E bike companies that have gone out on business

Northernboy

Just started looking into e bikes. Live in Ontario Canada and the LBS are limited in e bike choices. So my concern is the longevity of some e bike companies. How can you tell if a certain company is in for the long haul? Many companies seem small and run by the owners/ employee. It is nice to have the owner involved but does this really ensure it's longevity? What would indicate that a particular e bike brand is going to be in business in 10 years?

Do you mean the retailer or the manufacturer? NBDA has an annual award for America's best bike shops, although it's not ebike specific and covers independent shops rather than brand dealer stores. Yamaha began making ebike systems in 1993, Bafang in 2003, Bosch in 2010, other manufacturers include Bionx, Shimano, Brose, Piaggio, and a host of generic Chinese brands like Golden Motor, Dapu, etc. whose motor designs end up on dozens of different brands ebikes. Bafang have form for changing the design of motors without notifying suppliers to give them time to build up a spares inventory so you can't rely on being able to obtain spares in future for their motors so that's a question you should ask a retailer - for how long can they stand behind their product? Do they keep their own parts inventory? I have an older Bafang BBS motor and currently I can still get replacement controllers and gear pinion parts >2 years after they suddenly and without warning changed the production design, but only because I bought it from a reputable ebike retailer with his own parts inventory. Bosch at least responded to owner complaints and made their newer batteries backwards compatible with older models.

The big three brands Trek, Giant, and Specialized are either on their first or second generation ebikes. Schwinn is a brand owned by Pacific Cycles who sold an early lithium battery from Toshiba but withdrew from the ebike market in 2011 and in 2018 is re-entering with a new line of ebikes with new motor and battery suppliers. Specialized have changed their motor supplier for their 2nd gen ebike line and agreed to supply spares/batteries for their 1st gen ebikes until the end of the warranty period plus I think 3 years. Batteries only last a certain number of charge cycles so depending on how frequently you charge you might expect to buy a new battery every few years, it becomes complicated if you have a unique semi-recessed frame mounted battery pack and after the manufacturer no longer supports them you will likely need to have the battery repacked with new cells after they expire. Going DIY makes it easier to keep using a donor bicycle frame that fits you as the wires are not internally routed and battery is not a custom frame design so you can cut off the old kit and replace the battery/motor/controller and bicycle components as and when needed with generic off the shelf parts.

Last edited:
The business model I would be most concerned about is if they are a reseller of standard Chinese bikes. A reseller can get started today with just an order on Alibaba, a Facebook page, and a website. Put a different sticker on it, add a fancy bike name, and call themselves a company. That model is super low investment and can shut down in an instant. Second warning for me is Indiegogo or kickstarter with an unusually low price bike. Sondors pulled it off, but his timing was impeccable. Trying to sell thousands of $500 bikes today would be much tougher than just the two years ago.

The business model I would be most concerned about is if they are a reseller of standard Chinese bikes.

Court raises this point in his reviews of lower priced ebikes, typically he suggests comparing retailers that offer customer service and warranty parts support out of a US physical location with others that offer no or crowd-sourced support. Other 'tells' are whether a low-price ebike retailer is making the effort to redesign their product in light of customer feedback, for example Populo redesigned the battery mount on their $1k Sport model after customers complained of the battery rattling around on the bike, the 2017 Sport's with the redesigned battery mount are reportedly much quieter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I am really looking a Canadian suppliers as I would like to support them. Voltbike, Easypedal, Teo and Vorpal are of interest to me. A a couple are very new (Vorpal, Teo) and one is very small (Easypedal). How do I proceed? Go with a big 3, forget Canadian, or see what LBS carry?

I am really looking a Canadian suppliers as I would like to support them. Voltbike, Easypedal, Teo and Vorpal are of interest to me.

You might also like to look at Ohm cycles and Grin tech in Vancouver, and eVox, Opus, and evo in Quebec. Ohm use Bionx motors that are designed and made in Canada, some evo models also use bionx. eVox assemble ebikes in Quebec using a unique belt drive motor that is separate from the bicycle drivetrain chain and is used in some ebikeshare systems. Opus and evo ebikes are designed in Quebec. Grin Tech is an awesome center of DIY build your own ebike knowledge.

Also ask about local recommendations on the Toronto electric riders forum https://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/messages/boards/

Last edited:
Do any of those companies manufacture in Canada? If so, give them preference. But, if all of them have the bikes made in China, it's a toss up. Find out what kind of parts supply they have. It's a big benefit if you don't have to wait for parts from China.

Do any of those companies manufacture in Canada? If so, give them preference. But, if all of them have the bikes made in China, it's a toss up.

