much as I’d like one the cost is prohibitive on something I realistically don’t know if it will work for me. Been working harder and harder on the stationary bike. And think I can get my current bikes to work for me. And have sent in my hybrid bike for a good service and tire change.

I have set my self a goal to complete the Cambridge to Paris rail trail on my hybrid bike and the puslinch twin ponds mountain bike trail by the end of summer.

Done both these rides prior to my accident and want to get there again. If I can manage that and drop some fat/weight then maybe next year I can treat myself to a Nice e bike in a slightly higher price range.

Back