does the bafang m 600 motor suck ?

I have first hand experience with Ultra, M600 with metal gear, M600 with quiet gear. With metal gear the M600 is obnoxiously loud. Many of those claiming it wasn't that bad ended up switching when Luna came out with the quiet gear. šŸ˜… With the quiet gear the M600 is acceptable, I'd say slightly louder than the Ultra, but with a somewhat different tone. The M600 with quiet gear is more of a fluty tone. Since you can get the quiet gear I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the noise. It's the lack of programability and substandard torque sensing to worry about as those are harder to fix. Supposedly there is new bafang firmware, but you need to get your hands on the BESST tool to flash it, assuming you can find anyone willing to sell it. See the M600 thread on ES:

I am hoping to eventually flash the 43V firmware (only downside seems to be battery % will display wrong, but no biggie if you monitor volts). If that doesn't fix my issues I will pay the piper when innotrace comes out with a controller for the M600.

I have first hand experience with Ultra, M600 with metal gear, M600 with quiet gear. With metal gear the M600 is obnoxiously loud. Many of those claiming it wasn't that bad ended up switching when Luna came out with the quiet gear. šŸ˜… With the quiet gear the M600 is acceptable, I'd say slightly louder than the Ultra, but with a somewhat different tone. The M600 with quiet gear is more of a fluty tone. Since you can get the quiet gear I'm not sure I'd worry too much about the noise. It's the lack of programability and substandard torque sensing to worry about as those are harder to fix. Supposedly there is new bafang firmware, but you need to get your hands on the BESST tool to flash it, assuming you can find anyone willing to sell it. See the M600 thread on ES:

I am hoping to eventually flash the 43V firmware (only downside seems to be battery % will display wrong, but no biggie if you monitor volts). If that doesn't fix my issues I will pay the piper when innotrace comes out with a controller for the M600.
This, a 100%!!!

I own two FLX Step Throughs with M600s. This motor is friggin loud. I personally don't mind it much and don't really even hear it too much as I ride with headphones on.

I'd love to get the Luna silent gear but its been sold out on the site for months unfortunately. Yea, the lack of programmability is what really sucks. I'm so envious of all the BBS owners that can use the eggrider.

Sadly it actually seems like manufacturers are moving away from the M600 so future support and development for it seems even less likely now.

I expected my bike to be able to throttle from a stand still but it seems that functionality was somehow turned off. Can others confirm whether their M600 has throttle capability from a standstill? Thanks.

My Luna X1 does throttle from standstill. Need to be in PAS 1 or higher.

Since you bought from FLX I would try to get a hold of the BESST tool from them. It's only $100 (currently out of stock) but they wouldn't sell it to me. They will if you bought your motor from them. This is something you should be able to change via updated firmware from FLX or Bafang if you can't change the setting with the BESST tool (either way you need the tool).

How is your PAS smoothness in PAS 1-2 of 5? Is it as choppy and unusable as Luna's programming below PAS 3?

I thought G510 is the model number of the motor itself, and M620 is the model number of the "Drive System", which includes a G510 motor, C18 Display, Sensor, battery etc... But I don't think it has anything to do with the gears so much. I think that's just up to each vendor.
they are both the same motor ,I believe the 510 number is the China model numbers,and the 620 ( also called Bafang Ultra ) is USA model version. they are the identical products . amazing motor, and they make a fantastic controller for it a Achon x1 one which I believe Tom from this forum introduced I believe everyone to it if you haven't heard about it when I hear it's amazing I'll post when I get it it's going to be a while cuz I don't have the bike yet

Last edited:
they are both the same motor ,I believe the 510 number is the China model numbers,and the 620 ( also called Bafang Ultra ) is USA model version. they are the identical products . amazing motor, and they make a fantastic controller for it , Achon X1 which I believe Tom from this forum introduced I believe everyone to it. if you haven't heard about it, I hear it's amazing I'll post when I get it it's going to be a while cuz I don't have the .

Last edited:
My research to date has the original Ultra Max G510 coming with the plastic gear, that was later updated to metal. The M620, which is the same as the G510, comes from the factory with steel gears. To my knowledge, that's the only difference.

Nope. No difference. Bafang hasn't used plastic gears in the Ultra other than early models 2+ years ago. Back then they didn't refer to the motor as M620, that's all.

Clearly the metal gear is noisier. So the question would be, what is stock, plastic or steel gears? My bet is steel, but I could be wrong.
The plastic gears is much quieter, I have a Frey cc I believe it has metal gears

Back