Yes Bionx motors are designed and assembled in Aurora, ON, the battery cells are Sony made in Japan but it's probably the highest domestic motor content. The companies I mentioned in my previous post do the R&D or assembly in Canada but the battery cells and bicycle components and frames will for the most part be manufactured in the Far East.

To answer the OP, all the companies you mention are resellers of Chinese ebikes and simply put their own decals on, Court has reviewed several models from Voltbike on this website and I like they give you a free DoT polo style helmet. Check the return policy if you go with a direct to consumer ebike, ideally you want free return shipping or a local retailer, I tried out 2 or 3 kit motors before I settled on my BBS01 and battery shipping is expensive.

If you go with a big 3 ebike they have the economies of scale to be able to offer their ebikes in several sizes, local in-person shop support, and they will stand behind their warranty. Some of this years Class 1 pedelecs like the Specialized Turbo Como, Giant Explore E+, and Electra Townie Go! from Trek, have lower starting prices than in previous years, all are nice ebikes.

Last edited:
Just started looking into e bikes. Live in Ontario Canada and the LBS are limited in e bike choices. So my concern is the longevity of some e bike companies. How can you tell if a certain company is in for the long haul? Many companies seem small and run by the owners/ employee. It is nice to have the owner involved but does this really ensure it's longevity? What would indicate that a particular e bike brand is going to be in business in 10 years?
With over 100 different ebike brands, and nearly a new one coming out every month on Indiegogo, or Kickstarter, and barriers to entry so low, the odds are very high that 25% to 50% of the e-bike brands won't be around in 5 years or less. Its a LOT of competition for such a small North American market thus far, so a lot will come and go. I wouldn't worry so much about that though, as long as you spend enough money to get quality components such as Samsung or Panasonic batteries, High quality brake brands like Magura, or Avid, and if its a mid drive you prefer stick with a name like Bosch or maybe Yamaha or Shimano Steps. If you don't mind paying a premium, larger names like Trek, Giant, Raleigh, Fuji etc are likely to be around to support their e-bikes with a large enough dealer structure and base to offer some level of security they will be around at least as long as you want to use your e-bike. Since this is still an emerging technology concept (motors and li-ion batteries on bikes), there are going to continue to be a lot of improvements in a fairly short time frame, so whatever you buy today will likely be out done by new models and brands in a few short years. With that in mind, you may want to keep your budget low (say stay below $2500) and plan on upgrading to a new ebike in 3 or 4 years. (that is if you find you really want to keep e-biking). Maybe plan on handing your ebike off to another family member at that time, or trading it in for less than half what you paid which is likely to be the case, as used e-bikes do not hold their value very well. I get quite a few people to my shop who bought ebikes 3 or 4 years ago, that have issues, and the brands are no longer around, or the models have been discontinued. For repairs, the hardest part is getting an exact replacement to fit the battery compartment design, or the motor replaced with the right connections and controller match, because there are so many different ways these OEMs have found to connect the various components electronically. the safest approach would be to stick with a rear hub motor design, as those are the most common and dont require a special frame design (which these frames vary significantly for mid drive motors), and a rear rack battery mount (despite those are not aesthetically the best looking), as frame integrated batteries are varying a LOT in their designs, and the casings are evolving a lot, and very unique. Which could make battery replacement fairly challenging in a few years, if that OEM went out of business, or simply stopped making or supporting a particular casing design. Which would only leave the option of getting the battery rebuilt if it failed.
If you prefer Canadian OEM, check out Surface 604. They have been around a few years, but use very good components, offer a lot of value for the price point (below $2000), and have some very good reviews here by Court. Fairly sturdy frames, thicker tires, robust motors, for an ebike that should last awhile.

Northernboy, one thing to keep in mind when you decide what to do. Like cars, eBikes are depreciating assets, not investments. It is also an area where technology is changing rapidly and prices are coming down, so are you better off spending about 1.5k or so for a decent mail-order bike from one of the more reputable companies, or spending 3.5k and up for a Euro-type bike? Yes you will get more hand-holding if you buy the more expensive bike, but don't fool yourself - plenty of these companies have left customers with bikes where you can no longer get replacement batteries or parts. And most of these have mid-drive motors which put more wear and tear on the bike and will most likely need more upkeep. These bikes are profit makers for the bike shops (not that there's anything wrong with that) but are just as likely to be obsolete in the near future. If you spend 1/2 the cost on a simple bike like the SS-Glide you'll have a bike that for the most part uses easily replaceable components, will provide you with a lot of fun for the immediate future and when you want to replace it as newer models with newer features come out you won't have so much money invested in it. Of course there's pride of ownership in owning an expensive item, which shouldn't be discounted, but it's somewhat like buying a 7 series BMW knowing that the depreciation and maintenance cost is going to be insane.

