Does this forum need regional split?

Vim Fuego

So much poor advice here with regards to different rules on what's legal in different regions. Very few of the posts from people asking questions about a new bike address some of the key issues that have regional variances, and nobody wants their bike crushed or fines for riding illegal kit.

The key ones, motor output limit, pedal assistance Vs throttle, EPAC stamps.

THESE perhaps with different laws

Australia
Toggle Australia subsection
New South Wales
Victoria
Queensland
Canada
Toggle Canada subsection
Federal requirements
Provincial requirements for use
Alberta
British Columbia
Ontario
Manitoba
New Brunswick
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia
Prince Edward Island
Quebec
Saskatchewan
China
Toggle China subsection
Mainland
Hong Kong
Europe
Toggle Europe subsection
European Union definition
National requirements
Belgium
Denmark
Finland
Latvia
Norway
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
United Kingdom
India
Israel
Japan
New Zealand
Philippines
Russian Federation
Comparison
Toggle Comparison subsection
Comparison of US rules and regulations
United States
Toggle United States subsection
Federal laws and regulations on sales
Defined
State requirements for use
Alabama
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington

I think it would help quite a bit if folks could at least put their general location in their profile. I try to not give advice that doesn't apply to someone's region, but a lot of times you can't tell where someone is because they haven't input that in their profile.

I do wish the mobile interface would show location without going into the person's profile. I think the desktop version does, but I'm on mobile 99% of the time.

Im watching youtube vids where people are reporting the federal push for European ebike laws, there is a census form online and its filling up with people supporting everything above 15mph pedal assist as a moped or above .

I think subdividing the Forums makes little sense. We all are talking here and share our experiences for different regions.

I precisely know what the federal laws of the United States are, and I also know most of e-bikers there are fast & furious except several Forum members who could be my riding buddies. I know the rules of Canada, and I also know... :D

I am aware of the rules of the United Kingdom, which are so similar to the EU laws but the Brits seem to be wildly anarchist :)

When Sex Pistols had a bassist :)

I know what is ridden in Australia, and I know they have the brake levers and the rear-view mirror reversed the British way :) I know the Kiwis have no speed restriction but the motor power is limited by the law. I could say a word or two on Japan as well :)

AMA on the Euro e-bike laws :)

Last edited:
I vote no. Anyone thinking about buying a bike should first know the rules in their area.
I think this is more people replying to the OP. The people to respond don’t always check the OPs location.

I do agree, the rider should know the laws and regulations regarding their location. On the other hand, how many drivers actually know the traffic laws?

On the other hand, how many drivers actually know the traffic laws?
You have to pass both theoretical and practical exams in Poland to get the driving license. I assure you European drivers know the traffic laws by heart. In Norway, a new driver has to pass another test called "Ice Driving" after several months post obtaining the driving license :)

EBR has its share of sloppy reading and writing, underspecified questions, and answers that completely ignore specifics the OP did provide.

Rules will never change any of that. And many questions don't involve region-specific issues in the first place.

Besides, I view giving out advice as an important facet of the EBR forum but by no means the only one. Regionalization would harm the forum overall.

So, no regionalization, please.

EBR has its share of sloppy reading and writing, underspecified questions, and answers that completely ignore specifics the OP did provide.

Rules will never change any of that. And many questions don't involve region-specific issues in the first place.

Besides, I view giving out advice as an important facet of the EBR forum but by no means the only one. Regionalization would harm the forum overall.

So, no regionalization, please.
Totally agree.

I think their maybe some people who want to keep the rules murky. By doing this it might clear some of this up. Also there's that phrase that they don't enforce it.

EU (Inc UK) - Pedelec, 250W power limit and 25 km/h speed.

US, pretty much unregulated.

This is the huge divide, beyond that the regional details are very similar. The problem is Amazon will happily sell all sorts of illegal kit that will likely.end up getting crushed for law enforcement. Much of the advice here is bad advice, if you don't know someone's location.

The problem is Amazon will happily sell all sorts of illegal kit that will likely.end up getting crushed for law enforcement. Much of the advice here is bad advice, if you don't know someone's location.
There is a grain of truth in your comment. For instance, the EU by large rides totally different e-bikes than the US or Canada, and even the UK market specifics are not quite European. That's why I mostly talk with the North American owners of "Euro e-bikes", which of course follow the U.S. "three class system" or the Canadian provincial laws. No issue with most of Aussies (who in most of cases ride Euro e-bikes) or Kiwis (who often do ride Euro bikes even if the law is more lax there). A British person? It depends on what he or she rides.

There's nothing worse than a situation when a European joins the EBR Forums, asks for an advice and there come people with their 20" Chinese folders or DIY builders talking e-bike conversions.

All becomes easier if the new member puts their region in their profile. That should be a mandatory field.

This forum is so mild on the electric bike spectrum. On some other forums people the world over put upto,and beyond, 10 kilowatts into their motors. Thems is motorcycles. I gave up trying to convince people of the beauty of a bicycle. Some of us need some assist for our old broken bodies, and just want to enjoy the journey. Though, I will admit, when I was new to riding a fully capable ebike I was drunk with speed.

Though, I will admit, when I was new to riding a fully capable ebike I was drunk with speed.
This could be pertaining to many of us. When I bought my first (totally Euro!) e-bike, I was climbing at a really high speed where traditional everyday cyclists had to pedal hard. And... I crashed into a female traditional cyclist! Fortunately, no-one was hurt and neither bike was damaged. The lady in question said in disbelief 'I would understand a lot but not the fact you were actually accelerating up the hill!' A few days later, I tried overtaking another traditional cyclist and survived a really bad crash. The realisation I didn't need to ride fast at all took me a long time...

There is a division between Forum e-bikers into these who want to pedal and those who want to have their ass being carried. We have our own share of idiots in Europe (perhaps even more idiots in Poland!) but generally people here understand the term cycling as 'pedalling'. A Polish guy entered these Fora four years ago and asked if a used Stromer would be good for his wife. Of course, that idea was met with a great applause from several members here. I opposed that idea because:
  • No one knew how that Stromer was used by the original owner (it could be even stolen in West Europe!)
  • There was no service or warranty for Stromers in Poland
  • Stromer was extremely heavy while the people in questions needed an e-bike for bikepacking expeditions
  • Stromer (if healthy) is an illegal e-bike in the EU unless it is a limited version made by the Swiss for the German market
  • Stromer uses many proprietary parts and a Direct Drive hub motor, which might be good for a commute but not for the touring
  • The couple in question were healthy strong people who wanted to pedal the e-bike (not to be carried by it)
Today, she rides a Giant Explore+ and he owns a Specialized Vado SL. They are on a multi-day tour right now, and cannot be more happier. They also have local LBSes for servicing, and a valid warranty for the newer of the e-bikes.

If that couple followed the "yes yes Stromer is the best!" advice from the New World members, they would have hated the day they asked EBR people for an advice.

Last edited:
Back