Dual Leg Kickstand

Ron from BC

My wife has an Interceptor and has just started towing a trailer for the puppy. The OEM kickstand in this application isn't cutting it and the bike can fall over. A solution to this is the dual leg kickstand so I'm curious if anyone uses one on their Pedego or has some experience with them.

This is one that I've come across:

Thanks in advance!

My wife has an Interceptor and has just started towing a trailer for the puppy. The OEM kickstand in this application isn't cutting it and the bike can fall over. A solution to this is the dual leg kickstand so I'm curious if anyone uses one on their Pedego or has some experience with them.

This is one that I've come across:

Thanks in advance!
I have it on our tandem and it works great even on uneven ground.
IMG_1699.jpg
IMG_1700.jpg

Before you jump too far ahead, you can usually adjust the foot length on those side stands to make them slightly longer and keep the bike more upright. That helps a lot with the tail heavy syndrome.

Check the back/side of the arm to see if the foot has a set screw to adjust..

I have an ESGE/Pletscher double leg kickstand on one bike. It's about 7 years old now and still going strong. I bought it because the one double leg stand I was using wasn't very wide at the ground level and wind kept blowing the bike over. The Pletscher is very wide, very stable and folds up on one side. Offered in black or silver.

UPDATE:

Well some said yes and others (Pedego) said no but after sufficient due diligence I took a leap of faith and bought the Ursus Jumbo 80 for the Interceptor. The Ursus comes with a silver steel plate which fits on the top should you be installing the stand behind the bottom bracket in between the rear wheel stays however if, in my case, it goes just forward of that you don't need to use it. I used the washer with the cone shaped bottom and the shorter of the two supplied bolts. Takes a minute or two to take the OEM stand off and put this one on and works great with one caveat.

When the stand is up the right leg does lightly rest against the side of the rear tire so over time it 'might' have some wear issues. There's no adjustment, left and right, for the stand so that's what you're left with. Now this stand operates so that both legs lower down using only one of the legs. My solution to this potential rubbing issue was to remove the stand, open the legs up and use some hockey tape to build up area on the right leg where is folds within the main housing of the stand.....if this makes sense. It doesn't take a lot of tape and you can do it quite neatly so it really doesn't show. Just this 1/16" 'shim' now has the right leg pulled away enough from the rear tire so that it's no longer an issue.

Thanks for other posters input.

UPDATE:

Well some said yes and others (Pedego) said no but after sufficient due diligence I took a leap of faith and bought the Ursus Jumbo 80 for the Interceptor. The Ursus comes with a silver steel plate which fits on the top should you be installing the stand behind the bottom bracket in between the rear wheel stays however if, in my case, it goes just forward of that you don't need to use it. I used the washer with the cone shaped bottom and the shorter of the two supplied bolts. Takes a minute or two to take the OEM stand off and put this one on and works great with one caveat.

When the stand is up the right leg does lightly rest against the side of the rear tire so over time it 'might' have some wear issues. There's no adjustment, left and right, for the stand so that's what you're left with. Now this stand operates so that both legs lower down using only one of the legs. My solution to this potential rubbing issue was to remove the stand, open the legs up and use some hockey tape to build up area on the right leg where is folds within the main housing of the stand.....if this makes sense. It doesn't take a lot of tape and you can do it quite neatly so it really doesn't show. Just this 1/16" 'shim' now has the right leg pulled away enough from the rear tire so that it's no longer an issue.

Thanks for other posters input.
One other thought might be to assess if lowering the stand with a 1/4" - 1/2"-ish rubber/plastic spacer between the stand and the frame might create a bit of clearance at the rub point. This would assume you have enough thread on the bolt to still fasten it down well, and the stand wouldn't hang too low, but since the slope of the tire surface begins to pull to the rear at that height, the tiny bit of drop might buy you an 8th or quarter of an inch? Just talkin out loud anyway....

I have an ESGE/Pletscher double leg kickstand on one bike. It's about 7 years old now and still going strong. I bought it because the one double leg stand I was using wasn't very wide at the ground level and wind kept blowing the bike over. The Pletscher is very wide, very stable and folds up on one side. Offered in black or silver.
I have a BV double leg kickstand, which I like a lot because you can spin the cranks freely without hitting the stand, so you can do gear adjustments or repairs on the side of the road. It's a similar idea to a Pletscher, but I'm finding that when you set it up and it twists, eventually the mounting bolt always works itself loose. I've tried red loktite with no success. I was wondering if you've had that type of problem with the Pletscher and if you did, how did you solve it.

I have a BV double leg kickstand, which I like a lot because you can spin the cranks freely without hitting the stand, so you can do gear adjustments or repairs on the side of the road. It's a similar idea to a Pletscher, but I'm finding that when you set it up and it twists, eventually the mounting bolt always works itself loose. I've tried red loktite with no success. I was wondering if you've had that type of problem with the Pletscher and if you did, how did you solve it.
I haven't had that problem. Maybe a new split lock washer could help? Lock washers are actually single use and after the first use they lose their sharp edge and tension. A good new split washer will have sharp edges that should bite into the frame and bolt and shouldn't allow it to come loose. Unfortunately never a guarantee though. Gremlins. Best of luck.

I think I'll just make a bracket that will fold over the front and rear of the kickstand, as well as over the chainstays. Combine that with a new lock washer and gobs of loktite and it should solve the problem. I'll post photos of the top bracket once I finish it.

Back