Northernboy, one thing to keep in mind when you decide what to do. Like cars, eBikes are depreciating assets, not investments. It is also an area where technology is changing rapidly and prices are coming down, so are you better off spending about 1.5k or so for a decent mail-order bike from one of the more reputable companies, or spending 3.5k and up for a Euro-type bike? Yes you will get more hand-holding if you buy the more expensive bike, but don't fool yourself - plenty of these companies have left customers with bikes where you can no longer get replacement batteries or parts. And most of these have mid-drive motors which put more wear and tear on the bike and will most likely need more upkeep. These bikes are profit makers for the bike shops (not that there's anything wrong with that) but are just as likely to be obsolete in the near future. If you spend 1/2 the cost on a simple bike like the SS-Glide you'll have a bike that for the most part uses easily replaceable components, will provide you with a lot of fun for the immediate future and when you want to replace it as newer models with newer features come out you won't have so much money invested in it. Of course there's pride of ownership in owning an expensive item, which shouldn't be discounted, but it's somewhat like buying a 7 series BMW knowing that the depreciation and maintenance cost is going to be insane.

Sure you can get a cheaper bike, but you get cheap components. Cable disc brakes instead of hydraulic, small diameter rotors, cheap pad materials, cheaper shifters, cheaper derailleurs, cheaper tires, etc. It's definitely a personal preference, but I feel it's an odd choice for some I've read about that buy a cheap bike, then start buying higher end components as the cheap parts fail, or have to start replacing parts after they quickly wear out. Sondors guys are classics at this. Buy a $500 bike, then buy a $550 battery upgrade in a month. Then they start buying all the other components. Pretty soon they have another $1500 in that $500 bike

Most (probably all) US and Canada ebike shops are rebranding Chinese bikes with deep (or not so deep) customization.

So either you buy a bike that has very popular/common frame and learn to be handy yourself, or you do the research on each outfit yourself.

Or you can buy a BH bike with a 5 year warranty. Although for the easy motion volt model I looked at, they 1) don't sell battery separately, and 2) change model so often, I don't see the point of getting a 5 year warranty.

You can also go the semi-DIY route and buy a bike from Lunacycle. All their components are pretty interchangeable.

how do I find a replacement controller that resembles my OEM. The bicycle manufacturer is based out of Seattle but went out of business. I've bought two replacement controller on AliExpress however a good number of the wires and harnesses don't match. For instance brake wires on original controller have for wires but new one only has two. I've tried soldering them together to make two wires but that doesn't seem to work. after installing the replacement for which did not work at all, I reinstalled the original then it started jerking forward while sitting once I connected the power. Now there's nothing happening with the motor. I cross polarity at one point and had a large spark following fried wires. But somehow the bike continue to work 4 the time however decreased torque. that's what sparked me to buy a new controller. I noticed the connection wires are the quick plug attachment between Hub and controller was melted. I cut the wires and solder them directly without a quick release connection. Does it sound like the controller? I tried to resistance test on the mosfets and I'm not getting any negative resistance on all three negative mosfets. And getting a range of 0 to 5 on the positive. Any suggestions? Other than throwing it out.

how do I find a replacement controller that resembles my OEM. The bicycle manufacturer is based out of Seattle but went out of business. I've bought two replacement controller on AliExpress however a good number of the wires and harnesses don't match. For instance brake wires on original controller have for wires but new one only has two. I've tried soldering them together to make two wires but that doesn't seem to work. after installing the replacement for which did not work at all, I reinstalled the original then it started jerking forward while sitting once I connected the power. Now there's nothing happening with the motor. I cross polarity at one point and had a large spark following fried wires. But somehow the bike continue to work 4 the time however decreased torque. that's what sparked me to buy a new controller. I noticed the connection wires are the quick plug attachment between Hub and controller was melted. I cut the wires and solder them directly without a quick release connection. Does it sound like the controller? I tried to resistance test on the mosfets and I'm not getting any negative resistance on all three negative mosfets. And getting a range of 0 to 5 on the positive. Any suggestions? Other than throwing it out.
I would stop throwing good money after bad and try to get the bike repaired by someone. I looked up ebike shops in Tucson and saw this dealer. They sell bikes like the one in your avatar; they are listed on Google as also servicing ebikes.

http://www.cruzelectricbicycles.com/

There are other shops listed as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...ourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#istate=lrl:xpd

You never know, might be a $80 repair and you're rolling again.

Back