Dost Kope vs. Ride1Up LMT'D = $3k or Under to Spend THIS Weekend

cryptacle

Region
USA
After several test rides (Yamaha, Gazelle, Bulls), I'm back to my original approx. $2,500 budget. I'd love to indulge on a more expensive bike, but that is not in the cards for a supplemental e-bike.

Help me decide...I'm stuck between:

Ride1Up LMT'D
vs.
Dost Kope

I really like the mid-drive of the Kope (easier to change the tire; more balanced). I also like that it comes fully assembled and seems ready to ship in a few days.

But...

I really like the torque of the current generation LMT'D...and the lighter weight.

Any considerations before I make a move? I'm ordering this weekend...the research has turned from fun into obsessive misery! :)

Thanks!

P.S. - I also glanced at the Surface 604 Colt (unlocked to Class 3?).

Last edited:
If not for such as large price difference, I would pick the Dost. I wonder how much a spare battery is. That secondary battery is $700. Ride1Up spare batteries are under $400. I know quite a bit about the LMT'D, but not the Dost. Have you ordered, yet?

If not for such as large price difference, I would pick the Dost. I wonder how much a spare battery is. That secondary battery is $700. Ride1Up spare batteries are under $400. I know quite a bit about the LMT'D, but not the Dost. Have you ordered, yet?
Many of the delivery/assembly issues are worrying me about the LMT'D. But there's much less data/community around Dost.

I'm still torn between the two. The battery factor is a good consideration. I see about 900 full cycles for the Dost. Do you know how the LMT'D battery compares? And is pedaling it w/o power a beast? And finally, is changing a flat with the hub a royal pain? Thanks so much!

Ive been REALLY close to ordering a DOST Kope for my self...But keep waiting hoping these guys will be in stock soon..Better bike IMO

The Dost is using a Bafang BBS02, which is getting kinda long in tooth, especially as compared to the much newer Ultra motor with torque sensing. Worse, they're selling the bike at a price that's very similar to what Ultra powered bikes sell for.

2nd vote for checking out the Rize bikes, or maybe Biketrix.

As far as hub drive vs. mid drive, I have both, enjoy riding both, but beleive the hub drive is easier. If I'm lending a bike to a newbie or even to somebody with no previous high performance mid drive experience, they'll be getting the hub drive. It's much more forgiving....

Many of the delivery/assembly issues are worrying me about the LMT'D. But there's much less data/community around Dost.

I'm still torn between the two. The battery factor is a good consideration. I see about 900 full cycles for the Dost. Do you know how the LMT'D battery compares? And is pedaling it w/o power a beast? And finally, is changing a flat with the hub a royal pain? Thanks so much!
For some reason, I was thinking the Dost used a torque sensor. Since it's not, I would go with the LMT'D given the choice of those two bikes. However, they are changing LMT'D to a cadence sensor bike. They are still selling their inventory of torque sensor LMT'D's. Ride1Up has a video for rear wheel removal. I haven't had to do it on mine, yet.

Ride1Up lists the LMTD battery as "48V14ah Reention Eel Pro Samsung Cells, Smart BMS".
https://ride1up.freshdesk.com/suppo...-electric-bike-battery-health-do-s-and-dont-s
https://ride1up.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/65000170835-charging-your-battery

I have the 62 pound Ride1Up 700 series, and I think it's easy to pedal with PAS 0 on level ground. So, the LTM'D should be a good or better. I wouldn't want to ride up hills without power, though.

I was considering the Rize bikes last year and think they are worth a look also.

Last edited:
Back