E-bike DIY kit explodes and burns down home

There were several house burns from charging poorly made batteries for ebikes, scooters, remote controlled toys, lap top computers, hover boards, etc...

Purchasing batteries from unknown sources overseas is a very risky proposition since there is no accountability if something goes bad (such as your house getting burned down).

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/06/04/highlands-ranch-lithium-battery-explosion/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rd-fire-damages-homes-pennsylvania/790594001/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...tery-blamed-langley-bc-laurica-farm-1.4549111

https://bgr.com/2018/03/26/laptop-battery-fire-recall/

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...idiary-zte-usa-over-house-fire-300687280.html

https://www.courthousenews.com/vape-battery-explosion-lawsuits-on-the-rise/

Last edited:
I think we need to stop blaming ebikes and ecigarettes for fires that are caused by irresponsible use of lithium ion batteries. It is the battery that has the potential to cause damage by fire. The application of the power unit is irrelevant. The same batteries are used in laptops, cell phones, flashlights, headphones, cordless power tools etc and misuse of batteries in those items also cause fires.

In Trail Cruiser's links, the victims appear to be using their toy truck, hoverboard,, and phones normally. It appears that the guy in the first article was doing a DIY battery, and he may have been using RC lipo batteries, which come in soft pouches. Otherwise, I think it would take a while for the the 18650 cells to ignite.

In any case, lithium batteries do malfunction. Be careful with them. Mine have always been charged outside.

In that vein, I have a an extended blue Stromer ST1 battery pack that is not working that I'll be selling for parts - who wants to experiment?
lol ;)

I am a vaper. Just about every week the brain dead media reports someone is hurt by an “ecig” blowing up. The FACT is 90% of the time the batteries are loose in their pocket, and short out on keys...etc. The other 10% is pinheads using unregulated devices when they have no idea what the are doing.

I have to assume the same is true with ebikes (they both use high amp draw 18650 batteries. BTW so do Tesla automobiles.) The way our culture blames the Inanimate object (guns, ecigs, ebikes, sugar, and a host of other things), is pathetic. I used to marvel at the silly warnings on the packaging of so many products, but I came to realize that there are a lot of people out there that simply don’t have common sense.

I am a vaper. Just about every week the brain dead media reports someone is hurt by an “ecig” blowing up. The FACT is 90% of the time the batteries are loose in their pocket, and short out on keys...etc. The other 10% is pinheads using unregulated devices when they have no idea what the are doing.

I have to assume the same is true with ebikes (they both use high amp draw 18650 batteries. BTW so do Tesla automobiles.) The way our culture blames the Inanimate object (guns, ecigs, ebikes, sugar, and a host of other things), is pathetic. I used to marvel at the silly warnings on the packaging of so many products, but I came to realize that there are a lot of people out there that simply don’t have common sense.

"Only two things are infinite. The Universe and human stupidity. And we're completely sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

Purchasing batteries from unknown sources overseas is a very risky proposition since there is no accountability if something goes bad (such as your house getting burned down).
And so is purchasing batteries from known source overseas, though chances are lower. They are all made overseas and don't hold your breath for several thousands dollars accountability (house repairs cost) of well-known overseas battery suppliers.

And so is using it improperly or carelessly - like in the post #1.

And so is using a battery from wrecked e-car.

And so is charging a battery sitting in a moving car on the seat, plugged into charger - things fly off the seat when you hit the break or turn.

The list is endless, because - as noted - so is human stupidity.

There isn't much to add, take your chances if you feel lucky.

I don't think there's much "luck" involved with any attempt at common sense in use.

Accidents can and do happen on occasion, and there's not much you, myself, or technology is going to do to avoid that.

I don't think there's much "luck" involved with any attempt at common sense in use.

Accidents can and do happen on occasion, and there's not much you, myself, or technology is going to do to avoid that.
There is a lot one can do to minimize the risk.

Unknown Chinese suppliers are to be avoided because of inadequate raw materials and poor quality control.

Educate yourself as much as possible, to understand what you are dealing with. Most people don't know anything about Li battery structure or electricity in general. Li battery is a condensed source of energy that allows for internal short aka elevated self-discharge that could release a lot of energy when you are not charging or using it. It just "happens", seemingly for no reason - it suddenly blows up - but there is always a reason, mechanical damage is one of the most common.

And then there can be an external short.

A short caused by over charging (leading to heat and resulting chain reaction you'll have little control over), and punctures are the 2 big ways to get in trouble. When it comes to punctures, the stuff in that battery WILL start smoking and will very likely catch fire when exposed to oxygen.

A short caused by over charging (leading to heat and resulting chain reaction you'll have little control over), and punctures are the 2 big ways to get in trouble. When it comes to punctures, the stuff in that battery WILL start smoking and will very likely catch fire when exposed to oxygen.

The bms is supposed to prevent that from happening and the charger itself is supposed to have a built in sensor so it stops charging when your battery is full. With those 2 fail safe measures not present in fake products, you have a risk of having a fire.

Last edited:
I have a knockoff Cree type light, which uses 4 lithium cells wrapped in shrinkwrap inside a soft bag that is velcro'd to the bike frame. Well, it fell off one evening and hung by its cord as it got dragged on the pavement. That wore a hole in the bag and even took the corner off one of the cells.

I could see the goop inside, but there was no fire. It even was able to run the light. By the way, no protective circuits in that little pack. It has to rely on the charger not failing, and there must be something in the light. The replacement, I also charge it outside.

BMS will only prevent overheating from overcharging (IF it works as it should).

BMS won't prevent fire caused by mechanical damage. Could be punctures or other damage that you can see and could be something that you don't see from the outside.
Batteries from wrecked e-cars might look fine, and few months later blow up when sitting quietly without charging.
Battery in laptop goes up in smoke on the plane when you throw it in overhead bin.

Worthy of note maybe as well, is that batteries that fit loosely in cases that are rattled around for a few hundred miles have caused some trouble as well. It's possible to have a rack or whatever is carrying the weight of the battery rub right though shrink wrap and the case of one (or more) of the cells. That would be a good way to end a ride on a sour note.

Cases... agreed... Manufacturers treat Li packs and cases as disposable, plastic cases crack with time around the bolts/mounts, the inside content comes loose and rattles.

Back