Dost KOPE or Giant FastRoad E - EX PRO

Buckdubay

I have been a life long cyclist. However At 52 with hip replacement due to a car accident and a torn ACL and Meniscus that have been surgically repaired but still aren’t right, I find riding more difficult. I can still ride for an hour and cover about 12-13 miles on flats but throw some hills into the mix and all fun goes out the window. I can still push a big gear but can’t spin up the hills (high cadence kills the knee). Looking in to the Dost KOPE (I like the range and might like throttle) or the Giant Fastroad E - EXPRO (lighter and more similar to regular cycling ). Would love any input from people that are more knowledgeable since this would be my first ebike .

I'm a little biased, but that dual battery system, 120nM of torque, and the throttle are pretty nice.
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 4.15.30 PM.png

I
I'm a little biased, but that dual battery system, 120nM of torque, and the throttle are pretty nice.
View attachment 55870
The Dost has great features and I like your tongue in cheek post, but what is the “thing“ about the Dost Kope will make me part with $3200. I have read all the specs. watched the reviews, but I can’t take it for a test ride. Also I would have to wait until September for it to be shipped. Those along with it’s weight are the Cons I have. I love the torque and range. I think it is a good looking bike with a nice set up for lights and panniers. It really has a lot of Pros. How can you sell me on the Kope over a bike like the Giant Fastroad. I am testing a Giant at a LBS Saturday. The Giant can’t compete with your battery and it doesn’t have the throttle option. I am open minded an willing to be sold but it is hard to buy without a test ride. Both bikes are about the same price. I live in upstate NY on the opposite side of the continent form Dost headquarters, so I don’t know how I could ever try a Dost Kope.

If you need power to push you up the hills, you probably want an ebike with powerful motor and throttle.

Although Dost comes with a powerful motor and throttle, like you said, getting support might be a frustrating process.

Giant comes with a Yamaha motor, which is probably a 350W nominal and 80nm torque and has not throttle.

You may want to try Watt Wagons City Commuter. It's their newest and the most affordable model but should meet all your needs. They are also located in Boston, so it's somewhat of a local support. The owner @pushkar is very active on this forum and well regarded.

I posted the following configuration for another new ebike shopper which may work for you as well. The City Commuter goes about 30-35 miles with PAS.

You can read more about it on this thread.

For your budget and your needs City Commuter configuration I recommend is:
  • Default battery (you shouldn't need a 2nd one for the distance you're describing)
  • Suntour Mobie 45 suspension fork
  • Shimano G-C7000-5D 5-Speed IGH
  • Tektro 725 Brakes
  • Default rack
  • Default Light (Lezyne Macro 1000 Lumen)
  • Default Tail Light (It's brake actuated)
  • Carbon Riser Handlebar
  • 2A Charger
The total for that configuration should be $3297

If you go with the Magura MT5e Brakes then the total would come out to $3496

The bike comes standard with two top end components
  • Kinekt Suspension Seatpost
  • Brooks B17 Imperial Saddle
You also have to consider that this bike comes with Gate Carbon Belt Drive which requires no maintenance and will last 4 times longer than a chain/derailleur/cassette which you will need to maintain and replace.

Any reason you've narrowed it down to these two? What sort of cycling did you do prior to the accident? For example if you rode a road bike previously I'd be looking at that class (Specialized Turbo Vado SL, etc). Otherwise everything is going to feel heavy and blunt. Another matter if you're coming from MTB, gravel or hybrid biking of course.

Back